Photo Advice

Thread: Photo Advice

Otaku Lvl
    Thanks

Default Photo Advice

I have recently become disabled and have been trying to find a new hobby to beat the boredom. I am just getting back into photography as the hobby of choice. It has been 15+ years since I have played with a cam so I thought I would ask for constructive criticism. Any advice you can send my way the better as it has been a long long time and these new cams have many more settings than my old Nikon SLRs.
    Attached Images

Sleepy Web Developer
    Otaku Lvl
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

Can you offer some additional details? Are you seeking advice on shot quality or for photography in general?

What kind of camera make & model do you have? Any lenses being used or are you using travel/bridge? Are you planning to make any investments in equipment? What kind of pictures do you plan to take normally (Portrait, landscaping, abstract, etc.) What is your overall goal for photography (e.g., leisure, social sharing on photography networks, etc.).

I may be able to offer some degree of input that may be helpful. As far as the pictures are concerned, I don't have much advice to offer aside from cleaning up the background (pet hairs XD) as that is a noticeable distraction, but if I can see more of your work, that would be great.

In any case, good luck on your photography sessions.

Otaku Lvl
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 1stKaiser View Post
    Can you offer some additional details? Are you seeking advice on shot quality or for photography in general?

What kind of camera make & model do you have? Any lenses being used or are you using travel/bridge? Are you planning to make any investments in equipment? What kind of pictures do you plan to take normally (Portrait, landscaping, abstract, etc.) What is your overall goal for photography (e.g., leisure, social sharing on photography networks, etc.).

I may be able to offer some degree of input that may be helpful. As far as the pictures are concerned, I don't have much advice to offer aside from cleaning up the background (pet hairs XD) as that is a noticeable distraction, but if I can see more of your work, that would be great.

In any case, good luck on your photography sessions.

I just recieved in the mail today my new fuji x-a3 mirrorless with a 16-50 and a 50-230 oic ii lens. This is my first non point and click since my SLR days in the 90's. I normally take wildlife, nature, scenery, and portrait photos at least I used to. I am not looking to upgrade any further for awhile but I tend to stay in brand when I do. This is my first non Nikon cam in 30 years. (was a good deal). I am looking for advice to get my photos to a better level. I used to be semi pro at this but again that was 20 years ago and way before any decent digitals had come out. I am not looking to get back to that level again but it would be nice to put some on social networking sites and not be ashamed. BTW I still have to sign up for social networking sites as I have been too busy to bother since they were invented lol. Lastly sorry about the stray hair, vacumed after I noticed lol I had opened the box, loaded the card and batt and started clicking. Tunnel vision meets bad situational awareness I suppose.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Sleepy Web Developer
    Otaku Lvl
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

Congratulations on the acquisition of a new toy. :)

A few things come to mind based on for shot improvement. That cute doggie in your set that you shared with us can use some good aperture (blurry background to prevent distraction & enhance quality of the subject). You can achieve this on bokeh & depth of field as well, depending on the background lighting. Aside from making sure distractions are removed, a blur to give dedicated attention to the subject of your picture is a good start.

If you're planning to go on social media, I would pick a main place for it (Instagram is good for fast social interactions, Flickr is good for joining groups, & Pinterest is a great choice as well if you have time to SEO-inject your portfolio). Just remember that if you want to increase traffic & exposure on your profiles and photography there, you need to be active. Critique & comment on other people's shots, participate in group discussions, & you should see natural growth.

Replace your name copyright with either a website with your name in the URL to boost exposure. You should also consider offering a tiny amount of your shots under a CC1.0 (Universal w/out attribution) or CC0 (no copyright) license once you start to get a lot of attention from your work. It can be a traffic booster long term.

Otaku Lvl
    Thanks

Thanks Kaiser, I was trying to monkey with the apperature to blur but have not found the sweet spot for my dof as of yet but I agree it is definitely something I should work on. I will figure out a actual water mark after I build a profile up on a dedicated hosting site like the ones you mentioned. I threw my name on at the time but honestly I shouldn't have bothered. I learned in the times of "They will steal my precious" . You are a gold mine of info and thanks again for all the great ideas.

Sleepy Web Developer
    Otaku Lvl
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

Its true that anyone keen on theft will take your work, but having a link to the photographer's profile is a good way to make up for the loss & turn a negative into a positive. You get exposure. If you inject SEO into your photography using popular keywords related to the photography you take, the positive far outweighs the negative.

Once again, good luck on your photography. Glad I could help a bit. :)