What language do you listen to music in?
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    Otaku Lvl
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

Default What language do you listen to music in?

My apologies for such a weak title. I have had a bad day, and very angry but that is fate.

A question: do you ever listen to Western/English music as 'otakus'?
    I know you can not distinguish 'Western', as south Japan is as 'West' as America; but still. English language songs, if you will. I notice all the music you are posting is Japanese, or sung in Japanese; I have to concede that apart from a few select artists I do not listen to Japanese vocal music. It is boring for me o.O
    I much prefer English or 'foreign' language songs where I have to translate as I go along. I was just wondering if it was mirrored, if reversed.

This was played at a party a while back, and I must admit; it was good. The slow BPM, deep synthline and militristic kicks, combined with Steve Naghavi's beautiful accent...truly, it is a 'sexy' song. I love his voice. Purring...

And One - Steine sind Steine
    http://www.youtube.co.jp/watch?v=y6A...eature=related

A, well, anyway, another factor ehhh :(, *ignore*.

A little known artist, a huge drop, a classic name. I wish Japan would start producing some decent DuBstep. Truly, a failure. I have to concede to England on this genre. ;)

Koan Sound - Akira
    http://www.youtube.co.jp/watch?v=Nf9...eature=related

[ Please bear in mind that the drop on this is to 31Hz; with added cuts. Unless you are a 'music otaku' (ongaku?) and have adequate speakers, it will sound distorted. This clip is a modified version, with a higher drop. http://www.youtube.co.jp/watch?v=ITlyEnNLuSc ]

One of the few Japanese artists I listen to, Mizumori's voice is beautiful. Support the mS of Japan! For victory!

水森かおり - 相合傘 [ Mizumori Kaori - Aiaigasa ]
    http://www.youtube.co.jp/watch?v=XVngBwJOm8M

That is a selection of the music I listen to; perhaps if any commenting could do similar? It would be interesting.
    Last edited by Yoru Kyouki; 09-08-2010 at 01:11 PM.

This city could be any city in the world. London, New York, Paris, Prague, Dhaka, Vienna, Sofia, Beijing; bland, monotonous.

It is a picture of Hiroshima from a famous viewpoint, in case you were interested. Nothing distinguishes it. It is all the same.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Yoru Kyouki For This Useful Post:

erin92 (09-17-2014)

Appointed OS DJ
    Otaku Lvl
    Thanks

lol u post the same way i do things when i post music links..
    if u refer back to my game thread.. u see wut i mean by "few music otakus"?

i started listening to japanese stuff, cause it duplicated the effect of classical music while studying (u couldnt get hooked on lyrics) but after a while i started noticing instruments playing, and after that i could never go back to "vocally preferred" music like is most "western" music. as long as i can tell they are absolutely awesome with or without bands (like paul gilber) im open minded about it.

so just a couple of my favorites..
    RinToshiteShigure
    想像のSecurity
    (alot of people dont like his vocals, but besides the extreme instrumental skills, i love how both vocals can merge to almost the same sound despite being oposite sex, def one of my library gems)

el-Ethnic Legist
    Astralite
    (These guys are incredibly unique in their genre.. more of a dark tone, but i cant "feel the darkness" if you will. this sht is almost spiritual and really love these guys)

Koyote
    Return
    (notice the completely oposite of what i was talking about now? lol, even though its korean, the personal life story of the vocalist is something i find a personal relation to. ill always favor people that defeat adversity)

If only more people were interested in sharing their "outside the box" musical views..

:::Colorless:::
    Upload
    38 Video(s)
    Otaku Lvl
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

I also tried making a music thread but it was buried without a single reply.

*Goes and looks for it*
    for some reason it got moved into forum "games" even though its a recommendation chain
    http://otaku-streamers.com/community...ggestion-Chain!

I actually listen to a lot of different langauges
    Heres the three from the thread I created, reposting them here:

Thievery Corporation: Le Monde
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjbhUiuGGf0
    Coeur de Pirate: C Etait Salement Romantique
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6eVvkKNRq8
    Enya: Wild Child
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZGpUq1OZW0
    Keane: Somewhere Only We Know
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGBLiGFaddo

The music I listen to really depends on my mood but the only thing I can't really get to like is Japanese Boy Band Vocals.
    Japanese bands have great instrumentals but meh vocals, just my personal taste.
    Last edited by darkpoetry; 10-10-2010 at 12:46 AM.

