iPhone vs Samsung
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Otaku Lvl
    Thanks

Default iPhone vs Samsung

Hey, OS. I've recently encountered a dilemma, I'm going to buy a new phone, but I have no idea which one that I should get.

Right now I'm judging between Iphone 5 and Samsung galaxy 4.

Can you guys help me by giving me advice, tips and experiences with your own phones to make me decide?

OS Patron

Upload
    1210 Video(s)
    Otaku Lvl
    Thanks

This will also be quite a useful thread for myself as well. I am soon to be moving to the United Kingdom and getting a new mobile contract. I am currently in the same situation as Melony, however, I am also considering HTC. I have heard a lot of good things about all of these brands but it would be nice to see a range of opinions but including the negative aspects of each of these. Thank you in advance to those who respond.

Otaku Lvl
    Thanks

Well It all depends of the functionality of the phone you are going to buy and both have similar function if you ask me they have a little difference let me list some

For Apple: (Iphone 5)

For Pros
    * It has IOS which means less bugs
    * It is More Durable (on my opinion)
    * It has ICloud
    * It is more secure when it comes to viruses

For Cons
    * You need Itunes Before you can transfer anything to your Iphone
    * Bluetooth does not allowed file transfer, the only use of Bluetooth in Iphone is to connect bluetooth capable like headset and ect
    * Battery is cailepacity is bad it only last for a whole day
    * less Versatility

For Android( Samsung S4)

Pros

* You can Transfer anything to your phone Via USB with additional software installed on computers
    * Bluetooth allowed file transfer
    * It has air Shuffle which allowed answering calls,changing music and etc with just a gesture in the air
    * It has more versatility
    Cons

* It has a android 4.2(Jelly bean) I has some major bugs in my experience
    * Battery is just as bad as the Iphone it also just last for a day
    * I dont have an icloud back up
    * More susceptible to viruses

Want An Anime Items, Gadgets delivered directly to your home!!! Visit https://www.samuraibuyer.jp /en/

4. The Following User Says Thank You to shion00 For This Useful Post:

Oxygen (08-05-2013)

The darkest part of your mind in which you fear to tread.
    Otaku Lvl
    Thanks

Apple has always been sleek, which I've always liked. iOS has a nice, smooths feel to it, which I like. The music player is also really good looking, which I love love looove. However, in the words of my friend, "Android OS is for people who like to understand their phone." I do think Android is better overall, but Apple is better suited for me. Plus, Google owns your souls, and you have to deal with it.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to WjdeStix For This Useful Post:

Oxygen (08-05-2013)

Otaku Lvl
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by WjdeStix View Post
    Apple has always been sleek, which I've always liked. iOS has a nice, smooths feel to it, which I like. The music player is also really good looking, which I love love looove. However, in the words of my friend, "Android OS is for people who like to understand their phone." I do think Android is better overall, but Apple is better suited for me. Plus, Google owns your souls, and you have to deal with it.
    This is also true if you ask me but iphone is best suited for me also and nothing could change the fact that android is more versatile than apples well the reason behind it i think is because android is an open source so it's SDK is readily available on google and for free

Want An Anime Items, Gadgets delivered directly to your home!!! Visit https://www.samuraibuyer.jp /en/

OS Patron
    Otaku Lvl
    Thanks

I have a Samsung Galaxy note 2 and I love it. It was the phone that came out right before the S4. I seriously can't say enough good things about this phone. It's the most advanced piece of tech I've ever owned. I've written entire papers on here without issue. I'm actually using it to post this reply. I would never recommend Apple. Sure it has a lot of great features but it only works with other Apple crap. Android is much more versatile. I use my phone to connect to my tablet (Motorola) my xbox (Microsoft) my laptop (gateway) and my desktop (Dell). I transfer files movies music all without issue. Not to mention the millions of other amazing things this phone can do. I've had other brands of smart phones and I loved them because they were new but that wore off after a couple months. I had a BlackBerry Storm 2 and a DROID X. Samsung is more expensive but at least they deliver quality. So yeah, definitely recommend S4. Also just from my friends opinions I heard the i5 sucked and that they wish they would have stayed with their i4. So that's all I can say without rambling forever on the amazingness that is Samsung.

OS Vampire

Upload
    1795 Video(s)
    Otaku Lvl
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,900 Times in 362 Posts
    Blog Entries

It depends on what you're looking for melony. Is there a particular feature in a phone that you're looking at?

If we're gonna look at the hardware specs the Galaxy S4 would clearly beat the iPhone 5 with the S4 having 2 quad core processors (one for apps requiring intensive processing and one for regular phone use) while on the other hand the iPhone 5 runs on a dual core processor.

Camera-wise, one thing I always admired about apple's products is that taking pictures literally take 2-3 seconds to save unlike android phones lol. The S4 has a 13MP camera I think? the iPhone has an 8MP camera.

If we won't take a look at specs it might still depend on your tastes.

While you did just ask between apple and android you might also consider Nokia just a bit. Their new flagship phone, the Lumia 1020 just came out last month. It is running on Windows 8 mobile, drawback would really be the lack of apps to download the good thing about it is they take pride with their cameras. The 1020 will be sporting a 41MP camera with lossless zoom quality of 38MP I think. In laymans terms it means you can take photos and videos zoomed in without loss of quality.

@buni same reply to you, what would you be looking for in a phone?

Regarding the S4: If people are looking for performance the S4 Active is better than the S4 because the processor is clocked to 1.9GHz while the S4 I think is at 1.7 lololol
    Last edited by Kobowo; 08-05-2013 at 01:46 AM.
    Guys I'm a retired staff member, don't come to me for username changes anymore xD its funny having to reply to personal messages 3 months old HAHAHA

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Kobowo For This Useful Post:

Oxygen (08-05-2013)

Otaku Lvl
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Melony View Post
    Hey, OS. I've recently encountered a dilemma, I'm going to buy a new phone, but I have no idea which one that I should get.

Right now I'm judging between Iphone 5 and Samsung galaxy 4.

Can you guys help me by giving me advice, tips and experiences with your own phones to make me decide?
    Unless you are heavily invested in either Apple's or Google's ecosystem, it doesn't really matter which phone you choose since you are going to end up with a great phone either way. (Yeah, not really helping much XD)

Well if seeing each of their specs helps you make a decision: Side by side comparison of numbers. Another comparison.

I found that most people don't really care too much about specs though. As long as it runs fast and does what it's supposed to do, most people are happy. If you fall in that general category then the following are things to keep in mind, if not Kobowo's break down of the specs should be enough input for you

Upgrading
    This part is if you are planning on keeping your phone for a long period of time. If you upgrade or switch phones every year, then you can overlook this part since it doesn't really apply.

iPhone
    You can no longer update your iPhone once Apple stops supporting your model. Sadly, there really is no workaround for this, at least none that I know of. This means you will lose out on newer, possibly better, features in the future. Thankfully, Apple stops support once your model is around 2-3 generations old. Hopefully by that time you have a new phone.

Galaxy S4
    Since, the Galaxy S4 is a popular phone, it is heavily supported by the Android custom ROM community. If you no longer receive major OTA (over the air) updates from your carrier, you can easily download and install a custom ROM with all the new updates.

Also, Google has taken steps to reduce fragmentation by shifting towards Play Store updates instead of OTA updates. This way, Google's core services will always be up to date via the Play Store and won't have to rely on the carrier to push out OTA updates. Basically that means regardless of your Android version, your phone's core Google services will be up to date.

Customization:
    I've noticed that this is one of the main reasons people choose Android phones over iPhones. Apple doesn't really want you to mess with their design and generally likes keeping their ecosystem very closed. Android on the other hand promotes tinkering and customization and is generally a very open platform.

iPhone:
    Customization for the iPhone is just changing backgrounds and lockscreens. Further customization is possible, but you will have to Jailbreak your phone in order to do so. Plus, every time you update your OS, you have to re-install your customizations.

Galaxy S4
    Extremely customizable, and you don't need to root your phone or flash a custom rom to do so. All you have to do is install 3rd party launchers and other customization options from the Play Store and you're set. Of course, if you want to do more than what's available in the Play Store you can root your phone or flash a custom rom.

Other things to consider:
    - Apps usually start out in the App Store, and often stay iPhone exclusive. The more popular, well-funded apps do get ported over to the Play Store though.
    - I think the iPhone camera takes better quality pictures than the S4, but the S4 has more megapixels.
    - The S4 is filled with features/gimmicks that may or may not be useful to you.
    - The iPhone has an aluminum body, but the S4 has a plastic body.
    - The S4 has a bigger display and a higher pixel density (sharper image quality)
    Last edited by Kimono; 08-05-2013 at 02:42 AM.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kimono For This Useful Post:

Bunislipper (08-05-2013), Oxygen (08-05-2013)

Otaku Lvl
    Thanks

Thanks for the great answers.

@kobowo
    I actually don't have a specific reason to buy an apple over an Samsung, or reverse.

I'm just buying a new phone so I can follow today's technology (the recent communication applications that I don't have (Wechat, Snapchat, What's app and so on)), surfing the web, checking news, watch anime, take photos, all that usual stuff.

I had an old Samsung before, and I loved the great custom - install able video / music players like MX Player and Power Amp. However, the camera apps were terrible imo. Took forever to load, compared to what Kobowo said, the Iphone's photo camera.

@kobowo -end

Right now, I'm currently leaning towards an Samsung galaxy 4. As mentioned, I love how most of android is customizable compared to the Iphone. In addition, I remember back when I had an ipod, itunes were such a drag for me as that really lagged my computer down whenever I transferred stuff. It's so different from the drag'n'drop system that Samsung has. Battery is not a problem for me as I have a mobile battery which can charge phones. The apple unique applications doesn't really hinder me, as I'm don't usually spend a lot of time playing mobile games.

The camera thing is kind of a bad side, but to be honest, I can deal with that. An other downside is that I really like how the Iphone is shaped, a really sleek thing compared to the round uh... "egg" that Samsung galaxy is. Haven't experienced virus or anything like it on my old Samsung.

Off topic, just messaged Kobowo to change the title to Samsung vs Iphone since it probably is more appropriate.
    Last edited by Oxygen; 08-05-2013 at 02:38 AM.

OS Patron

Upload
    1210 Video(s)
    Otaku Lvl
    Thanks

An other downside is that I really like how the Iphone is shaped, a really sleek thing compared to the round uh... "egg" that Samsung galaxy is. Haven't experienced virus or anything like it on my old Samsung.
    I completely agree. That has been a con for me. The interface as well as the over all design. I tend to lean away from phones that are bulky and heavy. Something lightweight and easy to hold. I have very small hands, haha, so most phones tend to be too big for me to hold. Upon looking at the iPhone 5 is is very lightweight and as you said, sleek.

The comments above have really helped shape my decision so far. I appreciate all those who have replied and I thank Kobowo for sending a Personal Message with more information on the HTC.

I am sort of in the same position as to why I want one of these mobiles. I see that a lot of people use Whatsapp to stay communicating with their friends whereas I have a Blackberry that has BBM [Blackberry Messenger] which most of my friends no longer use. It is said that I can download Whatsapp but I have tried several times and my phone freezes and turns off at every attempt - baring in mind that this Blackberry is nearing four years old.

Quote Originally Posted by kimono031 View Post
    - Apps usually start out in the App Store, and often stay iPhone exclusive. The more popular, well-funded apps do get ported over to the Play Store though.
    So some applications that work through iPhone are also available for Androids? Yay!
    Last edited by Bunislipper; 08-05-2013 at 03:13 AM.

OS Vampire

Upload
    1795 Video(s)
    Otaku Lvl
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,900 Times in 362 Posts
    Blog Entries

Thanks for the great answers.

@kobowo
    I actually don't have a specific reason to buy an apple over an Samsung, or reverse.

I'm just buying a new phone so I can follow today's technology (the recent communication applications that I don't have (Wechat, Snapchat, What's app and so on)), surfing the web, checking news, watch anime, take photos, all that usual stuff.

I had an old Samsung before, and I loved the great custom - install able video / music players like MX Player and Power Amp. However, the camera apps were terrible imo. Took forever to load, compared to what Kobowo said, the Iphone's photo camera.

@kobowo -end

Right now, I'm currently leaning towards an Samsung galaxy 4. As mentioned, I love how most of android is customizable compared to the Iphone. In addition, I remember back when I had an ipod, itunes were such a drag for me as that really lagged my computer down whenever I transferred stuff. It's so different from the drag'n'drop system that Samsung has. Battery is not a problem for me as I have a mobile battery which can charge phones. The apple unique applications doesn't really hinder me, as I'm don't usually spend a lot of time playing mobile games.

The camera thing is kind of a bad side, but to be honest, I can deal with that. An other downside is that I really like how the Iphone is shaped, a really sleek thing compared to the round uh... "egg" that Samsung galaxy is. Haven't experienced virus or anything like it on my old Samsung.

Off topic, just messaged Kobowo to change the title to Samsung vs Iphone since it probably is more appropriate.
    I choose the samgsung too honestly if I'd choose between the two. Apple imo is losing the smartphone wars lol

On a sidenote I got to try a Galaxy S3 using the 8MP camera it had back then and the S4 as well with its 12MP camera. Actually its not that bad. It doesnt lag as much. If you compare it to the camera of the Samsung Galaxy S1 it may not be as fast as an iPhone taking pictures but its definitely faster than it used to be.
    Guys I'm a retired staff member, don't come to me for username changes anymore xD its funny having to reply to personal messages 3 months old HAHAHA

Otaku Lvl
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kobowo View Post
    It depends on what you're looking for melony. Is there a particular feature in a phone that you're looking at?

If we're gonna look at the hardware specs the Galaxy S4 would clearly beat the iPhone 5 with the S4 having 2 quad core processors (one for apps requiring intensive processing and one for regular phone use) while on the other hand the iPhone 5 runs on a dual core processor.

Camera-wise, one thing I always admired about apple's products is that taking pictures literally take 2-3 seconds to save unlike android phones lol. The S4 has a 13MP camera I think? the iPhone has an 8MP camera.

If we won't take a look at specs it might still depend on your tastes.

While you did just ask between apple and android you might also consider Nokia just a bit. Their new flagship phone, the Lumia 1020 just came out last month. It is running on Windows 8 mobile, drawback would really be the lack of apps to download the good thing about it is they take pride with their cameras. The 1020 will be sporting a 41MP camera with lossless zoom quality of 38MP I think. In laymans terms it means you can take photos and videos zoomed in without loss of quality.

@buni same reply to you, what would you be looking for in a phone?

Regarding the S4: If people are looking for performance the S4 Active is better than the S4 because the processor is clocked to 1.9GHz while the S4 I think is at 1.7 lololol
    Well if you bring it to hardware specs i totally agree on this one because i already tried both phone and i could say nothing more samsung has more power in it

Otaku Lvl
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by shion00 View Post
    Well It all depends of the functionality of the phone you are going to buy and both have similar function if you ask me they have a little difference let me list some

For Apple: (Iphone 5)

For Pros
    * It has IOS which means less bugs
    * It is More Durable (on my opinion)
    * It has ICloud
    * It is more secure when it comes to viruses

For Cons
    * You need Itunes Before you can transfer anything to your Iphone
    * Bluetooth does not allowed file transfer, the only use of Bluetooth in Iphone is to connect bluetooth capable like headset and ect
    * Battery is cailepacity is bad it only last for a whole day
    * less Versatility

For Android( Samsung S4)

Pros

* You can Transfer anything to your phone Via USB with additional software installed on computers
    * Bluetooth allowed file transfer
    * It has air Shuffle which allowed answering calls,changing music and etc with just a gesture in the air
    * It has more versatility
    Cons

* It has a android 4.2(Jelly bean) I has some major bugs in my experience
    * Battery is just as bad as the Iphone it also just last for a day
    * I dont have an icloud back up
    * More susceptible to viruses
    I can also add onto this. Since your list is already large, it seems more logical to just add stuff :D ****THIS IS AN ADDITION TO YOUR LIST****

Pro for iphone:
    * accessories are easy to come by and you can end up finding good quality items at discount stores.
    * Easy to use, apple's design tends to be a user friendly device compared to android phones.(personal preference)

Con for iphone:
    * No flash player! (if you enjoy watching videos on some sites, you might not be able to)
    * Expensive! Some networks have unlimited data on all their phones excluding the iphone. I know there are the few that have unlimited data for all their phones, but some unfortunately don't carry unlimited data for the iphone example: verizon and t-mobile

Pros for Samsung:
    * It has flashplayer! The android phones allow you to watch videos on sites you wouldn't normally be able to watch on iphone.
    * Most carriers have unlimited everything for android phones, so you can do what ever you want on them without fearing of going over your allotted time. (something to consider if you are on a budget)
    * If you really want to, you can always download free apps from sharing sites(not recommended as this might bring harm to your computer and device. This also might get you into trouble)
    ^^^I stated the above because it is something about it. In no way am I advising you do this EVER as this will void any warranties.

Cons for Samsung:
    * Yeah the battery life, In my opinion is awful compared to the iphone. My old folks(parents) have had android phones since they started making them and every time the battery is just complete rubbish. They have to charge them every few hours or the battery just dies on them!
    * accessories can be hard to find and expensive. There are some at discount stores, but I hardly find any worth while.

***Everything here is posted from experience of owning both the Galaxy s2 and the Iphone 5. If I find anything more from fellow friends/colleagues I will be more then happy to help you out.
    Last edited by Sagemode; 08-08-2013 at 01:19 AM. Reason: Had to add something xD AGAIN!!!

Otaku Lvl
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by John_Titor View Post
    Went for a samsung galaxy s4. Had it for a week, and I'm really satisfied!

- The camera issue is not a problem. My phone loads up the camera in seconds, and well, I haven't had any issues with it yet.
    - The egg shape isn't really a problem either. Went better than expected when I put it in and out of my pocket etc. It fits and isn't hard to place around.

- An issue though, is the battery. Moderately used, 1-2 days max, but if I want to use any battery heavy application, one day max. I'm fine with it though, as I'm using it a lot right now, but when school is coming, I'll probably won't use it as much as I do right now.

Otaku Lvl
    Thanks

what can i say.. i'm an IPHONE fan.. =) though it may not be as easy to transfer files in an IPHONE compared to samsung but its a very durable phone! aahahha.. i've dropped my phone several times but it survives!

Otaku Lvl
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

I don't have iPhone, but... I have Samsung so i'm going with Samsung

Otaku Lvl
    Thanks

iPhone is baaad

I have one at the moment, free work phone. It is a pain.

Also, the iPhone 5 battery is terrible, it doesnt last a day.

Otaku Lvl
    Thanks

Iphone, definitely an Iphone. XD Because it seems that all Samsung does is copy Apple's products.

Otaku Lvl
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

I've tried both and I'd definitely recommend an IPhone. In my opinion it's less confusing and easier to operate. And better.

Been here six years! WHOO
    Otaku Lvl
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

Iphone. Once you have the grand power of jailbreak and you play things smart (A lot of apps and stuff could be potential viruses, of which I've thankfully haven't gotten one.) You can almost replicate any phone interface, change the icons, ect.

Even without jailbreak I think that just IOS is just a more held together interface. When I had an older android, it was sluggish, the store was full of generic games that I didn't like. Plus, most of the better games released on IOS and I was pissed I couldn't ever get any of those games. So I switched over when Verizon had free Iphones and that was the best decision I ever made.

Although for battery life, it'll be at least two years before a long lasting battery like older phones will be made.