Should The Mobile Version of OS Be Reverted?
    Anime Revolutionist
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

Default Should The Mobile Version of OS Be Reverted?

Let me start off by saying that this isn't an attempt to bash anyone, or to "vent" about anything OS-related. Rather, it's the perspective of someone who's recognized a generally-accepted issue that I'd like help from both the OS community as well as the staff in finding a solution for.

I do like the idea of OS getting a mobile version of the site. I think it's a great direction for OS to go in, and it's been needed for quite a while. It visually looks good, as well.

That being said, the mobile site is missing a lot of core features that the main site has. What makes this hard for a lot of users is the idea that many people don't have an easy option to change back to the old site on their mobile device; unless they can change to "Desktop Mode" on their mobile device's browser which has compatibility issues in some cases, they're stuck with a limited featureset on OS and no way to really get around it. This is limiting the website experience on OS for a lot of people at present.

Would OS even take into consideration the idea of taking down the mobile site temporarily until the featureset could be built out a little bit more? I like the idea of it, but in my humble and completely subjective opinion, it could use a tad more work before being revealed to the public.

For those that would like to offer their input to this thread, please - no angry comments. I'm hoping we can contribute a general consensus on which direction this needs to go in without getting off on a rant or venting emotions. I'm looking for a solution, here - not a fight.

Cheers,
    LV

もうー人の神だ!.
    Upload
    8254 Video(s)
    Otaku Lvl
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,303 Times in 140 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LastVanguard View Post
    Let me start off by saying that this isn't an attempt to bash anyone, or to "vent" about anything OS-related. Rather, it's the perspective of someone who's recognized a generally-accepted issue that I'd like help from both the OS community as well as the staff in finding a solution for.

I do like the idea of OS getting a mobile version of the site. I think it's a great direction for OS to go in, and it's been needed for quite a while. It visually looks good, as well.

That being said, the mobile site is missing a lot of core features that the main site has. What makes this hard for a lot of users is the idea that many people don't have an easy option to change back to the old site on their mobile device; unless they can change to "Desktop Mode" on their mobile device's browser which has compatibility issues in some cases, they're stuck with a limited featureset on OS and no way to really get around it. This is limiting the website experience on OS for a lot of people at present.

Would OS even take into consideration the idea of taking down the mobile site temporarily until the featureset could be built out a little bit more? I like the idea of it, but in my humble and completely subjective opinion, it could use a tad more work before being revealed to the public.

For those that would like to offer their input to this thread, please - no angry comments. I'm hoping we can contribute a general consensus on which direction this needs to go in without getting off on a rant or venting emotions. I'm looking for a solution, here - not a fight.

Cheers,
    LV
    Thank you very much.

But...

It is the best option for me to release it in public to know everything that is missing. as you know OS is a VERY OLD code which is done 5-6yrs ago, so OLD technologies are used. We released this 2 weeks to some of members to do some test. but the data isn't enough to know what are missing.

if you want to use the desktop version. i believe mobile/tablets has an option of "Request Desktop Site".

We are asking members to fill up the form ( https://goo.gl/forms/UKLKflCpbTMyi3wo2 ). for the missing functions you want to be added.

all response from this form will be directly sent to me. so all of them will be read.

Thanks

Closing this thread cause i wont be reverting it back unless its related to a critical/security issue. missing functions? use the form so i could add them.

Below Average

Upload
    3109 Video(s)
    Otaku Lvl
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,330 Times in 253 Posts
    Blog Entries

Thank you for your input, LastVanguard. :)

I'll just add few more points with what Big Boss (ahh, I'm so hooked at DOTS) Jbluey said. Initially, Jim started to create Mobi v. 1.00 to address the mobile streaming we've had experiencing for the past months. We've decided to add more features that members usually use which are the core ones Jim added. Then, the rest of the staff agreed to name it as v. 1.00 as we believe that this will be developed and definitely grow as time goes by with the help of our members. So, it was launched.

If we wait for more suggestions, it will never get started. Just like a child, if you wait for him to runwithout teaching him how to walk, he'll never get started to do so. So, yes, it only has the main essentials of the whole site. But worry not, Jim has it covered with the help of the community...because that's the reason why it was build in the first place...for the community.

For anyone who would like to contribute and share their suggestion for the Mobi v. 1.00, please do fill out the form as Jim requested. :)

Thank you. :)