Appointed OS DJ
    Otaku Lvl
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by darkpoetry View Post
    I also tried making a music thread but it was buried without a single reply.

The music I listen to really depends on my mood but the only thing I can't really get to like is Japanese Boy Band Vocals.
    Japanese bands have great instrumentals but meh vocals, just my personal taste.
    nope, its not personal taste. japanese bands are "infamous" for their vocal abilities, and are mostly about instrumentals or the looks of the members in the bands. they are getting better on these recent years about that, but its still a trend in Jmusic.
    personally i mostly ignore vocals, so it works for me.
    which brings me to asking if u actually speak french.. the links are quite the other side of the spectrum from what i would listen to o_o

The reason most music threads fail, is because it usually requires 2 things
    1. it takes a certain amount of effort from every poster (unlike the "hey wats up" or "i like/hate this" threads)
    2. it requires the poster to care about the feedback. But considering your audience most music threads fail to integrate anime/japanese stuff with music

My music thread is the closest thing to a successful music thread, but i made it like 7 months ago and still has minimal activity and much less than answering "do you like chocolate?"
    Hopefully u'll check out my thread and make the list grow by a little..
    Last edited by Feldrance; 10-10-2010 at 01:34 AM.

Sui generis Serendipity
    Otaku Lvl
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

Most of what music I listen to is English, that's the norm where I live. I... like theatrical musicals. I also like opera and choral music which stems out of different languages from all over the world. :)

I would share examples exceptately music links tend to freeze my computer... Apologies!
    "Reality is nothing but an assumption. Truth is, nobody has the slimmest slight of a clue as to how something's gonna happen until it does. Even then, it's not reality. Reality is propaganda. It's spoon-fed to us until the taste is familiar and we go back for seconds ourselves. It's a tool to shut down what you can hope can be. You put down that spoon. Take heart, have imagination, have faith. Never take hold of your spoon without giving reality room to grow."

:::Colorless:::
    Upload
    38 Video(s)
    Otaku Lvl
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

I love getting lost in my music.
    This is deep deep stuff.

I was looking around and chatting with some other students from my university online and got recommending this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOZjUQYEfN4
    I mean this stuff IS EPIC

I also love the Stand Alone Complex OST
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKHa6d9sdhk

I'm trying to think someone I know that would fit your taste... maybe....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=goNYsWr8KJA
    UVERworld is one of my all-time favorite bands, though you probably already know them

Also, an american band, very famous so you got to know them
    Fall Out Boys - American Sweethearts
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmvwWRCFYog
    not too big of a fan but this song is gold
    Last edited by darkpoetry; 10-10-2010 at 02:11 AM.

Otaku Lvl
    Thanks

I mainly listen to music in English and Spanish some times I dabble in the J-rock or other forms of music in a different language

my favorite English band is The Mars Volta (although they sing in Spanish too)
    my favorite non English band I guess would be... Jose Jose naa just messing with you umm... jarabe de palo very upbeat hippy like band from Spain ^_^
    Favorite non English non Spanish band umm... typhoon24 I first heard of them in Beck:Mongolian chop squad but I loved the sound enough to buy the cd's

Otaku Lvl
    Thanks

J/Anime-songs

don't like the english songs nowadays...most especially OPM..

XD

Upload
    1252 Video(s)
    Otaku Lvl
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kyou010 View Post
    J/Anime-songs

don't like the english songs nowadays...most especially OPM..

XD
    Indeed, I dont like the current English songs and same with OPM. To those who dont know OPM, it is Original Pinoy Music or basically music made from PH

"The trick to running is to stay M-A-D. M for 'move ever forward'. A for 'always accelerate', and D for 'dash and don't stop'. If you don't follow those rules, you'll be doing the same thing tomorrow." - Owari no Chronicle

~Cosplayer~
    Otaku Lvl
    Thanks

i listen to anime japanese songs
    i have some english and chinese songs but mostly K-pop songs XD
    all my friends said why do you listen songs in a language you dont understand and i said - because i like the melody (and i don't listen to lyrics anyway) XD

Lover of Random Info :) kyoyahostluv's Avatar
    Otaku Lvl
    Thanks

I listen to mostly to music in english since thats the norm where I live.
    I love anime music of course!!!

