Deadline

Thread: Deadline

OS Supporter
    Otaku Lvl
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

Default Deadline

Today, the dawn never came. I watched the moon set itself to slumber, but there was no lightening of the sky in the east. No colors of deepest red, blushing pink, burning orange, or blinding yellow painted the low-hanging clouds that sat upon the horizon. I stood looking out the kitchen window as the clock ticked further into the later hours of the morning and stars still winked down at me. Five o'clock, six o'clock, seven. I watched as the neighbors wandered out of their homes - business men dressed in suits and ties, grumpy teens in ripped jeans and t-shirts, bleary-eyes children in jackets and backpacks, and women ready for a day at the office. At first, no one notices the lack of sun, but, one by one, rushing people paused and then stared at the sky, curiosity turning into perplexity turning into terror. They whispered to each other, I could see their lips move in the lights from the street lamps and porch lights, but I couldn't hear what they were saying. More people wandered from their homes, some half-dressed while others were still in their bed clothes. No one was all that worried about rushing off to work. Parent started to shoo their kids back inside the brightly lit houses or gathered them as close to them as possible.

Seven-thirty. I sighed and moved away from the window. I grabbed the cup of coffee off the counter and sat back down in front of my laptop; I'd been up for hours and still had a long way to go. Taking a sip, I settled down for the long haul. My fingers danced across the keyboard, the tap, tap, taptaptap, of the keys a calming mantra for my anxious soul. It was the long pauses between taps that made me nervous. I continued the story I'd been working on for months; the deadline was looming near I still had so much more to write. I had to focus. Eight o'clock, nine o'clock, ten. Loud voices drifted through the open window, interrupting my flow of thought. I paused in my typing and listened for a moment. People were shouting to one another, asking what they might have heard; a radio blared with the forced calm voice of an announcer telling people not to panic; children were yelling, confused about the chaos; and someone was screaming about the end. I could even hear a few people sobbing. Quickly irritated, I got up and slammed the living room window shut. It was still dark outside, stars blinking unconcernedly down at the pandemonium. There was still no sign that the sun was going to rise any time soon. People were running around in a panic; a few sat on the curb just staring at the sky, their shoulders trembling with silent tears. I shut the curtain, grabbed my empty mug off the coffee table as I walked by, and wandered back into the dark kitchen to refill it. After taking a sip of the rich elixir, I returned to my couch and the dreaded laptop. I took a deep breath, tried to block out the noise now trying to force its way past the glass, and stared at the screen half full of words. Nothing. The noise from outside escalated, broke through the closed window, and invaded my brain. I couldn't think.

Eleven o'clock, twelve o'clock, one. I began to wonder if it will ever be quiet again. My finger tapped incessantly upon the j, still nothing came to mind. Sirens echoed in the distance, adding to the cacophony that assaulted my ears and I found myself thinking about what it would be like if there were no people. The idea stuck in my mind and my fingers again danced across the keyboard, weaving the absence of people into my story about a day the sun never rose. The day wore on, my deadline creeping ever closer, and I worked tirelessly. two o'clock, three o'clock, four. I gradually came to realize that the only sound I heard now was the tap tap tataptaping of my fingers upon the keys. Curious, I got up from the couch and wandered back over to the window. The street was empty. There were no frightened people milling about the lawns, no children running about screaming, no sobbing people upon the curbs. Even the shrill echoes of sirens had died. Interesting. I walked back to the couch, grabbed my empty mug, and went back into the kitchen to fill it. I took a long sip of the rich, dark, liquid, topped it back off, and wandered back to my laptop. Finally, silence.
    Last edited by Koryuu; 01-06-2018 at 04:26 PM.
    "Forget the lingering darkness in your scars
    and pour so much light into everything you touch,
    the universe will have to create brighter stars
    once you're gone."
    -D. Antoinette Foy

Regular Uploader

Upload
    119 Video(s)
    Otaku Lvl
    Thanks

Got to say Dragon-chan, i liked the whole thing seems dark yet some what realistic completely my style keep writing looking forward to read more

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Prudii For This Useful Post:

Koryuu (03-29-2017)

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Koryuu~ is this the one you told me about? It's really good. Keep writing...:) :) :)

Otaku Lvl
    Thanks

whats next XD
    hello there! whats up?

OS Supporter
    Otaku Lvl
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Risse View Post
    Koryuu~ is this the one you told me about? It's really good. Keep writing...:) :) :)
    I honestly don't remember what I even said, so I can't tell you if it is or not. LOL However, I had a lot of fun writing this one. I'm really starting to enjoy writing these short stories.
    once you're gone."
    -D. Antoinette Foy

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Koryuu View Post
    I honestly don't remember what I even said, so I can't tell you if it is or not. LOL However, I had a lot of fun writing this one. I'm really starting to enjoy writing these short stories.
    I meant if this is the one you were worried about...not getting posted together with your poem "Nocturne Clock"

OS Supporter
    Otaku Lvl
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

Oh. No, that was something else. Turned out I didn't post it and forgot that I'd chickened out. LOL

------------------

That's it. This is a completed piece...or as completed as any art work can be. LOL
    Last edited by Rasen Oh; 03-31-2017 at 10:46 AM.
    once you're gone."
    -D. Antoinette Foy