Why is OS so quiet lately?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 28
  1. #1
    Witch/Stalker NyteStalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Pick a dimension, I'm probably there
    Posts
    271
    Otaku Lvl
    3
    Thanks
    16
    Thanked 18 Times in 14 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Why is OS so quiet lately?

    I've noticed OS has been so quiet recently. It feels like there haven't been any contests in ages and like no one really participates in the forums anymore. That was one of my favorite things about this site. I understand it just happens, but I wonder if there's anything we can do to liven things back up.
    ~I would have loved anyone so long as I became dependent on him.~

  2. #2
    OS Typhoon Trespasser
    Deathwind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Around the corner
    Posts
    287
    Otaku Lvl
    4
    Thanks
    20
    Thanked 54 Times in 38 Posts

    Default

    I agree NyteStalker. It could be due to the summer vacations and school/work getting started again? I think that perhaps in a month or two, you'll see people are back on track on the forum again. At least that's what I hope. Also one of the main reason I love and prioritize this site compared to others.
    - Never underestimate nor overestimate a person -

  3. #3
    Otakustreamer Yuri
    triniman15's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Soul Society
    Posts
    726
    Otaku Lvl
    7
    Thanks
    14
    Thanked 54 Times in 48 Posts

    Default

    I think people have real Life stuff to do, just like how my work kept me away from OS.
    Spoiler :  

  4. #4
    The Finest Wine
    purpledrank's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Wherever you can find me
    Posts
    635
    Otaku Lvl
    5
    Thanks
    162
    Thanked 117 Times in 92 Posts

    Default

    There's many reasons why; people are busy, internal conflicts, external conflicts, those who plain just don't like the site, etc.. There has been a steady decline of traffic since 2014, and some of us can confirm this. In reality, it's no one's fault, and yet it s also everyone's fault that the site has gone quiet. I love OS, been here for 5 years, and it's a shame how low of traffic it's receiving.

    Now if you wanna do something about it, then keep doing stuff like this - post in the forums, and stay active in the community. People will take notice, and take action themselves.
    Glitter Is The Herpes Of Art; You May Think It's Gone, But It Always Comes Back

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to purpledrank For This Useful Post:

    CatTrain (08-12-2017)

  6. #5
    Explosion Expert PerkZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    66.220.159.255
    Posts
    566
    Thanks
    23
    Thanked 22 Times in 22 Posts

    Default

    I think its because R E A L I T Y is preventing some people to go back to the old times. Kinda sucks but that's L I F E.


    "Okay, and that's the end. For an ugly guy like me, a love story won't just start out of somewhere. This is reality"
    ~Motoyama

  7. #6
    False God/Dragonborn FAT4LS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Skyrim
    Posts
    582
    Otaku Lvl
    8
    Thanks
    96
    Thanked 77 Times in 63 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    i had a lot on my plate... and i just barely watch anime this days....cuz, mostly it went to reading Manga & Manhwa "A lot" lol and also some games...i actually barely had time... and only the weekends are my free days to binge watching anime...and only watching anime that i do now....and i haven't used Forum or SB... :D

  8. #7
    Witch/Stalker NyteStalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Pick a dimension, I'm probably there
    Posts
    271
    Otaku Lvl
    3
    Thanks
    16
    Thanked 18 Times in 14 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    Yeah, I understand all the reasons. I just think, if it was lively once, it's possible for it to be lively again!
    I know it won't just suddenly pick up, Rome wasn't built in a day, after all. But I do think as long as there's still people who care about the site, there's always hope.

    Or maybe I'm just to positive and have watched one too many gushy, feely type animes haha

    But no, I do think it's possible for traffic to pick up again.
    ~I would have loved anyone so long as I became dependent on him.~

  9. #8
    Explosion Expert PerkZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    66.220.159.255
    Posts
    566
    Thanks
    23
    Thanked 22 Times in 22 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NyteStalker View Post
    Yeah, I understand all the reasons. I just think, if it was lively once, it's possible for it to be lively again!
    I know it won't just suddenly pick up, Rome wasn't built in a day, after all. But I do think as long as there's still people who care about the site, there's always hope.

    Or maybe I'm just to positive and have watched one too many gushy, feely type animes haha

    But no, I do think it's possible for traffic to pick up again.
    I dunno what will happen in the future but I'm starting to feel that this website has starting to lose some people. Oh no before you get angry or get disgusted to what I've said. I don't mean it in a bad way. I do not hate this website nor do I have some problems with it, I really really love OS from the bottom of my soul. There is also a possibility that people are just really lurking in the shadows and not even showing their presence. kek.


