D-Frag! [Review]
    [Random title goes here]~ otakugod12's Avatar
    Where I currently sit/stand/lie down/handstand.
    Otaku Lvl
    Thanks

Default D-Frag! [Review]

Might as well get this part of the forum started before tumbleweeds come rolling in...

Okay then. What first comes to your mind when hearing the title D-Frag? (or D-Fragments in English translation). Derived from the word "defragment" its basically a computer term which I don't know what it means, but that's not the point. My point is, just hearing a computer-related term as a title of an anime, you're expecting of computer-related stuff, right? Well, that's we're NOT gonna get in this anime.

D-Frag!, considering its misleading title, is a comedy anime that features a whole new variety of randomness that's most likely far from expectations. As an example, one would normally expect a Game Dev Club full of computer nerds working on video games, but instead we'll get bunch of people with outrageous behaviour, categorizing themselves with "elemental types" and re-enacts dungeon games similar to what I used to play in my Nintendo.

But if I have to point out something or someone that isn't so much random, its Kazama Kenji, the "straight man" (or tsukkomi) of the series. This spike head, delinquent wannabe, with no special traits whatsoever, is somehow coerced into joining the Game Dev Club. And that's when it all begins.

That's when what begins, exactly? While it is amusing to watch Kenji, in a loveless harem that is the Game Dev Club, play weird board games and modified card games, it eventually grows dull, and a barrage of retorts could only do so much. So, for some reason, it just so happens that the club, and members, is quite resented, likely because the opposition make a big deal of little things they did, resulting in competitions with their club at stake. And for the love of randomness, these competitions by (you guessed it!) playing various games, they all make it seem like death matches, and still with the barrage of retorts, its grade A comedy. But for story purposes, the Game Dev Club will win each time, which is kinda expected..... well, I don't know about you, but I got good lolz from it.

Another probable reason why the Game Dev Club overcomes all that comes their way is because the members, aside from Kenji, can be quite intimidating in their own standards. Shibasaki Roka, the Fire type and president of the Game Dev Club, blinds her victims by putting bags on their heads, thus revealing her "true element", Darkness. Karasuyama Chitose, the Earth type and Student Council President of the school, beats her enemies with dirt covered fists. And Mizukami Sakura, the Water type, who just likes to, literally, splash water around. And then there's Takao, not really a member of the club, but it is hinted that she has affection for Kenji, and that makes her main character material. (huh, really?)

Now, about the artwork. Well, I'm no art critique, so all I can say it that its easy on the eyes. The vibrant colouring is fine, the lighting is okay, there's not much need for dark backgrounds, unless there's a lot of negativity in the air or when Roka unleashes her dark element.

Artwork aside, let's move on to the sounds. so D-Frag! OP is "Stalemate!" by IOSYS jk Girls (hmm... never heard of them). It's upbeat, catchy, and quite fitting for the theme of the anime. However, repeatedly listening to this can be quite annoying. As for the ED "Minna no Namae wo Irete Kudasai", I didn't like it that much, but sung by pretty well-known voice actresses, listening to this is worth it. Speaking of voice actresses, they sure did one heck of a job portraying these wacky girls.

To sum it all up, D-Frag! is indeed an example of a comedy anime which can be considered as a 'good'. To be honest, I was sceptical at first and turn out like several other comedies I've seen, yet it became one of my favourites in this Winter season. I just like Japanese comedy (period)

Story - ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆ ˜† - 8
    Character - ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆ ˜†â˜† - 9
    Artwork - ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆ - 7
    Sound - ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆ ˜† - 8
    Enjoyment - ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆ ˜† - 8
    Overall - ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆ ˜† - 8

Well'p, that's over with. I doubt anyone's gonna read this, anyway, other that the mods perhaps. But just in case, feel free to post your feedback below and I'll consider it to improve my next reviews..... probably.
    Last edited by otakugod12; 03-29-2014 at 02:39 AM. Reason: Fixed some spelling and grammar errors.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to otakugod12 For This Useful Post:

Lancaster (06-22-2015)

Otaku Lvl
    Thanks

I read it all. Seriously, D-Frag made me laugh so hard from EP 1 to EP 12 and I don't know how did they made me do it. Kenji's reactions were hilarious in my opinion and yep, his straightness or whatsoever fits to the weirdness in Game Dev Club (working title).

Well yea, I kinda expected a little that the Anime was all about coding games because their club was named "Game Dev Club" afterall but I somehow liked the way it turned out I mean, it's comedy so why not? Game development isn't all about softwares.

Story - ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆ ˜† - 8
    Character - ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆ ˜† - 8
    Artwork - ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆ ˜†â˜† - 9
    Sound - ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆ ˜†â˜† - 9
    Overall - ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆ ˜† - 8.4

Spoiler :  

how 2 encode pls??
    Upload
    1235 Video(s)
    Otaku Lvl
    Thanks

I loved D-Frag!
    It made me laugh so hard every other minute. Sometimes I had to move to my room to watch it because my family would start looking at me funny for laughing out loud.
    To be honest, when I first saw the title, I had no idea where in the world it came from. The words defrag or defragment didn't even cross my mind (and I want to be a computer engineer, funny huh??).
    I would have reviewed this myself also but I'm not cut out for reviews. I always overrate things based on my own personal enjoyment of the series. I don't really take into account story, art, sound, and characters.
    My own opinion is that this series was a 10/10 but I like I said (and like my anime list shows) I always overrate things.

Otaku Lvl
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by otakugod12 View Post
    Might as well get this part of the forum started before tumbleweeds come rolling in...

Okay then. What first comes to your mind when hearing the title D-Frag? (or D-Fragments in English translation). Derived from the word "defragment" its basically a computer term which I don't know what it means, but that's not the point. My point is, just hearing a computer-related term as a title of an anime, you're expecting of computer-related stuff, right? Well, that's we're NOT gonna get in this anime.

D-Frag!, considering its misleading title, is a comedy anime that features a whole new variety of randomness that's most likely far from expectations. As an example, one would normally expect a Game Dev Club full of computer nerds working on video games, but instead we'll get bunch of people with outrageous behaviour, categorizing themselves with "elemental types" and re-enacts dungeon games similar to what I used to play in my Nintendo.

But if I have to point out something or someone that isn't so much random, its Kazama Kenji, the "straight man" (or tsukkomi) of the series. This spike head, delinquent wannabe, with no special traits whatsoever, is somehow coerced into joining the Game Dev Club. And that's when it all begins.

That's when what begins, exactly? While it is amusing to watch Kenji, in a loveless harem that is the Game Dev Club, play weird board games and modified card games, it eventually grows dull, and a barrage of retorts could only do so much. So, for some reason, it just so happens that the club, and members, is quite resented, likely because the opposition make a big deal of little things they did, resulting in competitions with their club at stake. And for the love of randomness, these competitions by (you guessed it!) playing various games, they all make it seem like death matches, and still with the barrage of retorts, its grade A comedy. But for story purposes, the Game Dev Club will win each time, which is kinda expected..... well, I don't know about you, but I got good lolz from it.

Another probable reason why the Game Dev Club overcomes all that comes their way is because the members, aside from Kenji, can be quite intimidating in their own standards. Shibasaki Roka, the Fire type and president of the Game Dev Club, blinds her victims by putting bags on their heads, thus revealing her "true element", Darkness. Karasuyama Chitose, the Earth type and Student Council President of the school, beats her enemies with dirt covered fists. And Mizukami Sakura, the Water type, who just likes to, literally, splash water around. And then there's Takao, not really a member of the club, but it is hinted that she has affection for Kenji, and that makes her main character material. (huh, really?)

Now, about the artwork. Well, I'm no art critique, so all I can say it that its easy on the eyes. The vibrant colouring is fine, the lighting is okay, there's not much need for dark backgrounds, unless there's a lot of negativity in the air or when Roka unleashes her dark element.

