Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    Uploader
    Upload
    660 Video(s)
    Otaku Lvl
    Thanks

Default Question: Can Video Games Help You Learn?

Yeah so basically i'm doing a report based on learning some helpful skills from video games.

For example: new vocabulary, thinking logically or abstract to solve puzzles, time management as in to water plants or feed animal (good example Harvest Moon), Pattern recoginition ...etc

so basically just post some experiences of video games you played in which you learned something and name the video games.

also if they caused any negative side-effects post that here too. i'll be sure to credit you guys and OS in my report.
    Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt - Mark Twain

2. The Following User Says Thank You to AnkokuRyuu For This Useful Post:

katzuragi (12-08-2011)

Ameri-Regular
    Upload
    3 Video(s)
    Otaku Lvl
    Thanks

Oh... Where do I start? There are games that do help me (besides the ones meant for learning), for example: Age of Empires, Starcraft, Halo, Fire Emblem, Alundra, and a bunch of others.

Strategies help me improve my reaction time. Like if some opponent(s) attack me, I would quickly go to where it is and micro my units that are being attacked (or building being attacked)
    They also improve my ways of thinking. Some help my vocabulary, for example, words like flank or pincer and what not.

FPS improve my reaction time too. There are two ways they do it. 1) If the game tells me where I'm being hit from, I will spin in that direction 2) If I see an opponent, I will quickly aim at them and judging by the distance, I will shoot.
    They help me tell distance sometimes too. This one is a bit of a stretch. This is when I throw a grenade to where I wanted it to land.

Fighting games that don't have special moves(Button mashers) make me remember combos so they improve my memory.

Fighting games that do have special moves(Street Fighters,King of Fighters,Mortal Kombat) don't really help me as much as the button mashers. Most of the time the directions you have to hit are the same, ex: Hadouken - Down, down-right, right.

JRPG's most of the time improve my vocabulary. Sometimes they help me improve my reaction time.

ARPG's helps my reaction time.

Danmakus helps my reaction time A LOT. Dodging a screen full of projectiles is hard if you panic or stay still for too long.

tl;dr Some types of games help me in different areas.

Otaku Lvl
    Thanks

Yes of course it also helps you learn some valuable lessons
    (Most of video games have stories, and have happy endings) ^ . ~

Otaku Lvl
    Thanks

Oh yes, games have improved my English a lot for starters.
    And I can also blame my interest in history on games (Age of Empires),
    + Most historical games like the Total War games are packed full of historical facts.
    Many games improve your logic thinking and puzzle solving abilities. Some can even help you improve your result on a IQ test, i.e. shape recognition.
    Strategy games teaches you to plan ahead.

And then a lot of games also teach you what to do in various situations. Like if the earth get invaded by aliens, or how to survive if transported to a strange and hostile world.

Uploader
    Upload
    660 Video(s)
    Otaku Lvl
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hallvard View Post
    Oh yes, games have improved my English a lot for starters.
    And I can also blame my interest in history on games (Age of Empires),
    + Most historical games like the Total War games are packed full of historical facts.
    Many games improve your logic thinking and puzzle solving abilities. Some can even help you improve your result on a IQ test, i.e. shape recognition.
    Strategy games teaches you to plan ahead.

And then a lot of games also teach you what to do in various situations. Like if the earth get invaded by aliens, or how to survive if transported to a strange and hostile world.
    "improved English" *adds to report* and "interest in history", so it inspires learning *add to report*

and also what to do if there is a zombie outbreak
    Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt - Mark Twain

Otaku Lvl
    Thanks

Some games also improve your hand and eye coordination and reflexes.

Taokaka's voice Persona Omikaru's Avatar
    Otaku Lvl
    Thanks

Some games are very helpful to me in both thinking and physical challenges. For decades, games have been very useful in learning how to think from a new perspective (Such as Final Fantasy Tactics or any RPG), to even learning how NOT to drive (like GTA and Initial D).

Some games are making learning even more fun by placing it in things you'd never thought you'd expect. From business tactics to figuring out puzzles by beating bosses and monsters alike, you even learn some very unexpected history. Castlevania is one, good, primary example of that.
    To user:

Why are you looking down here for? Nothing interesting here! Now scroll down to the next colored object you see and look there!

