Handbrake Guide For Dummy (Simplified)
    E x c a v a t o r ©

Upload
    643 Video(s)
    Otaku Lvl
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

Default Handbrake Guide For Dummy (Simplified)

Handbrake Guide for Dummy

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Version 0.1 - HB Guide Simplified Released ; 20/7/2016
    Version 0.2 - Added Preset Step because Dudette reminded me ; 20/7/2016
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Introduction

Why hello there fellow members who are interested in learning the way of uploading. You have come across to the simplified guide on how to use the program name, “Handbrake” or HB for short. Count yourself lucky to even reach here. Now stick with me for a while.

Few years ago, I actually have written a very in-depth explanation about HB. If you are interested just head there and read each one thoroughly. Don’t worry, it will be INTERESTING. Learning new stuff is fun.
    The link to my in-depth tutorial is in the link below:

Be advice, you may notice just a little bit different in my guide here and there since I have not update that thread for awhile. Therefore I use this one to add a bit what missing. What I suggest to you is improvise. Again, I have put a very thorough explanation there. It is useful.

That guide man, it was written when I was still a brat at heart. Just don’t mind some of the words I put in there. It was a year where being edgelord was a thing. Haha.

Put that aside, it is still relevance. Handbrake have not done any drastic change to their interface and settings. I have pretty much share all my knowledge about what do’s and don’ts when encoding in there.
    My goal is just to reduce redundancy. As in, the user of HB or any similar program, that is probably going to be you in the future, will be able to solve your own video problem occurring during the encoding process.

Believe me when I said,

“What matters is the SETTINGS, as long you got the right settings, any encoder program can do the similar jobs and still able to provide a similar quality.”
    Therefore, what does this guide do if I already explained everything in the previous one?

The answer is pretty simple really.

1. As per the title, some of you guys are a DUMMY.
    2. To make a tl;dr version of the previous guide for this DUMMY.
    3. To try not to overwhelm beginners.
    4. To get e-FAME. Hahahaha

*cough*

Jokes aside, please don’t take my reason seriously. The tl;dr part is true though. I got PM saying it is TOO LONG. You guys don't have patience huh when reading?

Honestly speaking, this guide was originally made for our dear moderator named Dudette. Trust me, I have call Dudette DUMMY so many times I lost count while I teach Dudette. To keep the aesthetics values, I keep some of the originality intact for laugh.
    (Dudette will kill me later for this but YOLO)

This guide will be simple as learning ABC, follow this through, and you will get a fully functioning HB with an optimum setting that can encode a very good quality video to your need. More importantly, for OS streaming purpose of course.
    It can be for yourself too if you need to reduce your video size for saving purpose.

-----00-----00-----00-----00-----00-----00-----00-----00-----00-----

STEP 1

Download the program. Hell, you need it first dummy. Otherwise, how can you start the next step?

My HB guide before primarily use the Nightly Builds. My suggestion is to just use the original build. Why? Less hassle since Nightly Builds can be a pain in the *** sometimes. Trust me it does.

Original Build - https:/brake.fr/ (RECOMMENDED)
    Nightly Build - https:/brake.fr/nightly.php

Please download either 32bit or 64bit version depending on your operating system. Just choose one.

Step 2

Install it. Yep pretty much install it. What? You need me to teach you how to install too? Oh you dummy.

Step 3

Now run the Handbrake. You will see the interface is like this.

Step 4

Before anything, I want you guys go to the preferences first.

In the General setup I want the “Show Advanced Encoder Options Tab” to be selected.

Press Back button once you’re done.

Step 5

Load video by pressing “Source” and choose File.

And your video will be loaded to the program like this,

Step 6

Okay from this point forward, I will show what to do after you load the source aka the video you want to encode.
    Just follow what is in the picture.

Select your “Destination” for the encoded file by clicking the button Browse. Be it desktop or any of your preferred folder.

Example

Make sure the Output Settings is like this for OS encoding purpose! Otherwise, ehh it is up to you.

Step 7

Picture Tab

Remember to use this 480p setup for OS. The standard definition. What matter is the Height only.
    Make sure to select Keep Aspect Ratio. Anamorphic to None.

Step 8

Video Tab

Make sure to tick the Use Advanced Tab instead. We will be using Advanced Tab to control the settings.
    Other than that, just follow the picture setup.

