One Last Day

Thread: One Last Day

OS Supporter
    Otaku Lvl
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

Default One Last Day

There was something about the way he walked over that told me something was wrong. It shone from deep within his stormy-blue eyes; hiding behind laugh lines, dimples, and a smile that brought life to his face - except for those eyes.... I'm not sure what made me so anxious, nothing really looked out of place, everything just felt out of place, like those dreams that seem real except that a part of you just feels like it's all just a dream. Just something in the way he held his head, had his hands in his pockets, and walked as though under an enormous weight triggered this fear within my soul.

"Hey Anya," he said when he reached me. It sounded normal enough, aside from the slightest tremble when he said my name and a single tear traced a path down my check, slowly and softly like a lover's touch in the early hours of the morning when they long to touch you but don't want to wake you just yet. A tear? I should be happy to see Kayden, not sad, not afraid. What is wrong with me today?

"Morning Kayden." I tried to smile, but a sharp ache echoed through my chest, as though a painful, distant memory triggered a phantom wound that throbbed along jagged edges in my heart.

"I'm sorry I never made it last night."

I frowned. Last night...oh yeah, Kayden was supposed to come over last night. Is that why I'm feeling this way?
    "Yeah you are. You've never stood me up before. What happened?"

His eyes seemed to dim, "I got held up. I'm really sorry."

"Well...I forgive you. As long as you don't start to make a habit of it." I held out my hand. Kayden smiled sadly before wrapping his darker, rougher, larger hand around mine.

The day passed as Fridays usually do. We went to class, walked to the nearby deli for lunch, and took a walk through the park on the way back to my house. It was nice, just the two of us. We didn't talk much, but instead simply enjoyed each other's company, Kayden's hand never leaving mine. And just I as I began to think that nothing could possibly ruin this perfect day, he leaned in to kiss me goodbye. Suddenly overcome with the nameless fear from that morning, I grabbed ahold of his arm and I stared, searchingly, into his eyes for some hint as to what was wrong in our world. I began to fear that if I let him leave, I would never see him again.

"Stay."

The smile he gave as he nodded seemed a little forced and his eyes looked a little sad. I could lose myself in those eyes: shades of grey shifting through metallic-blue with a tiny imperfection of gold in his right iris. A burning sensation at the corner of my own eyes flooded sorrow through my heart as the thought of never seeing those eyes again flickered across my mind. I quickly looked away, blinking rapidly to clear away welling hot tears, and forced the offending thought into a dark corner of my mind.

We cuddled on the couch and watched re-runs of our favorite show, his arms wrapped around my waist were a comfort even as a chill spread throughout my body. I shivered and he bent his head to kiss my forehead, his soft lips familiar against my skin.

"It's getting late," he whispered as my eyelids drooped, feeling heavy against the relentless march of time.

Don't go," I breathed, even as I began to drift off into the awaiting darkness. I felt his arms tighten around my waist.

"I love you," he whispered, his breath tickling my cheek. I smiled sleepily. "I'm sorry"

The sun shining through the picture window warmed my face, pulling me from oblivion. I opened my eyes, squinted, and rolled over to the murmur of noise coming from…somewhere…. Reluctantly, I opened my eyes, squinted, and rolled over. Realization suddenly hit me: I was alone.

I grabbed my phone off the nearby stand, thinking to demand an explanation when I saw that I had a new text message. It was from Kayden and it was dated two nights ago.

I will always love you. I'm sorry.

Voices poured from the television that had been on all night. I turned my head, I looked at the flowing screen where two people sat behind a long desk, a picture of Kayden smiling was posted in the upper corner of the screen.

"In other news, the identity of Thursday night's horrific hit-and-run victim has been released after being positively identified as twenty four-year-old Kayden Masters, a student at Wyllix Community College. Police arrested this man, twenty seven-year-old Austen Krax early this morning. Krax has been charged with driving while intoxicated resulting in first degree manslaughter. Masters was due to graduate Wyllix Community College this spring and was on his way to meet his girlfriend, twenty two-year-old Anya Trilosky, who was the last person Masters had tried to contact."

The phone fell from numb hands, a new message glowed upon the screen:

I will search for you again, always. Please, be happy.
    Last edited by Koryuu; 01-06-2018 at 04:16 PM.
    "Forget the lingering darkness in your scars
    and pour so much light into everything you touch,
    the universe will have to create brighter stars
    once you're gone."
    -D. Antoinette Foy

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Koryuu For This Useful Post:

Risse (08-10-2016)

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I am fond of short stories..especially love stories no matter how heartbreaking the story or how happy it will be in the end... I might have said this as many times but I am a hopeless romantic... Zero experience at love but definitely a hopeless romantic....

I read this post when I was at work earlier today. I just started clicking at the most recent posts found in the home page until I came to this one.

As I opened this I thought "I'm sure this is heartbreaking" as the title speaks but I read it anyway... Poker face at work at all times is pretty difficult when you read random stuffs...it could by very funny or totally heartbreaking like this one.

As I was saying I read this in the office with a poker face... Didn't realize a tear fell from my eyes when I read the ending. </3
    and just when I felt something wet run down my cheeks I realized I was in the office..LOL... One colleague was looking at me weirdly.. Just imagine how embarrassed I was...

P.S. Remind me not to read short stories of yours like this in the office ~Risse

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Risse For This Useful Post:

Koryuu (08-10-2016)

OS Supporter
    Otaku Lvl
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

I'm glad you enjoyed my piece. The fact that it made you cry tells me that I did a good job writing it. I wonder though, did you pick up on the hints I left throughout the story? Most of my work tends to be sad, but not all of it.
    Also, I too have no experience.
    One other thing, you probably want to avoid reading my poem "My Beautiful Baby Girl" at work as well. ;)
    Last edited by Koryuu; 08-11-2016 at 05:06 PM.
    "Forget the lingering darkness in your scars
    and pour so much light into everything you touch,
    the universe will have to create brighter stars
    once you're gone."
    -D. Antoinette Foy

Otaku Lvl
    Thanks

So descriptive,even a kid like me could imagine the characters and the scene.
    Good plot.
    8/10

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Awesome XD For This Useful Post:

Koryuu (08-19-2016)