Meaning of the Homunculus Symbol
    The End-kun
    Otaku Lvl
    Thanks

Default Meaning of the Homunculus Symbol

Spoiler :  

So anyone knows what this symbol from Full Metal Alchemist mean? When I first saw it I thought the serpent was Jormugandr from norse mythology but it seems I was wrong and it is Ouroboros which represents eternal recurrence. But what does it symbolize as a whole... is that all to it or there is something more?

Upload
    1270 Video(s)
    Otaku Lvl
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

As far as I recall, I first found the existence Ouroboros on RE.I tried looking for this before when Im already watching FMAB and my conclusion is on wiki itself as well.

The alchemists, who in their own way knew more about the nature of the individuation process than we moderns do, expressed this paradox through the symbol of the Ouroboros, the snake that eats its own tail. The Ouroboros has been said to have a meaning of infinity or wholeness. In the age-old image of the Ouroboros lies the thought of devouring oneself and turning oneself into a circulatory process, for it was clear to the more astute alchemists that the prima materia of the art was man himself. The Ouroboros is a dramatic symbol for the integration and assimilation of the opposite, i.e. of the shadow. This 'feed-back' process is at the same time a symbol of immortality, since it is said of the Ouroboros that he slays himself and brings himself to life, fertilizes himself and gives birth to himself. He symbolizes the One, who proceeds from the clash of opposites, and he therefore constitutes the secret of the prima materia which [...] unquestionably stems from man's unconscious.
    The famous Ouroboros drawing from the early alchemical text The Chrysopoeia of Cleopatra dating to 2nd century Alexandria encloses the words hen to pan, "one is the all". Its black and white halves represent the Gnostic duality of existence. As such, the Ouroboros could be interpreted as the Western equivalent of the Taoist Yin-Yang symbol.
    The concept of recycle is what first come to my mind on Ouroboros cause its basically a circle. And circle do represent repeated act. And as for the anime, the repeated act is the war on the story or better to say the process of making a large transmutation circle.

As for the second idea, "one is the all" is something what Ouroboros means as well while describing the whole concept of Alchemy. "One is the all" is simply the same reason why FMAB keep holding on the concept of " Law of Equivalent Exchange". Basically its about sacrificing something to gain something in equal value. The law is used flawlessly on the anime like to break out the concept of Philosopher's Stone(which ironically an important part of Ouroboros sigil when it comes to alchemy) and make things ideal.

And lastly, the creation of Philosopher's Stone(as the elixir of life since that its what being used on the anime). Sticking to the first two thing I mentioned, sacrificing lives to create an ideal power. The continuous and repeated cycle of war became the pathway to stick with the idea of "one is the all" to successfully meats the ideal of FMAB trying to show.

Apparently Ouroboros itself is like the core concept which is hardly notice by watchers cause the anime tried to focus more on the process of making the stone not explaining what Ouroboros means on Alchemy.

"The trick to running is to stay M-A-D. M for 'move ever forward'. A for 'always accelerate', and D for 'dash and don't stop'. If you don't follow those rules, you'll be doing the same thing tomorrow." - Owari no Chronicle

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mlcdl For This Useful Post:

Ragnarok (06-04-2012), Xenciao (06-08-2012)

The End-kun
    Otaku Lvl
    Thanks

wow... you covered everything
    I just thought it meant something else because of the triangle.
    It kinda reminded me of the Illuminati pyramid.

Upload
    1270 Video(s)
    Otaku Lvl
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

I only tried to point out the core cause I had a hard time understanding it at first as well. Well the triangle means nothing on Achemy so its basically more into the dragon eating its tail.

"The trick to running is to stay M-A-D. M for 'move ever forward'. A for 'always accelerate', and D for 'dash and don't stop'. If you don't follow those rules, you'll be doing the same thing tomorrow." - Owari no Chronicle