    "Okay, and that's the end. For an ugly guy like me, a love story won't just start out of somewhere. This is reality"
    ~Motoyama

  10. #9
    Below Average


    Dudette09's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Six Feet Under
    Posts
    902
    Upload
    1074 Video(s)
    Otaku Lvl
    7
    Thanks
    112
    Thanked 1,137 Times in 235 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Now where to start, lol.

    Thank you very much, NyteStalker, for bringing this up. It's been a while since I've last heard, seen or read a stated concern about the well-being of the site. It's like a fresh air...from the whole field filled with complaints, lol.

    Now, let's get it on! I believe the last event held, other than the yearly OSCAs, was a dub event?! I'm not sure but I can recall how it was disappointing...because I hosted that event. Only one participant submitted an entry much to my dismay after months of organizing the event. Hence, that's where I finally given up on it. I don't think I can pluck up the courage to ask someone else to hold an event as the community is not lively anymore.

    I, with a couple of people and Jim(of course), had tried numerous times in reviving the forum section, thus the livelihood of the community in general, but failed. We concluded that it was because of the decline of forum usage not only in OS, but in most of all forum-driven sites. So, we've decided to try something else which we haven't rolled out yet along with few other plans in line. I'm not sure if these plans will happen as I have no control over them. Only Jim can start the OS' engine and fix it when needed. All we can do is a bit of a maintenance...of what's left in OS.

    Now, please allow me to vent my disappointment and sadness regarding the community. I'm not including all of the staff but just me...as I believe I'm still the most active(since we're only few left)in engaging with members. All I hear, see and read are negative feedback which are very non-motivating. Yes, all we do nowadays are maintaining the site, given that we (I'm pertaining to all staff except Jim) have limited access and can only do so much. And for the few people who stick and try to make sure OS community have enough anime series to watch, it's more of spending our time doing what we can and all we have in return are complaints, negativity and lol, issues even personal ones.

    Just like Parpol(Purpledrank) had mentioned, all of us have lives outside of OS. While others stick in this site out of love for anime, friends here or OS in general, we do too. But then again, hearing all negative feedback suck the enthusiasm out of us -- I'm sure it's not just me. So yep, we can all reclaim the number of traffic or even start improving what needs to be improved.

    Question is, will people have the audacity to at least show a bit of gratitude? Or at least, try to contribute even by showing a mere presence -- not just to pop in when the going gets tough and blame us all?

    Sorry, this is becoming a rant..but that's how it is from my side. And honestly, the love I have for OS is diminishing...

    "A nightmare dressed like a daydream."
    Skype: Dudette.Ledu | Line ID: dudette09

  11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dudette09 For This Useful Post:

    Gunshi (08-13-2017), hkatie (08-20-2017), Xenciao (08-13-2017)

  12. #10
    OS Lurker
    Xenciao's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    130
    Otaku Lvl
    6
    Thanks
    29
    Thanked 13 Times in 12 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dudette09 View Post
    Now where to start, lol.

    Thank you very much, NyteStalker, for bringing this up. It's been a while since I've last heard, seen or read a stated concern about the well-being of the site. It's like a fresh air...from the whole field filled with complaints, lol.

    Now, let's get it on! I believe the last event held, other than the yearly OSCAs, was a dub event?! I'm not sure but I can recall how it was disappointing...because I hosted that event. Only one participant submitted an entry much to my dismay after months of organizing the event. Hence, that's where I finally given up on it. I don't think I can pluck up the courage to ask someone else to hold an event as the community is not lively anymore.

    I, with a couple of people and Jim(of course), had tried numerous times in reviving the forum section, thus the livelihood of the community in general, but failed. We concluded that it was because of the decline of forum usage not only in OS, but in most of all forum-driven sites. So, we've decided to try something else which we haven't rolled out yet along with few other plans in line. I'm not sure if these plans will happen as I have no control over them. Only Jim can start the OS' engine and fix it when needed. All we can do is a bit of a maintenance...of what's left in OS.

    Now, please allow me to vent my disappointment and sadness regarding the community. I'm not including all of the staff but just me...as I believe I'm still the most active(since we're only few left)in engaging with members. All I hear, see and read are negative feedback which are very non-motivating. Yes, all we do nowadays are maintaining the site, given that we (I'm pertaining to all staff except Jim) have limited access and can only do so much. And for the few people who stick and try to make sure OS community have enough anime series to watch, it's more of spending our time doing what we can and all we have in return are complaints, negativity and lol, issues even personal ones.

