Is it Okay for Men to Compliment Other Men?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Otaku Lvl
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

Default Is it Okay for Men to Compliment Other Men?

idk, got nothing to do and remembered this stupid topic and now i'm interested to know what will others say...

i just notice that not all guys compliment each other...what i mean is have you seen a guy complimenting his fellow guy? like when you're walking in a mall and you've seen a very handsome guy & the guy you're with won't say a thing even though you have said tons of compliments about that handsome guy?? i mean, us girls can easily compliment other girls like "wow that girl is pretty""oh that girl is sexy" (without any malice) but if a guy compliments other guy it doesn't sound good... why is that???

i asked a guy friend before about this but he can't give out a good reason all he could say is " it's my pride! i know i'm better than him!" haha a conceited one... so guys, why don't you???

* haven't found a similar thread but if happens i overlooked one just inform me....tnx...
    Last edited by 0drea7; 10-19-2011 at 11:25 AM.
    i'M oNlY rEsPoNsIbLe FoR wHaT i SaY
    nOt FoR wHaT yOu UnDeRsTaNd~

Former Anime Overlord

Upload
    4290 Video(s)
    Otaku Lvl
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

haha, well.. uh how do i answer this, i don't compliment other guys either, it's just not something normal for me, if i'm with a girl and she starts talking about some other guy i'll just say "yea, yeah..", i think that's maybe just to get her to stop lol, but if she continue i will get annoyed idk why.. but i do compliment my guy friends sometimes, i'd say like looking good babe or so lol just for the fun.. if you look at this from the animal kingdom, males are dominant creatures and likely they won't want to acknowledge others better than them...

Dark Clouds in the sky With spells and witchcraft
    I'm chained below
    Kimi ni todoke // Lovely complex // Shiki // Ghost Hunt ..

Banned

Upload
    1376 Video(s)
    Otaku Lvl
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,522 Times in 144 Posts

I do compliment and comment things about guys but in a different way. Say for an instance, Girl A is discussing about her crush with ME and to Girl B. Our comments differ in this way:

Girl A: OMG, you know what? I saw my crush yesterday at the mall. He's sooooooo hooooooot. I almost collapsed when our eyes met. OMG.
    Girl B: Yeah, I know, he's smokin' hot. Oh gosh. You should have approached him. Or maybe next time you should wink at him when he looks at you.
    Me: Uhmm... Was that the guy in the picture that you showed me on Facebook last week? Hmm... yeah, he looks good.

That's it. Real men should also compliment other guys, in a simple and "masculine" way.

I have a lot of girl friends and I'm used to be asked for opinions and impressions about the guys that they talk about with me. I think there's nothing wrong with that. I find over-machismo in guys lame-ish, no offense.

But, one thing that I've never done before and will never ever do is like this:

Me: Hey dude, you know what? You're so handsome.
    Guy: WTF?!

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CloverLeaf For This Useful Post:

aiman (01-27-2013), satsuirakuen (10-12-2012)

Sui generis Serendipity
    Otaku Lvl
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

I have a twin brother, so here's what I've observed. He and his friends will give out compliments more on things that they have to earn rather than natural looks or taste in clothes, etc. He and his friends focus a lot on jiu jitsu technique as well as working out so theyll tell one another when it looks like something has paid off, they did a good roll match, or they have muscled up over the last month or something. It's relative.
    "Reality is nothing but an assumption. Truth is, nobody has the slimmest slight of a clue as to how something's gonna happen until it does. Even then, it's not reality. Reality is propaganda. It's spoon-fed to us until the taste is familiar and we go back for seconds ourselves. It's a tool to shut down what you can hope can be. You put down that spoon. Take heart, have imagination, have faith. Never take hold of your spoon without giving reality room to grow."

Eternal Heavenly Goddess Liesianthes's Avatar
    Otaku Lvl
    Thanks

it's because if a guy do that he will look like a gay to that person.. that's the main reason for that.. people will think that the guy likes the person he is complimenting with..

Magic of 7 Days

Otaku Lvl
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

The reason for it mostly is that most men feels inferior to those who're better/greater than them.
    Besides, Comparing them with girls are out of the question because men and women are totally different or should i say, the total opposite of each other.

Otaku Lvl
    Thanks

~like the others have said,... I think its because of the stereotyping of the males~ :3

~(i.e. males are dominant, one male complimenting another male would look gay-ish)~

~I agree with Cloverleaf, there's nothin' wrong with a male-to-male compliment~ :3
    ....dreams, delusions, lies, illusions....