"I guess this is how Napoleon felt when Washington beat him at Pearl Harbor."
    -Beast Boy, Teen Titans

Otaku Lvl
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

I'm not much in to English/American music nowadays. 'coz most of them now are RNBs, which I really dislike. And the Glee songs, I just can't stand them.

So I'm still going for anime music, ^^,
    "I guess stupidity isn't cured even after death... Yui-nyan (Angel Beats!)"

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
    OS SIG:
    Spoiler :  

Otaku Lvl
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

I listen to almost every genre

Otaku Lvl
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

I love singer 宇多田 ヒカル- Utada and composer 植松 伸夫- Nobuo Uematsu... I wish they would get married and produce a super-musician.

"Those who are lost never question a path and a drowning man doubts not the shallows."

いじわる

Upload
    145 Video(s)
    Otaku Lvl
    Thanks

^^,

listening to japanese songs
    related to anime

now because of that i dont know some english and filipino songs

Otaku Lvl
    Thanks

Because i am a filipina, ofcourse i listen to filipino songs. I love them all, especially the love songs. They are so romantic. :)) The modern music love songs from the bands huh, not the oldies, but i also like those sang by single singers.

Ofcourse, we all know that english is the international language. I listen to them. I love them also! The rhythm, beat, and the melody are nice! Especially the modern ones, i really love to sing them. I love songs from Justin Bieber, Taylor Swift, Miley Cyrus, Demi Lovato, etcccccccccccccccc.! Haha/. :)

I'm an otaku, so i listen to Japanese too. Sometimes, i sing them. Haha! I was influenced by my classmates. :) They are good in singing those kind of songs. I love Japanese songs, especially love songs. :) Cute. :D

Hmm. What else?? Korean too. K-pop virus is spreading here in the philippines. I just listen to them, and not sing. I know a few of them. Well, they're nice too.:)

Taiwanese songs. That was because of my classmate! He was addicted to S.H.E. and he memorized all of the group's songs! He was singing and dancing like S.H.E! But he is not a gay huh. His crush is hebe. So, i kinda listened to them too, but not often. :))

French songs?? I guess, i have only heard one song of it. I sang it also, for the culminating activity. Haha! :))

LOVE MUSIC & SINGING. :]]

Appointed OS DJ
    Otaku Lvl
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by qwertyuiop10 View Post
    ^^,

listening to japanese songs
    related to anime

now because of that i dont know some english and filipino songs
    Thats how becoming an "otaku" starts to begin with x_x

@alt143
    lol if only everyone in the states could be influenced to listen to something different that easily.. i swear i STILL hear people listening to linking park's "in the end", through their headphones.. that stuff is like the mario franchise.. it needs to die already D:

Otaku Lvl
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Feldrance View Post
    Thats how becoming an "otaku" starts to begin with x_x

@alt143
    lol if only everyone in the states could be influenced to listen to something different that easily.. i swear i STILL hear people listening to linking park's "in the end", through their headphones.. that stuff is like the mario franchise.. it needs to die already D:
    Oh? It's up to them. If they like it, why not? Just don't listen to them. Haha! :D I don't listen to linkin' park too, especially these days. :D I'm just loving music. :D

フレイムセイバー

Upload
    80 Video(s)
    Otaku Lvl
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AnimeYuio View Post
    i listen to anime japanese songs
    i have some english and chinese songs but mostly K-pop songs XD
    all my friends said why do you listen songs in a language you dont understand and i said - because i like the melody (and i don't listen to lyrics anyway) XD
    I agree completely. Despite the fact that I live in America, there are NO English songs in my I-Pod xD
    idk why. It may be just me, but Japanese songs have a certain element to it that songs in English just dont have...in my opinion anyway.
    Last edited by flamezaber; 10-15-2010 at 07:01 PM.

Appointed OS DJ
    Otaku Lvl
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FLAMEZABER View Post
    I agree completely. Despite the fact that I live in America, there are NO English songs in my I-Pod xD
    idk why. It may be just me, but Japanese songs have a certain element to it that songs in English just dont have...in my opinion anyway.
    @[email protected] just wut is in ur library? im actually interested since i have to deal with the daily adversity of HOW RARE it is to find someone living in the states that is accepting of anything other than english music
    u can find people that like a couple songs, but not FULL "internationalized" libraries/ipod.