Step 9

Audio Tab

Click Add Track if the HB did not detect the audio track of the video. Otherwise follow the picture.
    Mixdown to Stereo most of the time if available.

Now then, a little bit of info here.
    If you are the user of old HB or MAC user, the option for HE-AAC still exist for you, so use that.
    Otherwise for the recent release of HB, they remove the HE-AAC codec,
    therefore, my suggestion is to just use AAC-passthrough to just copy the audio. Less hassle.

HB with HE-AAC

HB without HE-AAC

Step 10

Subtitles Tab

Press Add Track to add subtitle that is in the video.
    Tick the Burn In to make sure the subtitles appear in the video after the encoding process.

Step 11

Chapters Tab

Untick the Create chapter markers.
    Video with chapter markers will cause a problem on the video player in OS for reason I don’t know why.

Step 12

Advanced Tab

Just follow what the settings in the picture shown.
    For further breakdown on the settings, go read my previous guide that I have linked above or you can look at my signature and click the "Encoding Tutorial".
    It will be worth it. Maybe you will get even smarter and graduate from a dummy.

Step 13

Click “Add to Queue” to add the video to the queue.

If you have another video to be encoded, you can repeat Step 5 to Step 13 again.

Once you’re ready, click “Start Encode”.

Congratulations, you have encoded your first video!

Extra Step

To make your life easier after this, save all the setting into one preset.
    Press Add button at the bottom right to save your settings.

and if you feel like sharing your preset you can always export them by going to options. If someone give them their preset, use import option.

Load the video you want to encode and click the preset. After that only do Step 6, 7, 8, 10, 11 and 13 only.

There you go. Simple enough for you dummy? I hope so~
    If you are having problem with it, PM me.
    Thank you for reading till the end.

Last edited by FiQ5149; 07-21-2016 at 08:31 AM.
    "Misfortune is just a test before we receive our blessing. Be patient" - FiQiZ

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to FiQ5149 For This Useful Post:

camillalala (08-20-2016), Dudette09 (07-19-2016), FAT4LS (09-10-2016), Koryuu (03-23-2017), KuraiTamashi (02-15-2017), Rageless (07-19-2016), witchLeen (07-25-2016)

Below Average

Upload
    1074 Video(s)
    Otaku Lvl
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,129 Times in 232 Posts
    Blog Entries

Pssh, you forgot the word "ADORB!!" But great tutorial, Fiquuuu. You made it so easy in here but it was hard before, lol. Peace out~ ^_^v

"A nightmare dressed like a daydream."

=>LURKER OF THE DARK OS<=
    Upload
    195 Video(s)
    Otaku Lvl
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

great tutorial fiq ! im using hb too ! but the old version !!

Thanks

LV taught me in fewer steps, and advised making a preset to make future uploads require next to no work at all. But good walkthrough, screenshots add a nice touch to it! *Thumbs up*
    "WHY ISN'T IT WORKING??!"

E x c a v a t o r ©

Upload
    643 Video(s)
    Otaku Lvl
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

If you guys have any question, remember to fire it away here or PM me.
    "Misfortune is just a test before we receive our blessing. Be patient" - FiQiZ

Anime Revolutionist
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by martindude View Post
    LV taught me in fewer steps, and advised making a preset to make future uploads require next to no work at all. But good walkthrough, screenshots add a nice touch to it! *Thumbs up*
    Two nifty things I'd note about Handbrake that aren't (yet) mentioned here, but might help out some uploaders.

1. On Windows, you can actually drag-and-drop videos into the workable space in the Handbrake window to make them the current active video in Handbrake, with the currently selected Preset's settings being applied to the video. I found that this actually sped up the time that it took for me to encode a large amount of episodes, because it saved me the time of having to manually open the 'Source' menu for every single video, and adjust settings accordingly for the file name, etc. Videos can also be queued up in this fashion, as well.

2. You can also open up Tools > Options > Output Files and set the automatic file naming settings to automatically name your resulting files for you based on certain criteria. I found that this only really helped me if I was encoding more than 2-3 videos for a single series at once, since that's the kind of situation that you can make editing this field save you some time.

Hopefully this is useful information to some. After using Handbrake for 4,000+ encodes, I found that these methods helped shave a small amount of time off for each video, and it added up to a lot over time.

Cheers,

LV

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LastVanguard For This Useful Post:

KuraiTamashi (02-15-2017), Shintendochi (06-05-2017)