Lurker Mod

Upload
    125 Video(s)
    Otaku Lvl
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

Default AnoHana (Series Discussion)

What do you think of this show?

Personally, it makes me feel quite melancholy thinking about how friends change and good times will never be the same again. I am going to college this fall and I know I will probably never see a lot of my friends anymore.

Also do you think Menma is a ghost or a hallucination that can somehow influence reality? Maybe the MC is a telepath...just kidding. But really, she can make bad muffins and eat barbeque and even go home to her own family and knock things down; Menma, what is she?

What do you think about this show?

Spoiler :  
    Last edited by solidoxygen; 05-12-2011 at 11:06 PM.
    >streaming

Kawaii Alluka's Onii-chan

Kukuroo Mountain, Dentora, Republic of Padokia
    Upload
    578 Video(s)
    Otaku Lvl
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

College is indeed different from high school. I'm in college, that's why I can tell~ I have friends whom I'm so close with in high school, BUT now, when we see each other in school, there's a sense of IGNORING each other. IDK why, but maybe because of influence. They have different friends now, so as I. BUT I talk to them sometimes, though not like before. BUT there are also some who stays the same~ :)

Spoiler :  

To this anime, Ano Hana, well I guess this made me realize what friends are and what could they be. I guess it has some good moral lessons to teach me, well maybe to others too. And MENMA? I guess she's a ghost.. hehe.. well, I forgot the episode, but I think it's the time when she visits her home? That episode makes me think that she's really a ghost~ :D

Otaku Lvl
    Thanks

All i know is im Deff gonna cry at one point in this show but, thats what makes this anime great i think.

/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Upload
    1769 Video(s)
    Otaku Lvl
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,489 Times in 333 Posts

For me Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae o Boku-tachi wa Mada Shiranai is one of the season's best shows--if not the best. Although I'm concurrently following five other shows ([C] - The Money and Soul of Possibility, Gosick, Beelzebub, Denpa Onna to Seishun Otoko, and Hana-Saku Iroha), AnoHana is the only show which consistantly makes me feel something when I'm wathing it. Even the most amusing antics are tinged with a subtle despair that I find particularly enticing. I enjoy the fact that it manages to pull on the viewer's heartstrings without relying on a heavy dose of oppressive depression.

Aside from that, the characters are all being excellently fleshed out in a way that isn't often seen in contemporary anime. Each figure has a distinct and highly individualized personality. Not a single character easily fits into the cookie-cutter molds which seem to be so prevalent in anime nowadays. They are all, for better or worse, incredibly human with normal human flaws and weaknesses. I look forward to watching the revelations about each person unfold each week. Hopefully Tsuruko's story will be unveiled next week!

As for Menma . . . I'm not quite sure what to make of her yet. In my opinion, she seems more like a catalyst than an actual character. I like the effect the memory of her has on the other characters regardless of whether they can see her or not. Knowing whether she's a ghost, or hallucination, or something else entirely isn't really that important to me.

The End-kun
    Otaku Lvl
    Thanks

I think it's a great show but it has its flaws...
    Spoiler :  

Otaku Lvl
    Thanks

Can't detail my thoughts about this show yet...but for now all I can say is it's a good one and probably one of the best for this season.
    And I feel like that this anime will have a freaking tear jerking ending. XD

Lurker Mod

Upload
    125 Video(s)
    Otaku Lvl
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ceres View Post
    ...As for Menma . . . I'm not quite sure what to make of her yet. In my opinion, she seems more like a catalyst than an actual character. I like the effect the memory of her has on the other characters regardless of whether they can see her or not. Knowing whether she's a ghost, or hallucination, or something else entirely isn't really that important to me.
    Yeah, I think I like this theory the best. Although she does things that would be indicative of her being a ghost, I agree that they are probably intended as a tool to show the emotions of the characters.

You're right, trying to think about just what she is doesn't further the viewing experience at all.
    >streaming

/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Upload
    1769 Video(s)
    Otaku Lvl
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,489 Times in 333 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by solidoxygen View Post
    . . . Although she does things that would be indicative of her being a ghost, I agree that they are probably intended as a tool to show the emotions of the characters . . .
    I noticed something interesting about Menma's character this week that prompted me to go back and skim through the earlier episodes: she alternates between First and Third Person depending on the situation. Usually she uses First Person when speaking but there have been several occasions when she abruptly switches to Third Person in the middle of an ongoing conversation.

For example, this switch happened when they were all gathered at the secret fort and Yukiatsu appeared and stated that he had just seen Menma. As the others went tearing off into the woods she chased after them yelling that she wanted to see Menma as well. She didn't say that she wanted to see "herself" as would have been normal (relatively speaking). I personally think that's rather odd.

It also always happens whenever the topic of conversation drifts to the subject of her death or the state of her soul (e.g. whether or not she's in heaven/Nirvana or at peace). I just can't decide if she does it to distance herself from the topic at hand, or if it's indicative of her status . . . whatever that might be.