Artwork aside, let's move on to the sounds. so D-Frag! OP is "Stalemate!" by IOSYS jk Girls (hmm... never heard of them). It's upbeat, catchy, and quite fitting for the theme of the anime. However, repeatedly listening to this can be quite annoying. As for the ED "Minna no Namae wo Irete Kudasai", I didn't like it that much, but sung by pretty well-known voice actresses, listening to this is worth it. Speaking of voice actresses, they sure did one heck of a job portraying these wacky girls.

To sum it all up, D-Frag! is indeed an example of a comedy anime which can be considered as a 'good'. To be honest, I was sceptical at first and turn out like several other comedies I've seen, yet it became one of my favourites in this Winter season. I just like Japanese comedy (period)

Story - ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆ ˜† - 8
    Character - ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆ ˜†â˜† - 9
    Artwork - ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆ - 7
    Sound - ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆ ˜† - 8
    Overall - ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆ ˜† - 8

Well'p, that's over with. I doubt anyone's gonna read this, anyway, other that the mods perhaps. But just in case, feel free to post your feedback below and I'll consider it to improve my next reviews..... probably.
    I have not watched D-Frag or anything .
    But because of your review , I was taken aback and have been carried away . The way you talk about it is very satisfying because I can feel that you like it so much that you can share this much info to other otakus.
    anyways , I will stream D-Frag and also give you a review about it .. :)

Thanks for the awesome review :)

Philippines(Eastern Cavinitan,Virac,Catanduanes
    Otaku Lvl
    Thanks

Well....i agree with Accelware,,,,.....By the title D-Frag!,i thought that the anime focuses with comp. games and just added some comedy.
    But in episode 2 when they were betting there club in there festival,thought they would use comp for the contest.....but they just used some ramdom games...
    Well...it is a Game Creation Club...it doesn't mean that it have to be a computer game....it just gets me(never thought of it before)
    The story was full of randomness.......not what i expected(i thougth the story would be meaningfull)
    The characters are good....didn't used to many shades just simple but it did deliver some impacts(on me of course)
    About the Op and ED of the Anime,,,,...its weird but it suits the anime!i even tried learning the whole song.....
    hehehehehe(Lol)

In the end it was a good one

Praying for another SEASON

Story-☆☆☆☆☆☆☆ ˜†â˜†-8
    Charater-☆☆☆☆☆☆☆ ˜†â˜†-9
    Artwork-☆☆☆☆☆☆☆ ˜†-8
    Sound-☆☆☆☆☆☆☆ ˜†-8
    Enjoyment-☆☆☆☆☆☆☆ ˜†â˜†â˜†-10 ....I always enjoy every anime i watch
    Overall-☆☆☆☆☆☆☆ ˜†â˜†â˜†-10.75

Im gonna miss this anime a lot.......its unique in its own way

Waaaaahhhhhhhhh!!!!!it sometimes pisses me off when i finish an anime!!!

P.S
    This is a very good review
    Compliment to otakugod12

Otaku Lvl
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by deathripper View Post

Im gonna miss this anime a lot.......its unique in its own way

Waaaaahhhhhhhhh!!!!!it sometimes pisses me off when i finish an anime!!!

P.S
    This is a very good review
    Compliment to otakugod12
    You're post is great dude . Haha ! You do really love D-Frag huh ? Well , I'm still starting out so I'm glad to hear a lot about D-frag :)
    Last edited by GeekyOtaku; 04-24-2014 at 05:14 PM. Reason: Got a wrong spelling

Otaku Lvl
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

The second season could be quite a while... there's only "House Visit to Kazama Household" and "Hashimoto Adventure Island" stories after the fight with Tama-chan-senpai. With the current pacing of the manga, I'm guessing the second season would be in late 2015 to mid 2016.

That being said, I wanna see Mogusa-chan's face... and know Takao's first name.

