The Surge: First Impressions Review
    The Finest Wine
    Otaku Lvl
    Thanks

Default The Surge: First Impressions Review

Okay so, I'm just gonna make this a quick one, because there's not much to know. The game was inspired by obvious Dark Souls fans, so the mechanics, play style, and combat are all close to each other. However, each aspect that was inspired by Dark Souls, is lacking a bit. The combat is dodgy, the exploration isn't really there, the visuals are kinda boring, but the concept is actually really cool. If the creators took more time to have more variety, not only in the types of enemies, but also in the exploration, then the game would be much better.

Now there is one, very infuriating aspect of The Surge that I need address........ the boss battles. The first one is a great introduction, the second is a great followup, but it all goes downhill from there. Too-freaking OP (over powered). But, not just the boss battles, but also certain enemies, if not almost all enemies, that are too damn strong, and can easily one-shot you. The combat system is way too unbalanced, that it almost makes the leveling system obsolete.

Not only that, but the leveling system is off as well. Normally you would choose a perk, or raise a certain aspect of you character, but no, you only get a little bit more health, stamina, and energy. The game uses levels like how you would use Lands in Magic The Gathering. However many lands you have is what allows you to place certain other cards on the field. Same concept; however many levels you have, you can apply a certain armor piece, weapon, or perk-item (works like a ring buff).

There's just too much the creators did, or maybe didn't do, to make The Surge as similar to Dark Souls as possible. Honestly, I think basing the game around Dark Souls was the problem. You can tell that the originality wasn't exactly all there, but I still stand by what I said about the concept. Great concept, but the combat system, leveling system, and enemy variety needs to change.

What do you think about The Surge?
    Glitter Is The Herpes Of Art; You May Think It's Gone, But It Always Comes Back

Game~Dev mostly
    Otaku Lvl
    Thanks

i actually beat the third boss in one go x) but the thing that annoyed me the most was that there is no real point to switch weapons after the first boss battle.. it's basically a decision to nerf yourself so you can try another weapon :\

I do like the ooh nice enemy weapon, hack of hand and get new weapon mechanic :p

that's the last boss i've done so far so still got a probably quite a few to go x)
    - Ryunigia

Thanks

I agree with almost everything you said. I just hope there's going to be The Surge 2 so they can improve on what they learned from the mistakes of the first game. It's a solid game still imo.
    These are the best testosterone boosters I love.