Also, I'm disappointed that we didn't get Tsuruko's backstory this week :(

:::Colorless:::
    Upload
    38 Video(s)
    Otaku Lvl
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ceres View Post
    I noticed something interesting about Menma's character this week that prompted me to go back and skim through the earlier episodes: she alternates between First and Third Person depending on the situation. Usually she uses First Person when speaking but there have been several occasions when she abruptly switches to Third Person in the middle of an ongoing conversation.

For example, this switch happened when they were all gathered at the secret fort and Yukiatsu appeared and stated that he had just seen Menma. As the others went tearing off into the woods she chased after them yelling that she wanted to see Menma as well. She didn't say that she wanted to see "herself" as would have been normal (relatively speaking). I personally think that's rather odd.

It also always happens whenever the topic of conversation drifts to the subject of her death or the state of her soul (e.g. whether or not she's in heaven/Nirvana or at peace). I just can't decide if she does it to distance herself from the topic at hand, or if it's indicative of her status . . . whatever that might be.

Also, I'm disappointed that we didn't get Tsuruko's backstory this week :(
    Speaking in third person is common in anime female characters, its supposed to be cute.
    When she talks about finding "Meinma" in third person that was also supposed to be cute and funny.
    Its probably not something that will add to the storyline, just something that builds on her personality.

She avoids the topic of the reason she is there because she knows that once she solves the problem she will have to leave everyone. She just enjoys being with them and particularly Yadomi.

Spoiler :  

Not my genre but most likely the best anime this season.

Otaku Lvl
    Thanks

Well it's a good show but it do has it's fallbacks.
    THE ECCHI EMPEROR!

Lurker Mod

Upload
    125 Video(s)
    Otaku Lvl
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

Heck I thought I understood how Menma worked but episode 9 just changed everything.

Spoiler :  

I don't know if I like how this is going. One thing I'm sure of is that Anal is my favorite character in this show.
    >streaming

OS Regular
    Otaku Lvl
    Thanks

I'm currently on episode back (fall behind >.>) and I think it's a great series and has a lot of potential. It's almost my favorite series this summer so far

OS Supporter

Otaku Lvl
    Thanks

probably she is the ghost that only Jinta can see it... is it because she loves Jinta? Ever since episode 8, I've been eager to see what's going to happen next!!! >.<

Otaku Lvl
    Thanks

Haven't watched ep 8 yet but, I will hope for the best.

Otaku Lvl
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

Haven't watched episode 9 yet since its not yet uploaded here in OS. I don't want to watch in other Sites. =_=

Its a good story. I leaves a question to me, If Menma is only Jintan's Hallucination or She's true? Well I think she really is true. She can cook. I only watched some of the episode 9 and It answered the question "If Menma is only Jintan's Hallucination or She's true?" Its story really touches me. Well, I have Friends that aren't really true. My Childhood Friends, they all changed. "Ignorance" that applies in a blink of an Eye. Yes, "Ignorance". Even your eyes met they'll completely Ignore you. The same thing in Ano Hana. Yukiatsu is very cold to Jintan and don't even think of him as a Friend, plus he Hate and Envy Jintan. But that situation is changing through Episodes.

I'll post it here after I watch the episode 9 if I have other thoughts.
    Read the RULES
    *CFPH community forums signature:*

‎Insanity at its finest.

OS Regular
    Otaku Lvl
    Thanks

I watched it episodes 6, 7, and 8. I am currently going to watch episode 9. (I can't wait any longer) I thought episode 8 was very good, and I was surprised that Menma's mother actually hates Menma's friends? (I kinda felt bad for her too when she was crying) I am also getting very annoyed at Yukiatsu when he was pushing and shoving Jintan, and to me he also seems likes he doesn't want to forget his past.

Otaku Lvl
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

Now, I've watched episode 9. =_=

Well, They're all living in the Past. Yukiatsu really cares for Menma since he loved her. In episode 9 Yukiatsu swallowed his pride and begged the father of Menma for them to make Fireworks. Hmmm, They're all building their bonds together. I like the part when Tsuruko hugs Anjou. XD They Look cute. Menma can write in her diary but not in other paper? That leaves a question to me.

Can't wait for the Release of episode 10. =_=
    Read the RULES
    *CFPH community forums signature:*

‎Insanity at its finest.

Otaku Lvl
    Thanks

I just finished this series recently... and I had high expectations for this one because of all the recommendations and positive review...
    Well... it is interesting at some point and I like the love polygon situation... I dunno but I kinda don't feel the male protaganist... but I love Anaru, Yukiatsu and Tsuruko... I like how they cling on to they're unrequited love and the drama behind that...

the Confused one o: deathcherry's Avatar
    Otaku Lvl
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

I have finished this anime and I give it two thumbs up. ^^ The ending brought me to tears T^T such sad anime. It made me realize more and more the value of friendship. Friendship should be timeless and everlasting which is what that anime may want to show. I just noticed though, seems like all of them were living in the past, and I think that's because of the impact Menma had on them. Anyways,
    the love polygon going on in the anime was also something, I like how they continue to love this certain person despite of their unrequited love. T^T

Otaku Lvl
    Thanks

It's a good show but not perfect it like many has it's flaws but overall very entertaining