Video quality button
    Otaku Lvl
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

Question Video quality button

Hi!

My suggestion is simple, but I'm not sure if it's even possible.

Anyway, I think it would be nice if we could have the possibility to stream videos with better quality. I'm not an expert, but I think that the the videos are all being streamed with the same quality for server performance or something related to that. Is it possible to add a button to change video quality for those of us that have a good internet connection? or in any case is it possible to improve the quality in general?

Thanks!

:)

Former Anime Overlord

Upload
    4290 Video(s)
    Otaku Lvl
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LeonTieff View Post
    Hi!

My suggestion is simple, but I'm not sure if it's even possible.

Anyway, I think it would be nice if we could have the possibility to stream videos with better quality. I'm not an expert, but I think that the the videos are all being streamed with the same quality for server performance or something related to that. Is it possible to add a button to change video quality for those of us that have a good internet connection? or in any case is it possible to improve the quality in general?

Thanks!

:)
    Hi, I've been out of the video scene for a while but I think I can answer your question. Os hosts an optimal video quality for the size of the video it uses. To increase the quality or host an option for an HD quality would take up for server space and bandwidth required, which in result would reflect a higher monthly quota (donations) as the videos accumulate. Uploaders follow the guideline of specific video quality-size for this reason.

Dark Clouds in the sky With spells and witchcraft
    I'm chained below
    Kimi ni todoke // Lovely complex // Shiki // Ghost Hunt ..

Anime Revolutionist
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

I'd echo what error345 mentioned, as well as adding a little input of my own.

To do a quick number crunch, let's say that 720p videos take up roughly 200MB a piece of space on the server. I understand that many other sites encode their 720p files larger than that for quality reasons, but let's say OS does theirs at that point to try and save space.

200MB video files multiplied times the 40,000 or so odd modern videos on this site leaves you with 8TB of additional space on the server needed to store them, not to mention that that number is going to grow by 2-4TB every year that OS would do 720p video for. That's a lot of server storage space, and it all costs money for that space as well as bandwidth costs to stream it. Mind you, this is only for 720p video, not even 1080p which many people consider to be the "industry standard" at present.

When you factor in that OS doesn't usually reach it's monthly donation goal outside of an intervening comment from JBluey, you're left with the reality of the situation: making this happen is going to be hard if not impossible. More money is needed on a regular basis.

While it would be incredible to see this happen on OS, it's up to the members here to make it happen.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to LastVanguard For This Useful Post:

PotatoStyle (05-03-2017)

Below Average

Upload
    1074 Video(s)
    Otaku Lvl
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,262 Times in 247 Posts
    Blog Entries

Long story short, we can only offer one and the same quality of videos provided by our uploaders. This is not affected of the viewer's internet speed. Our buffering speed will only vary depending our internet speed. Hence, to answer your question, we don't have preferences on quality. ^^

Knowing yours is fast, you will be able to buffer videos in the shorter amount of time.:)