    Just like Parpol(Purpledrank) had mentioned, all of us have lives outside of OS. While others stick in this site out of love for anime, friends here or OS in general, we do too. But then again, hearing all negative feedback suck the enthusiasm out of us -- I'm sure it's not just me. So yep, we can all reclaim the number of traffic or even start improving what needs to be improved.

    Question is, will people have the audacity to at least show a bit of gratitude? Or at least, try to contribute even by showing a mere presence -- not just to pop in when the going gets tough and blame us all?

    Sorry, this is becoming a rant..but that's how it is from my side. And honestly, the love I have for OS is diminishing...
    I'd just like to say that your work is appreciated (i've seen you around a lot in the time i've been around here) though some people might not talk much (me included lately) we acknowledge the effort you put in ^^

    As for the community involvement it doesn't have a simple solution,though it might be due to too many options? shoutbox,chatbox,tons of forum sections (new people might get lost?) feels like it's a bit too spread out/split,idk,just thinking out loud here

    Here's a silly idea : A contest for future contest ideas? XD though these things take tons of time,in the end it's up to the organizers

    Either way,keep up the good work OS staff,we love you :)

  13. #11
    Witch/Stalker NyteStalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Pick a dimension, I'm probably there
    Posts
    271
    Otaku Lvl
    3
    Thanks
    16
    Thanked 18 Times in 14 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    I understand completely. I just love OS and sad to see it's declining so much. I, for one, appreciate all the work the staff does. OS has an amazing staff, yet another reason I love it here. This has always been such a great site, and I wish more people could see that.
    I absolutely did not mean the original post, or any of my responses as an attack on anyone or anything like that. I'm just trying to express my feelings about OS is all. And I do apologize if I worded it improperly to make it sound any other way.
    ~I would have loved anyone so long as I became dependent on him.~

  14. #12
    Below Average


    Dudette09's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Six Feet Under
    Posts
    902
    Upload
    1074 Video(s)
    Otaku Lvl
    7
    Thanks
    112
    Thanked 1,137 Times in 235 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    No apologies needed, really. I appreciate your thread. :) Plus, it really feels nice to people who still care. XD

    With that, we'll see what we can do to make this site lively again. Again, thank you very much for the inspiration, boost and care. ^^

    "A nightmare dressed like a daydream."
    Skype: Dudette.Ledu | Line ID: dudette09

  15. #13
    Witch/Stalker NyteStalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Pick a dimension, I'm probably there
    Posts
    271
    Otaku Lvl
    3
    Thanks
    16
    Thanked 18 Times in 14 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    It's no problem! I have definitely been trying to be a lot more active on the site myself, in the sense of watching anime, participating in the forums, and talking in the shoutbox. I really do hope things start picking back up, in due time. And since I'm more active now, even though I'm not staff, I am willing to help if help is ever needed
    ~I would have loved anyone so long as I became dependent on him.~

  16. The Following User Says Thank You to NyteStalker For This Useful Post:

    Xenciao (08-14-2017)

  17. #14
    Sleepy Web Developer
    1stKaiser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Dallas/FTW, Texas
    Posts
    110
    Otaku Lvl
    6
    Thanks
    28
    Thanked 163 Times in 44 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default

    I don't see anyone mentioning anything from my viewpoint so I'll chime in. I'm a marketer so I'll talk from a business perspective. This is in no way meant to be offensive & is meant to help the site & its beloved staff. Here are the reasons I'd wager:

    1.) Lack of platform diversification.

    Years ago, people relied on a single source (e.g. Otaku-Streamers) for all of their anime. Today, it is much easier to find & watch any anime you want. People watch on their phones & home theater operating systems like Kodi, Plex, Emby, etc. using plugins/extensions made by developers that allow a new type of customer niche to access anime. People use these systems because it simplifies the ability to find their content in just a few clicks. In layman terms, the way people watch anime has evolved dramatically over the last several years. OS, however, stayed the same - and unfortunately got left behind.

    2.) Quality.

    Years ago, people didn't care about the quality of their stream. They just wanted to watch their favorite episodes as soon as they came out even with some pixelation. Today, it is very different. It is very easy to find HD anime content ready to be streamed without membership. CDN solutions evolved with that demand for HD as well - allowing people to watch HD content at high speeds. OS, however, stayed the same - and unfortunately got left behind.

    3.) Accessibility & speed.

    OS relies on older infrastructure such as Flash on mobile devices, which requires a good chunk of RAM for smooth operation. It isn't optimal for users who have updated their phone or tablet OS (which requires RAM as well). The desktop is also still the same as it was years ago. A lightweight framework like Foundation or Bootstrap would be ideal for turning the site into an app automatically without hacking the infrastructure.