OS Vampire

Upload
    1795 Video(s)
    Otaku Lvl
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,900 Times in 362 Posts
    Blog Entries

Actually I think it depends on how you're complimenting another guy. As a guy I think its fine to compliment another but only on some things. I choose to keep silent if its appearance. First of all I don't like complimenting guys on appearances unless they ask for it and if they did it'd usually be generic lol. If it would be about abilities or something related to school or work or even games I think I'd really compliment the person sometimes even give out an advise or ask for one haha
    Guys I'm a retired staff member, don't come to me for username changes anymore xD its funny having to reply to personal messages 3 months old HAHAHA

loves ero neko

Upload
    117 Video(s)
    Otaku Lvl
    Thanks

i think its just that we dont like complimenting on visual basis...
    but if its something that that guy got with his own strength,
    then you can be sure that we will compliment him for that
    Spoiler :  

Otaku Lvl
    Thanks

..hahaha..I just red that too..(too funny).....Can't imagine..

Well it depend on the man..if He thinks he'll look likely a "GAY" maybe He really is..but I agree with Clover..n_n!

Otaku Lvl
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

It sound gay.. that's the real reason why guys don't compliment each other's looks.. we only compliment a guy if he is going on a date or got a new haircut but that's mostly sarcastic.

My Personal Motto:
    Spoiler :  

Otaku Lvl
    Thanks

i have this friend who doesnt mind complimenting other guys. one time there was this guy who passed by us. he's quite good looking and this friend of mine just said.."handsome"..at first i laughed really hard cause he sounded like a girl when he said that but knowing him for how many years..i just realized that he's the type of guy who says surprising things..it never occurred to me that he's gay cause he'll never be (he LOVES girls)..maybe it's just that some guys don't think it's necessary to be vocal of how they think or feel about something. and how would a girl feel (especially if she's with someone she really likes) if she would hear that guy saying "i like his abs. i think it's hot" instead of saying "hey. you look really pretty tonight"? maybe that girl might wish she has those abs..

The One-Sided Lover
    Upload
    2 Video(s)
    Otaku Lvl
    Thanks

LOL! :) Guys are not very expressive, the way of doing that is by annoying each other out.
    They mess up things, throw fist bumps and high fives, and gives a lot of sarcasm.

Another stranger passing
    Upload
    157 Video(s)
    Otaku Lvl
    Thanks

The problem most guys have with complimenting other guys is the level of awkwardness it provides and most guys are afraid of sounding gay by complimenting the physical looks of another guy. Thats all in all probly the most simple reason.

Otaku Lvl
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

well haha, that is like asking gays and lesbian which is more acceptable XDD i guess guys behaving intimately really looks strange while girls can do anything they want XDD ahahah

Otaku Lvl
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

its simple jeolosy im a guy and when i see a better looking guy im annoyed but unlike other ill sarcastically make a remark about how he look just loud enough for him to hear just to see his face blanch
    Czern

Otaku Lvl
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

Other than assuming to the other dude that you're a homo I don't see why us men hesitate in complements towards other dudes.

For one, that just shows how friendly you are. Making other guys see how open you are to possible future friends by means of compliments is understandable. I complement guys sometimes but it's usually due to envy. Like for example, there was one guy that wore a hood that looked similar to Assassin's Creed and told him that it made him look really cool. I suppose I only wanted to strike up a conversation to get the location were he got it from... lol
    I've complemented guys about how cool they looked in their hats, shoes, and caps but all were said in a non-homo-ish tone.

Another one would reveal that you are a true friend. I mean isn't honest opinions about one another the role of a true friend? I mean I hear girls say it all the time so why not do it too (In a manly way though.. no giggling and stuff.. seriously!). Although if you say it in a serious tone I guess it might sound like you're going to rob him or something... haha

- Giving other guys compliments just shows your modesty.
    Spoiler for Old Sig

One Hell of a Boyfriend Me♥Marcia's Avatar
    Otaku Lvl
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

Uhhhh...... I guess, half yes half no.

Half Yes. As long as it doesn't mean any other malice things.

Half No. It sounds gay to me.

^^''

Planeswalker
    Otaku Lvl
    Thanks

It's okay as long as you do not sound gay or anything like that. Obviously, you don't tell a guy "Oh, you know what? You're so cute with that hairstyle. I like that." bur rather, you'd sound better off saying "hey man, got some nice haircut. *thumbs up*". There are times that it depends on how you say things. Besides, if the guy really deserved to be complimented then hey, why not?

~something cool~

Upload
    2034 Video(s)
    Otaku Lvl
    Thanks

Hmm...I don't compliment other guys...I just can't do it. I mean...I'm like error kinda, but only in VERY small amounts. I just can't bring myself to give compliments to dudes. I insult them until they feel good about themselves instead xD