Nintendo President Satoru Iwata Dies at the Age of 55
    Dungeon Crawler
    Otaku Lvl
    Thanks

Default Nintendo President Satoru Iwata Dies at the Age of 55

Sad news for gamers across the world. Nintendo President and CEO Satoru Iwata died today at the age of 55. He had been battling a bile duct growth for some time now, though he still did Nintendo Directs and fulfilled his duties to the company. Nintendo posted a statement on Twitter that read:

"Nintendo Co., Ltd. deeply regrets to announce that President Satoru Iwata passed away on July 11, 2015 due to a bile duct growth."

Truly sad, he certainly wasn't the best CEO Nintendo had, but he was far from the worst. He became the president of Nintendo in 2002, presiding over the creation of the Gamecube, DS, 3DS, Wii and Wii U, he helped create one of the best selling systems in Nintendo history, and one of my favorite handhelds of all time.

And a quote from Sakurai:
    “The president of Nintendo, Satoru Iwata has passed away. He was my former employer, but even when my situation and location changed, he was always the most understanding [of me and my work]. A hard worker and a virtuous man, he always supplied me with quick, fair guidance. I believe that he was the greatest leader I could have imagined. May you rest in peace.”

"On my business card I am a president, in my mind I'm am a game developer, in my heart I am a gamer."
    -Satoru Iwata

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to thatguyEZ For This Useful Post:

aczkajesu (07-20-2015), afillanivan (07-17-2015), edissingern (07-13-2015), emosthenepa (07-16-2015), enhupeweldo (07-20-2015), iasumimayol (07-20-2015), kristala (11-11-2015), nfashionfas (07-18-2015), Nichibotsu (07-16-2015)

Otaku Lvl
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

It's hard to say how this will affect Nintendo. Iwata was also in charge of Nintendo of America and seemed to be the only one even trying to keep Nintendo aware of western interests. Fire Emblem Fates MAY have hinted that Nintendo is capable of breaking out of a delusional bubble that only focused on the Japanese demographic and believed first party games alone could sustain them. Sad to see him go, but i am seriously nervous about what his successor is about to inherit. Splatoon may have given them a little breathing room but Nintendo is still in trouble.
    The fear of blood tends to create fear for the flesh

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Pyramid Head For This Useful Post:

nfashionfas (07-18-2015)

Banned
    Otaku Lvl
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

May he rest in peace.

I don't think that Nintendo rests solely on one person. They'll keep releasing awesome games even after his passing.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Augustus For This Useful Post:

nfashionfas (07-18-2015)

Dungeon Crawler
    Otaku Lvl
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Pyramid Head View Post
    Fire Emblem Fates MAY have hinted that Nintendo is capable of breaking out of a delusional bubble that only focused on the Japanese demographic and believed first party games alone could sustain them.
    What do you mean? Simply the fact that its being localized represents them breaking out of that bubble? It would indeed be a very sad day if games like FE quite being localized for the Western audiences.

It is quite worrying to think about what the next president could do. While I doubt it will be disaster, the possibility is certainly there. As of late it seemed Iwata didn't quite know exactly how to bring Nintendo back, but he certainly wasn't a bad CEO. Like I said, my favorite handheld was released while he was in charge of the company. Along with some of my favorite game franchises being put on those systems. Etrian Odyssey is made by Atlus, thus is third party, but those games were tailor made for the DS and 3DS and it would have been quite sad if those systems, and by extension those games, were never released.

Edit: And here's a nice little tribute that Nintendo Life put up.
    Last edited by thatguyEZ; 07-13-2015 at 01:25 PM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to thatguyEZ For This Useful Post:

nfashionfas (07-18-2015)

OS Typhoon Trespasser
    Otaku Lvl
    Thanks

I hope he'll rest in peace.

Any nintendo employee are my heroes. If it wasn't for them, half my favorite games wouldn't exist (currently 3DS Majoras Mask).

/bow
    - Never underestimate nor overestimate a person -

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Deathwind For This Useful Post:

nfashionfas (07-18-2015)

OS Regular
    Otaku Lvl
    Thanks

May he rest in peace.

Great man with big dreams, taken all too soon. I shed a couple tears for the man that helped make my childhood games that always put a smile on my face.

Those are going to be some pretty big shoes to fill, but I hope the next person to take over, takes care of Nintendo.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Stalk For This Useful Post:

nfashionfas (07-18-2015)

Below Normal

Otaku Lvl
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

R.I.P Mr. Iwata. May his legacy carry on and inspire greatness for the gaming industry and all of those who supported him.

He was always ambitious, and even before his death, held a great conservative passion for bringing joy to families and introducing youngsters to hobby of gaming. Especially the Pokemon generation of gamers, much like myself. As I don't necessarily think this is a huge blow to Nintendo, this may affect the direction in which the corporation will face in years to come.

Long live Nintendo!
    Last edited by Nichibotsu; 07-16-2015 at 12:58 AM.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving.”

- Albert Einstein, Physicist -

Otaku Lvl
    Thanks

Long live Nintendo for sure! Mr. Iwata was amazing.

He Who Must Not Be Named FAT4LS's Avatar
    Otaku Lvl
    Thanks

Thanks to his Contribution to the Gaming World. cuz many people inspired by his works and words.. and that leads to people to be motivated and dream big of making games and other Consoles...

Os CPU

Upload
    294 Video(s)
    Otaku Lvl
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

I won't forget the boss battle against red that he made possible. RIP

OS Citizen
    Otaku Lvl
    Thanks

Oh I didn't know. May he rest in peace.

"On my business card I am a president, in my mind I'm am a game developer, in my heart I am a gamer."
    -Satoru Iwata
    I like the quote. A gamer CEO will always do whatever he/she can to bring great games to people.

The Artistic Writer
    Otaku Lvl
    Thanks

I had no idea myself. May he rest in peace. I loved all those consoles he released. I'm curious to see what the next president will do for future games and consoles alike.
    Take on the world with a smile because "happiness can be found in the darkest of times if one only remembers to turn on the light." Albus Dumbledore