    4.) OS does not have a strong social presence.

    Many people do not know about OS - and it is very easy to find a LOT of new people. For example, simply getting involved in social discussions regarding anime that takes place on hotspots like Reddit & other neutral platforms is a very powerful & free method people can use to introduce new people to the OS family.

    5.) The justification to become a member of OS is getting outdated.

    Other sites requiring membership have an incentive for joining, such as higher quality content, faster speeds, more source choices, participating in special events, etc. Others do not require membership at all & offer 1080p. Today, there isn't as much a strong incentive to be a member of OS with all of the changes in how people watch anime today - & that will need to change if staff seek to revive the community.

    6.) The hierarchy of the uploading process OS follows is too preferential (debatable).

    This risks new anime episodes getting delayed, not because no one is uploading but because a years old hierarchy to get anime uploads approved stands in front of upload efforts.

    I disagree that internal & external micropolitics between members lead to the state of OS today. The core reason is & always has been not keeping up with the evolving culture & demand of the viewership. Pointing fingers at others won't help OS. Asking existing members to be more aggressive in being active without strong incentive is not the answer either. However, these 6 issues are what I would definitely discuss if I were in the staff's shoes. These 6 setbacks are the primary reasons why the forums & social sections are much quieter today. People have a massive amount of choices that literally didn't exist just a few years ago - so facilitating a hangout place on a site that is no longer optimized for today's anime viewing standards just seems fruitless to many outside of hardcore OS enthusiasts who remain.

    That eventually leads to mass member inactivity.

    Can OS change that & become a powerhouse?

    Absolutely. The site has incredible potential & wonderful people. You guys can definitely do it.

  18. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to 1stKaiser For This Useful Post:

    AOIsama (09-06-2017), Dudette09 (08-15-2017), hkatie (08-20-2017), NyteStalker (08-14-2017), PerkZ (08-15-2017), purpledrank (08-14-2017), Risse (08-14-2017), Xenciao (08-15-2017)

  19. #15
    OS Regular
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    1
    Otaku Lvl
    5
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Default

    First and foremost, this is an anime streaming site. People come here to watch anime, so just keep on updating the animes here and this site will survive as long as their are people who loves to watch animes. That's what google has been doing this entire time, it still is a simple but powerful search engine. Take a look at yahoo or friendster. They've added so much features that they missed out on their real purpose and boom!

    - Please ignore what i just said. I'm just bored here at work waiting for my shift to end.

  20. The Following User Says Thank You to ZaBaY For This Useful Post:

    Dudette09 (08-15-2017)

  21. #16
    OS Regular Iwannawatch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    39
    Otaku Lvl
    6
    Thanks
    17
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ZaBaY View Post
    First and foremost, this is an anime streaming site. People come here to watch anime, so just keep on updating the animes here and this site will survive as long as their are people who loves to watch animes. That's what google has been doing this entire time, it still is a simple but powerful search engine. Take a look at yahoo or friendster. They've added so much features that they missed out on their real purpose and boom!

    - Please ignore what i just said. I'm just bored here at work waiting for my shift to end.
    True. There are some series here which have not been completed and stay yellow. I think it's one of the many reasons I go to some other site sometimes. But hey I still come back here hahaha.

    On a side note, I also come here to watch some Kdrama or Jdrama, or whatever else drama there is here :P

  22. #17
    OS chef in the making
    N1RV45H's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    745
    Otaku Lvl
    6
    Thanks
    113
    Thanked 40 Times in 27 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    This site used to be for both streaming anime and the community interactions through the forums and such. ever since the purge its gone down hill.

  23. #18
    Apex Procrastination CatTrain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    212
    Otaku Lvl
    5
    Thanks
    22
    Thanked 14 Times in 14 Posts

    Default

    OS really does hold a special place in my heart, Its pretty much where I discovered anime by random chance. Its kind of sad to see the decline, but at the same time I like the small "family" like aspect we have going. I've recently started to be more active in the SB and its nice to see all the familiar names! I really would like to see another contest, I thought it was really cool to see everything everyone made. I think It just needs to be something really simple like the "late to school" picture contest. Something that doesn't take as much effort and is easy to participate.
    "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know"

  24. #19
    Anime Revolutionist
    LastVanguard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Eastern Nebraska
    Posts
    361
    Thanks
    59
    Thanked 109 Times in 73 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default

    To be fair, it's not just Otaku Streamers that has this issue. Many other anime sites that haven't made the jump to 720p video yet or are using an interface that (admittedly, no offense) looks like it's from the late 1990s/early 2000s have the same dilemma. Many of them have already turned to ad revenue to try and keep themselves afloat long enough to entertain the idea of trying to combat some of their weaknesses that are causing viewers to leave. There's just too many "big players" in the anime industry these days that kept ahead of the technology curve and proactively made these changes ahead of the competition. OS wasn't one of them to the degree it could have been.

