Capital Punishment (Death Penalty)
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    The OS Masochist/Sadist SereiMadoshi's Avatar
    Otaku Lvl
    Thanks

Interesting thread :) I'm glad that threads like this are started to be posted.

Now, to the topic. I'm in favor of Death Penalty. As a Filipino citizen(and as a youth, also), every time I turn on the television, all I frequently see are bad news, or heavy crimes, that even today are left unsolved. The justice system here in this country is very ineffective. Imagine, a case that would take several years to be closed, unless you have deep pockets. Or worse, it will never be solved. Criminals, terrorists, and all those bad guys who areare seemingly not scared of anything any more and have done hideous crimes cause chaos and terror everywhere in the country. Lifetime imprisonment could well be a good psychological and mental punishment as you have to suffer horrible treatment from the society. But nowadays, I don't think big time criminals care about criticisms and hate remarks.(Maybe except for politicians, who care about their names.)

Considering the family of the criminal is nice, but have you also considered the family of the victim? OR the families of the victims killed by one criminal? I think they should pay the price equivalent to the crime they have done. Death Penalty also creates a psychological barrier that will really let you think twice before doing a crime. Of course Death Penalty should be punished to those who have done heavy crimes. And it should be implemented with a clean system of government. This is where I am in favor of Duterte's presidency since he is an advocate of a corruption-free government.

Many problems also hinder from passing the Capital Punishment. The first and the biggest would be Religion. Philippines is a country with Roman Catholicism as its main religion. And the Church is against this, because it is against the laws of God and would be inhumane. Now, I'm also a Catholic but I also believe that one should reap what he sowed. And the price for committing a severe crime is Death. And I think every person is scared of Death, even if you are a crazy person. Inhumane? If punishing a criminal for the bad things he has done is inhumane, then what can we call his act of killing a person/people? Second problem would be humanitarian issues. I'm sure one of us would think, what right do we have to take anyone else's life? Then, I'd also ask you a question, what right does the criminal have to take other's lives with? Who would stop this madness? Others might also refer to this as revenge. This is not revenge, this is justice. Call me a hypocrite or whatsoever but I think this country needs to change.

P.S. I think I got too impulsive on this lol
    Last edited by SereiMadoshi; 03-27-2016 at 12:04 AM.

"The Spirit of Politeness and Austerity, thou who gives power to kings, bring forth the great hellfire that judges the earth!"
    Amol Al-Bador Saiqa!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to SereiMadoshi For This Useful Post:

Cloud87 (01-21-2017)

Otaku Lvl
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kobowo View Post
    Capital punishment would definitely help with cleaning this country. Should Mayor Duterte win, he would want the death penalty returned. The problem is that the rest of the Philippines doesn't want it back. There may be some, and I repeat, some, politicians who believe that it is a matter of religion why we shouldn't kill a person. Sadly most of the politicians who don't support death penalty are those who partake in crimes that would lead them to their deaths if they were discovered.

That's the only reason why it's so hard for anyone to get the death penalty back. There's too much outbursts from the religious side of the country not to kill the person, while the other people who may be affected by the death penalty "rides" with them.

Exactly my thoughts right now.

The Artistic Writer
    Otaku Lvl
    Thanks

Let me start in how interesting this thread is. Everyone presenting interesting points overall; I also didn't realize how bad it was in the Philippines.

First, some backstory:
    I currently live in a state where the death penalty is a sentence, usually by lethal injection though you can choose the electric chair. Our death penalty was recently ruled unconstitutional by the Supreme Court due a judge ultimately deciding the fate of the convicted felon versus a jury. The jury can recommend the death penalty but not have authority to elect death penalty, even though they decide a verdict. As a result, the 389 inmates (not sure if this number is accurate) are getting their cases looked at once again. As I'm sure you can imagine, this has caused quite a backlog within the courts. This is not helped by our 'run-the-state-like-a-business' governor who cares more about corporations than Floridians but I digress.