Xiety ♥ Misaka Mikoto
    Upload
    1282 Video(s)
    Otaku Lvl
    Thanks

RTS gives you how fast you make a battle plan so meaning you can foresee ahead of your enemy

Yu Gi Oh is good card game to make a gamble for your life ^^ ahahaha im joking, card game helps you to count numbers add power add LP and also calculate your remaining LP, a game for math

Also there are games develop your logical thinking

Otaku Lvl
    Thanks

well... for me.... games can really keep your brains working... and its a really good way to relax and have fun.... there's a lot of positive effect.... improve your reaction, allow opens your mind on a different view.... also sometimes it can give you inspiration about a lot of stuff.... and lots more....

and the bad sides is....
    elders... (im talking about grandparents here....) they're usually too old to understand the importance of taking your time and do stuff at your own pace... so... when ever i play games..... the scowl and yeah... i bet you guys know what they usually said....
    because of this..... i got a pretty bad relationship with my grandparents....

sorry its kinda long... its my personal thought as a gamer... >.<

:::Colorless:::
    Upload
    38 Video(s)
    Otaku Lvl
    Thanks

lol probably most of you from the Philippines don't know about it but in the States there used to be famous CM on "Hooked on Phonics"

Kuuhaku

Upload
    737 Video(s)
    Otaku Lvl
    Thanks

Yeah there are things we can learn from game....like being posted before here.....history and language is the basic...then some games promote those strategy related which can improve someone thinking.

I LIVE HERE IN EARTH! LIVING IN A ISLAND IN ASIA! LIVING IN A CITY! LOT! HOUSE! ROOM!
    Otaku Lvl
    Thanks

Yes video games help! you can knw wat to do and not do in extreme situation!!
    War games can also help in real life!

Otaku Lvl
    Thanks

However, there are some.. rather bad (yet unproven) reasons on why people don't see that gaming does improve learning if not other ways.

1. Due to the rise in violent crimes amongst youngsters and teenagers (youngest arrest was 7 years old stealing a family car to go to the movies) there has been accusations that games promoting violence and other crimes are the cause.

- On the plus side, it's not been proven. At all.

2. Even though two consoles so far are promoting health and physical exercise, such as DDR for the Playstation series and the Wii, it's been said that even the laziest aren't changing.

- Good and very convincing, however.. that's up to the person doing so. If you're doing things rather half-assed, it's no wonder. Those who want to improve their physique if not feel better mentally because of that change, they would be smart to do it as part of the daily routine.
    To user:

Why are you looking down here for? Nothing interesting here! Now scroll down to the next colored object you see and look there!

Otaku Lvl
    Thanks

Gaming helps in many ways.
    It helps in building your reflexes, learn some new vocabulary and sometimes, learn new language. Sometimes I play Japanese games and then play the english counterpart. I learned to read Katakana and Hiragana just by playing japanese tales games.

Otaku Lvl
    Thanks

I've heard some divisions of the Armed Forces use FPS and the like to relieve reluctance to killing. In this instance it can be stated that quite a few games (and not just shooters) can help train the human psyche for certain situations. I've even heard that video games can be therapeutic in some instances; like Doctors using video games for rehabilitation of sociopaths or other severely psychologically disabled patients.

Xiety ♥ Misaka Mikoto
    Upload
    1282 Video(s)
    Otaku Lvl
    Thanks

Some games are rated like GTA for one you cant buy it unless in your right age in some countries

News reported that GTA you can learn how to car theft

Otaku Lvl
    Thanks

For me.. DDR or wii sports help you get off your feet and move a little... some games requires not only button smashing but also more physical movement like steepping on that piece of panel or moving up and down..

Ex:1.Eye toy (ps2) 2.DDR 3.Wii sport..

Otaku Lvl
    Thanks

Ehhhh I don't know if those games are a legitimate substitute for actual exercise, Plus games sports games and games that market activity as its selling point are kinda retarded imo, if you wanna play football just make some friends and play foot ball...that why I believe RPGs are the only legitimate form of video game

Uploader
    Upload
    660 Video(s)
    Otaku Lvl
    Thanks

Actually DDR is good excercise gots me burning calories keeps me from being obese

Otaku Lvl
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by xiety View Post
    Some games are rated like GTA for one you cant buy it unless in your right age in some countries

News reported that GTA you can learn how to car theft
    Yes, but successful steals? = 0

Why? You get caught and they got smarter by putting out 'bait cars'. So, you won't be getting away with it very easily.

As for games with the ratings, that is very much true. Effective: No. Reasons being?

One huge hint: Adults already buy it for the kids.
    To user: