Does Fan-service Add to an Anime?
    Gao~ :3
    Upload
    1 Video(s)
    Otaku Lvl
    Thanks

Default Does Fan-service Add to an Anime?

The obligatory panty-shot, the character who is there just to have big breasts, and the classic "walking in on someone changing/showering" scene. Loads of anime use them constantly.

I feel like fan-service is sometimes used a cheep filler. There are some well-written shows that can use sexuality well, and tie it in with the overall feeling of the anime. The angles and imagery in
    Bakemonogatari, for example, do well with portraying how a character feels or how they are seen through the eyes of another. Then I look at Highschool of the Dead, and see a show with a really good story and well-written characters, flooded with jiggling body-parts.

As a man, I can't say I don't enjoy a good bouncing breast now and again. Yet, I sometimes feel that they just throw a pair of boobs or a panty-shot at me just to appeal to me with sex. Which isn't as interesting to me as a very well put together and thought out plot.

However, this is just my opinion, and I am wondering what anyone else thinks about this.

Thanks

Well, based from what i saw, and observed in High School of The Dead, It's like every 5 minutes is a fan-service.lol ..Well back to your question. Sometimes every anime series goes from Serious mode to Comedy mode, Ecchi scenes mode to Serious battle scenes mode right? Well, Ecchi anime always gives the fan-service..I can only say that Fan-service for me, though i'm not a huge fan of it, It's just an add on for the scenes.. like how the "Feels mode" suddenly turned into a "Panty Shot comedy Mode" for you just to forget and be entertained a litte.. To put it on a simple matter of sentence. Fan services in animes are normal but it really depends on how the story or anime blends with the add ons (Fan services)

"Okay, and that's the end. For an ugly guy like me, a love story won't just start out of somewhere. This is reality"
    ~Motoyama

=>LURKER OF THE DARK OS<=
    Upload
    195 Video(s)
    Otaku Lvl
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

well to me ! its just add some spice and doesn't add up to the whole plot !

Anime Revolutionist
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

Personally, it's entirely subjective, and varies from person to person. Speaking for myself, I'd prefer anime had no fan-service whatsoever, since I can't recall a single instance where it actually contributes to the story in a believable and contextually-correct way.

Since my roommate forced me into watching the new To-Love-Ru Darkness OVA last night, the amount of pointless fan-service in that anime frankly disturbed me. Good luck trying to look for a plot in that one; unless you're one of the people that considers the fan-service to be the "plot".

Would prefer a solid storyline and sincere relationships to meaningless ecchi and fan-service moments any day.

Otaku Lvl
    Thanks

Same opinion as LV depends on the watcher~

He Who Must Not Be Named FAT4LS's Avatar
    Otaku Lvl
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

before, i really like fan-service and stuffs....but as the time pass by....you will just realize how pointless and unnecessary it is....but most importantly...a fan service can only be have if it doesn't have a story at all.....it can be too random sometimes.... so yeah...i grew tired of it lol...to tell you the truth..i have not watch any ecchi/fan-service anime....this year lol...but still... remember this... "Each to their own"

Thanks

I think it depends on the series. If its one that's designed around the idea of fanservice, such as a comedy, harem, or something similar (such as To Love Ru) then fanservice fits in nicely. However, I do find it to be somewhat jarring and fairly unamusing if its thrown in randomly in a series that doesn't really need it. I think a lot of series have a nice balance, such as Guilty Crown, Index, Fairy Tail, etc.

I don't usually watch shows where fanservice is the main focus, but I do think fanservice does contribute a bit to setting the mood between serious parts of a show.

Thanks

It depends on the anime, I have seen more than a handfull of ecchi series that I had to give up on. If the story is lacking the overflow of ecchi is too awkward to watch, I don't mind it normally and could be considered an ecchi fan. But please, a fun or otherwise story or a decent romance with some loveable characters in it, then we are good.
    "WHY ISN'T IT WORKING??!"

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Fan-service often goes overboard. Although, I feel like it's not really a device for adding to the plot but for adding to the fan base. For example, I have a couple friends who will only watch some anime because the excess of shirtless scenes or glimpses of panties.

Otaku Lvl
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

Same opinion as Taku~

The Artistic Writer
    Otaku Lvl
    Thanks

To me, fan service does nothing for me but add a sense of ridiculousness. Being a girl, the panty shot bothers me more than anything. I have seen the big breast character or jiggly parts more than anything -.-

I know the fan service is directed to those who enjoy that sort of thing, mostly males, so I usually just deal with it just to get to the actual story line. I don't think I've watched an anime where fan service was the plot because I would most likely not watch it. As stated earlier, "to each their own".
    Take on the world with a smile because "happiness can be found in the darkest of times if one only remembers to turn on the light." Albus Dumbledore

OS Supporter
    Otaku Lvl
    Thanks

I feel like if those fan service scenes do not add to the story or plot, and is just there to appease people, then it can be distracting and might be a turn off for some. If the scene does add to the story and we get something out of it, then it is fine for me.

Planeswalker
    Otaku Lvl
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jiyu Kajitsu View Post
    The obligatory panty-shot, the character who is there just to have big breasts, and the classic "walking in on someone changing/showering" scene. Loads of anime use them constantly.

I feel like fan-service is sometimes used a cheep filler. There are some well-written shows that can use sexuality well, and tie it in with the overall feeling of the anime. The angles and imagery in
    Bakemonogatari, for example, do well with portraying how a character feels or how they are seen through the eyes of another. Then I look at Highschool of the Dead, and see a show with a really good story and well-written characters, flooded with jiggling body-parts.

As a man, I can't say I don't enjoy a good bouncing breast now and again. Yet, I sometimes feel that they just throw a pair of boobs or a panty-shot at me just to appeal to me with sex. Which isn't as interesting to me as a very well put together and thought out plot.

However, this is just my opinion, and I am wondering what anyone else thinks about this.
    Well, we won't be seeing countless anime with fan service if it doesn't sell, or at least add to it, regardless if we personally think it's just a form of filler or whatever.

I do have to agree with you when it comes to Nishio Ishin's work. The way the "fan service" were portrayed were very artistic.

Otaku Lvl
    Thanks

Depends on how it's used really, If it's completely random, I'm not going to care, but If it makes sense and isn't too gratuitous, It could have potential

~ â™  Neko Prince â™  ~ azura959's Avatar
    Otaku Lvl
    Thanks

Hmm, honestly I think it adds a little flavoring to the story. Not just to satisfy our "fappy cravings" but i think it also gives either "comedic effect" and for some it also makes the character Desirable and Lovable think of it as something like a dere factor when we see a dere character no matter which dere they're categorized under, we automatically either love them hate them or whatever.

so yeah thats my opinion on the whole fap service thing. i mean. Fan service hahaha
    Spoiler for My Siggy

Spoiler for My Guild's siggy

Thanks

That definitely depends on the anime and the reason for the fan service.