My Personal Motto:
    Spoiler :  

Otaku Lvl
    Thanks

Darn it!!!! I want a season 2 of D-frag!!!!
    it is one of the few animes that can make me truly laugh even though i'm alone hahahhaa :3

cheerz to the fire type!!!

Otaku Lvl
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

D-frag is one of my 2014 favorite comedy series. . .
    reasons;
    Story -
    first is the story, although there's no heavy plot - as most slice of life themed anime's the flow of the story is constant and consistent. . .and mainly focuses on the daily routine of the Game Dev. Club (name omitted *giggle*) and the life of the main protagonist, i can say they did pulled this one off. Also the jokes are really funny (for me!)
    (9/10)
    Character -
    now for the characters, lets start with the one i like(so much!) - the president Roka, not only she was voiced by one of my favorite voice actress Kana Hanazawa (which is AWESOME!!!) her character is really interesting the way she acts when she uses her "fire-attribute skill" is soooooooo cute. . . it really did burned me. Next is Kazama Kenji, although his character does not have a unique traits (aside from his hair) i really liked how he played as the straight man on every jokes. . . its amusing to watch, without that the jokes might have been boring. . . overall, i like it how they balance the characters and how they supported each other.
    (10/10)
    Artwork -
    oh yes! the animation style, ever since; iv'e been fond of animes were there are times when they turned chibi-like (mostly Roka). and that is what D-Frag gives you, it is really amusing and really did gives off a really funny vibe. Also the background and the structures are detailed and not half-assed...
    (9/10)
    Sound -
    the Op music is really nice, and the BGM are not bad. . .
    (8/10)
    Enjoyment -
    I really did Enjoy every bit of episode of the series, and honestly re-watched it already ;P . . . its a fun series and really makes you laugh, every episode is hilarious - that i assure you!
    (10/10)
    Overall
    Overall, a highly recommended series - truly worth watching.

And i hope a season 2 will be made...
    10/10
    "I am the ruler of my fate, And the Commander of my Soul."

Man that humanity forgots Lancaster's Avatar
    Otaku Lvl
    Thanks

Well, I don't have problems when it comes to comedy anime like D-Frag. I think it is one of the best comedy anime I've ever watched. Ever since watching the first episode, I couldn't stop myself from watching it all over again. And yeah, I will never forgot one of the most funniest scenes from that anime wherein the girl w/ big chest (forgot the name) wearing the varsity/ PE jacket suddenly loose one of its buttons and hit the main protagonist somewhere in his forehead. Haha. Spoiler Alert Gomen Nasai (TTATT)

BTW, here's my rating for this anime:

- Story : ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆ ˜† (7/10) I enjoyed the story but I'm a little lonely since it doesn't have that many episodes.
    - Character : ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆ ˜†â˜†â˜† (9/10) Well, all of the characters are really good.
    - Artwork : ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆ ˜†â˜†â˜† (10/10) The characters are well drawn for me.
    - Sound: ☆☆☆☆☆☆ (6/10) The anime is good but I have the habit that I always listen the opening once then I skip to save time.
    - Enjoyment : ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆ ˜†â˜†â˜† (10/10) Like I said, the anime is good.

Overall: ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆ ˜†â˜†â˜† (10/10) I think this anime is one of the highly recommendable specially to those people who loves to watch comedy anime just like me.

Thank You for this thread. Happy watching :)

Otaku Lvl
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ENzero View Post
    Darn it!!!! I want a season 2 of D-frag!!!!
    it is one of the few animes that can make me truly laugh even though i'm alone hahahhaa :3

cheerz to the fire type!!!
    Haha me too, I found it hilarious.

Death Moonlight Prince sasuke15y's Avatar
    Otaku Lvl
    Thanks

This is a really fun anime to watch. One of the feel good ones. Tho this has no main story at all, the characters are great, always goofing around, having a good time, always making fun of the main protagonist and also the characters are very wacky & crazy but likeable... And yeah! I want another season for this one