Opinion:
    I honestly believe in that mantra from Trigun: no human has a right to take the life of another person. I think if you must defend yourself, if your own life is at risk, then that is a different circumstance. There are some criminals (the most extreme) who threaten the lives of others but should they get the death? This person's death will not bring back those that were killed and the ones who suffered will still be in pain, even after the person is gone. Some sight 'what if they escape' or 'why should we pay taxes for some horrible person to sit there?' For the escape part, one would hope the facilities are secured and properly staffed; if not, the budget must account for this. There is another extra expense alongside the life in prison. So why should we pay for them to sit there? You are already are - they sit on death row and we pay for every day they breath. Don't forget folks - we have 'for-profit' prisons owned by people who get paid more money the more people they have in prison, even those on death row. Our country has the highest incarceration rate; that in itself is a problem. But again, I digress. I personally, as a juror, would have a hard time choosing death because in the end, the horrible person is still a human being.
    Take on the world with a smile because "happiness can be found in the darkest of times if one only remembers to turn on the light." Albus Dumbledore

Otaku Lvl
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SereiMadoshi View Post
    Interesting thread :) I'm glad that threads like this are started to be posted.

Many problems also hinder from passing the Capital Punishment. The first and the biggest would be Religion. Philippines is a country with Roman Catholicism as its main religion. And the Church is against this, because it is against the laws of God and would be inhumane. Now, I'm also a Catholic but I also believe that one should reap what he sowed. And the price for committing a severe crime is Death. And I think every person is scared of Death, even if you are a crazy person. Inhumane? If punishing a criminal for the bad things he has done is inhumane, then what can we call his act of killing a person/people? Second problem would be humanitarian issues. I'm sure one of us would think, what right do we have to take anyone else's life? Then, I'd also ask you a question, what right does the criminal have to take other's lives with? Who would stop this madness? Others might also refer to this as revenge. This is not revenge, this is justice. Call me a hypocrite or whatsoever but I think this country needs to change.
    I don't really want to bring religion into this ... but i agree to death penalty.

Otaku Lvl
    Thanks

I support it; though I do beleive that the prison system needs to be more of a rehabilitation than a punishment for drug users and moderate offenders, I do beleive that there are people out there that won't be able to return into normal society nor will be able to be non-violent in prison.

Otaku Lvl
    Thanks

I would say yes we should have death penalty and we should use both electric chairs & lethal injection to punished criminals & punished criminals hard to explain why i feel this ask yourself this do you want people get murdered,raped,molested,attacked,mugged,kidnapped, etc.,etc. all because you let them out for good behaviors a slip on the wrist so to speak & for what so he'll/or she'll do it again & again & again until something that needs to be done.

& needed to be done now not in the future now so i say it again yes we needed the death penalty again & we needed to practiced death penalty again end of fucked up crap we had to deal with and the crimainls get away with everything by a slap on the wrists :).

Thanks

Death Penalty? well I guess, here in Philippines being imprisoned is not enough to make a human learn his/her lesson. If a retarded prisoner didnt learn his/her lesson and comitted a crime again, Death Penalty is the option, Maybe by hanging them? sounds old fashion but its really good..What about electric chair or maybe just slowly killing them bit.. by... bit? I like to torture them :)

"Okay, and that's the end. For an ugly guy like me, a love story won't just start out of somewhere. This is reality"
    ~Motoyama

9. The Following User Says Thank You to PerkZ For This Useful Post:

Cloud87 (01-21-2017)

Otaku Lvl
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PerkZ View Post
    Death Penalty? well I guess, here in Philippines being imprisoned is not enough to make a human learn his/her lesson. If a retarded prisoner didnt learn his/her lesson and comitted a crime again, Death Penalty is the option, Maybe by hanging them? sounds old fashion but its really good..What about electric chair or maybe just slowly killing them bit.. by... bit? I like to torture them :)
    I like the way you think lol when you said you like to torture them lol :).