    All of 1stKaiser's points, which I agree with to an extent, would ultimately be fixed if OS considered the idea of a site redesign and also re-evaluated the models under which OS would operate. While it's easy to say that like it's nothing, there's some pretty steep mountains to climb with making something like that happen:

    1. It would easily take 2,000 - 3,000 labor hours to redesign OS and re-encode 720p versions of a lot of the videos here, if not longer.
    2. The time it would take to complete this project would be between 1-3 years.
    3. The cost of hosting would easily triple if not quadruple, since more space would be needed to store the new media, even before the new site was technically live.

    Considering that OS would struggle considerably to meet any of these three points, the best option is to leave the site, more or less, as it is now and hope it can hold on for as long as possible. The only other alternative would be to resort to ad revenue, but if OS goes that route, it's no different than any of the other sites out there - the lack of ads, along with the older anime selection, is one of the few things OS has going for it right now. Jim has to make the call.

    In my opinion, unless something changes in the interim, can OS hold out for another 5 years? 3 years? I'm not sure. Running an anime site on donations that seldom surpass 50% of the monthly goal is a tall order, let alone turning it into something more than it is right now.

    As someone who donated over $1,000 to this site and uploaded hundreds of videos here, I don't know. I just don't know.

  25. #20
    Sleepy Web Developer
    1stKaiser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Dallas/FTW, Texas
    Posts
    110
    Otaku Lvl
    6
    Thanks
    28
    Thanked 163 Times in 44 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LastVanguard View Post
    All of 1stKaiser's points, which I agree with to an extent, would ultimately be fixed if OS considered the idea of a site redesign and also re-evaluated the models under which OS would operate. While it's easy to say that like it's nothing, there's some pretty steep mountains to climb with making something like that happen:

    1. It would easily take 2,000 - 3,000 labor hours to redesign OS and re-encode 720p versions of a lot of the videos here, if not longer.
    2. The time it would take to complete this project would be between 1-3 years.
    3. The cost of hosting would easily triple if not quadruple, since more space would be needed to store the new media, even before the new site was technically live.
    Indeed you're right. Alas~ Its the business of this niche. You have to keep up with the demand. It takes a lot of work to do it, but it has to be done (development in this case is more crucial than design because availability of content at ease of functionality is the most important element of content sites). The amount of time it takes on a project like that depends on the experience of the developers, the CMS being used, etc., but it is a difficult objective. There is no easy way out of it. OS participation is currently powered by veteran users who grew up with it and/or discovered it in 2009-2012ish when it was difficult to source fast anime streams, but it doesn't cater as strongly to new users due to the modern changes today. The problem is that veteran users will not last forever, as staff and members from that time grow up, get jobs, get married, lose interest, face conflicts with others, etc., all of which serves a potentially huge blow to OS's functionality if a key member disappears. As long as the site remains as is, it is desperately dependent on a limited community pool & vulnerable to functionality & finance problems.

    HD streams are commonplace. And internet speeds for viewers are improving more & more to handle HD. If a user on here cannot find updated content here, the temptation to leave to another site to get the new episode that came out is much stronger today & that person may love & join that community instead. OS needs not only development, but a new value proposition for today's viewer (why OS stands out from other sites, why people should be members, etc.). The site will need an interface that answers those questions for the best results.

    There is no quick way around these big tasks. But for those willing to put the work in, it will reintroduce a fresh community of people that will be more active on OS as long as the site keeps up with the evolving viewership. Otherwise, OS will get left behind again, those viewers will grow up... rinse & repeat.

    Also, about money...

    Despite the competition of this niche, there is actually a lot of money in it. Certain developers are actually making a LOT of money - Between $7K-$30K per month from their sites. Some use atrocious ad methods that anger people. Others use very creative community-friendly methods instead of being in or staving off debt - which comes from many things aside from ad revenue & donations. Ad revenue & donations are just two methods of many. You have to rethink your approach on what kind of website you want to develop. With the right mindset, there is room for major improvement, monetization, & success for OS. But the work must be done. It is overdue.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •