Purposely not finishing a series to avoid the conclusion and post ending blues--
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Otaku Lvl
    Thanks

Default Purposely not finishing a series to avoid the conclusion and post ending blues--

Its been a while since i last posted. in fact my post count is probably still in the single digits.
    But i have the burning desire to discuss my recent story reading or watching habits, especially anime.

So, I love stories, I love the way different authors conclude their ideas in to a situation for it to be interpreted in the same way to the readers or viewers. I just cant stop reading or watching. But what I tend to love the most is the feeling of not knowing what happens next in the story, i like to predict- I like to get simulate the feeling of the protagonist and think what I would do- things like this keep me hooked.
    And obviously, this feeling cannot be conjured if the story ENDS in the authentic sense!!!

So, for that reason i turn away from reading the final chapter or watching the ending episode. Sometimes i do watch or end stories, but it makes me very sad, regardless of the type of ending.

Does anyone else feel the same way as I do? Or do you like to get to the end to conclude entirely. If so why ?

OS Patron
    Otaku Lvl
    Thanks

Me? I'd stop before the last episode and guess or imagine what would happen in the ending. Then I watch it again the next day. I like imagining things what would happen if this is the situation, it helps me to solve my own problems easily... The anime "Hyouka", I'd stop like every episode just to guess what would Houtarou will say and guess what, most of my ideas is actually what he said. :D

Otaku Lvl
    Thanks

Honestly, I don't really think about anything when I watch anime. My head goes blank and I just sit back and enjoy it.

If I never finish a series, then something in the back of my head will keep whispering: "FINISH IT. FINISH IIIIIIT." For some reason, I like feeling "the void" after watching a good series. I used to feel empty after every series I watched, but now it's only a few amazing series. Although I feel hollow inside, at the same time, I feel satisfied.

The only reason why I won't finish a series if I heard that the ending is literally SO BAD, that you will rage and feel very angry for a while.

OS Supporter
    Otaku Lvl
    Thanks

there's been a couple of times where I've gotten towards the end but never finished and then came back like a year later and rewatched, but to the end this time. I think Ore No Imouto and DearS were two of them :3
    Like, didn't want to see the resolve (especially common for me with harem/romance animes), so abandoned only to rejoin later.

Otaku Lvl
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kazuma05 View Post
    I like imagining things what would happen if this is the situation, it helps me to solve my own problems easily... The anime "Hyouka", I'd stop like every episode just to guess what would Houtarou will say and guess what, most of my ideas is actually what he said. :D
    Glad im not the only one :D Hyouka was an anime i really enjoyed too! dont see a lot of mystery animes these days :/

Quote Originally Posted by xOtaku View Post
    Honestly, I don't really think about anything when I watch anime. My head goes blank and I just sit back and enjoy it.

/snip

The only reason why I won't finish a series if I heard that the ending is literally SO BAD, that you will rage and feel very angry for a while.
    This actually goes for me also, but like you, only with mindless storyless animes. Yuyushiki would be a good example of an anime i didnt hold back on finishing.

And likewise, there is nothing worse than a badly concluded story ! The authors really should think of the ending and make situations so that it would be - the destined outcome of it all-

Im not sure what to think of Evangelion with all its alternative endings, its hard to conclude with new endings, especially after having seen the original ending...

Quote Originally Posted by BongoFury View Post
    there's been a couple of times where I've gotten towards the end but never finished and then came back like a year later and rewatched, but to the end this time. I think Ore No Imouto and DearS were two of them :3
    Like, didn't want to see the resolve (especially common for me with harem/romance animes), so abandoned only to rejoin later.
    I see what you mean here, after a long time I forget exactly what happens :P
    Im watching Guilty Crown for the second time now, and this time im planning to end it. But there is no questions here, the curiosity sure is destined to kill the cat.

Otaku Lvl
    Thanks

I have a wierd way of watching anime. I'd watch the ending first then start over at the first one and watch with from an omniscent point of view. I like to know what's going to happen and then saying I told you so to anyone around me.

Otaku Lvl
    Thanks

wow, does that not ruin anime with intense story lines ? Very bold move too !
    ... might try it tbh!

Otaku Lvl
    Thanks

Me I don't really think about anything happens in the last episode because i watch and enjoy it.
    Spoiler :  

Going 4 rainbow (kinda) flamepan's Avatar
    Otaku Lvl
    Thanks

i use to do this really bad because a lot of anime endings are really open ended and just don't really conclude the story so i generally would stop watching when there is 1-3 episodes left but i only really did it subconsciously. recently i've been forcing myself to finish animes though.

The End-kun
    Otaku Lvl
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by animeWatcher View Post
    I have a wierd way of watching anime. I'd watch the ending first then start over at the first one and watch with from an omniscent point of view. I like to know what's going to happen and then saying I told you so to anyone around me.
    you remind me of a friend of mine who's watching One Piece and other shounen of the like and always skips the episode straight to the battles, he doesn't care about anything else

Otaku Lvl
    Thanks

The range of anime viewing habits seems to be very vast !
    rather surprised by the replies here

Anime Encyclopedia

Raiding your fridge... Loli Lover Lvl: 99+
    Upload
    141 Video(s)
    Otaku Lvl
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

My first run through I always finish the series. Though I know what you mean. Usually when I rewatch a series, I tend to quit before the end. I'm not sure if it's because I don't want it to end, or if it's simply because I can recall all of the remaining details and just don't want to see it again. There have also been a couple series that were interesting, but for some reason I read the episode descriptions or went ahead in the source material causing me to lose interest in the anime. No clear rhyme or reason for my peculiarities.

Please read the rules before posting.

Inactive Uploader
    Upload
    168 Video(s)
    Otaku Lvl
    Thanks

I often stop watching the last 2-3 episodes of a series especially if i know from others if it has a sad end and i will wait a few days to remember parts the series before i watch the last episodes and if a series has no future sequel i often feel sad and sense of lose after the end as i know there is no more story line and i just wanted it to go on longer

Otaku Lvl
    Thanks

Hello all, and thanks for the replies again.
    Sorry to revive this thread, but i want to hear more examples and reasons as its quite interesting for me to read. I hope the same for all else.

It will be good if somehow it can get into a discussion too !

recenlty, iv been watching my series to the end, Psycho pass included. Really enjoy watching the endings, but still suffer the "end of fictional universe" syndrome.
    Do you all think its normal? or can it be considered an illness of getting too emotionaly involved into the story ?

This leads me to the next question, I can see that with more techniques of drawing the audience in to the story, its a lot easier to be emotional towards a fictional plot, i can really see these techniques getting more advanced. But what if it gets too advanced.... should authors cover traumatic shocks from plots !?

Regards,

Otaku Lvl
    Thanks

I do. I still not finish watch Monster anime series.
    The story is too overwhelming me. Really good! I stop it on somewhere 50ish eps cause I'm afraid that I can't find anime that this good...and, I right. >3>

"Yo, come say that again.....I DARE YOU."

marshmello's
    Otaku Lvl
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kirbee View Post

If I never finish a series, then something in the back of my head will keep whispering: "FINISH IT. FINISH IIIIIIT." For some reason, I like feeling "the void" after watching a good series. I used to feel empty after every series I watched, but now it's only a few amazing series. Although I feel hollow inside, at the same time, I feel satisfied.

Yeaaa same here ^^ I don't usually think about it that much, but i do stop watching an anime on purpose if i heard that it has a terrible ending.

Ichihara Yuuko
    Otaku Lvl
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

I purpose not to finished the clanned because it's so sad .. :(
    Last edited by RoyalBaka; 06-14-2014 at 01:45 AM.

Shadow Dweller

Upload
    882 Video(s)
    Otaku Lvl
    Thanks

I always finish what i get in depth with (unless its awful and i dont see it going anywhere or took a horrible turn). I would feel like i wasted an incredible amount of time if i didnt. If manage to watch it a second time around i may stop at a certain point to avoid remembering the end. A prime example would be Death Note. I stop watching after ep 25.

Ahhh It's A Zombie!!!
    Otaku Lvl
    Thanks

I'll always finish a series even if I know the final episode is going to be really sad. I have thought about not finishing a few because of that reason but I know that I would just regret not finishing it.
    Thanks to brixdean for the sig xD

Kawaii Alluka's Onii-chan

Kukuroo Mountain, Dentora, Republic of Padokia
    Upload
    578 Video(s)
    Otaku Lvl
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HannahJFM View Post
    I purpose not to finished the clanned because it's so sad .. :(
    Spoiler for Do not peek if you don't want to be spoiled! If you do, it's your fault. XD

No matter how long I've taken an anime on hold, or just doing marathon, I'll always watch the end.

When I watch anime and it's almost on the last few episodes, I tend to create my own conclusion. So I watch the end to see if it's something that I predicted. If it is then it's good since that's what I wanted. If it's normal then OK. :I If it's not but bad, then I go in rage and I feel like I just wasted my time. But if it's not but greater than what I predicted then it'll be something satisfying or if greater, epic. :D