Capital Punishment (Death Penalty)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    牛のゴースト
    Otaku Lvl
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

Default Capital Punishment (Death Penalty)

It has been implemented in the 90's and early 2000's but it was suspended since 2006. The other countries, even those who are first and second world countries, are still implementing this type of punishment. With the rise of crime and criminals do you guys think it is effective if this law would be practiced again? If yes, in what form should it be (e.g. lethal injection, firing squad, etc.)?

To the mods, please feel free to delete the thread if it has not conformed to the standards. Thank you.

Edit by Kobowo:

Seeing as how the topic got the attention of members outside the country and how I am sure this topic will be a good topic to talk about by everyone, I changed the title to be for death penalty in general.

So I guess the better question now would be, are you for death penalty in your country? in the world as a whole? (if death penalty exists in your country) or if you want to abolish the penalty? (If you reside in a country where capital punishment exists) and why?

Otaku Lvl
    Thanks

Maybe i guess though PH has life imprisonment its not enough cause jail cells are getting crowded, this sound harsh but needs to reduce inmates by death penalties.

Lethal Injection seem humane.

OS Vampire

Upload
    1795 Video(s)
    Otaku Lvl
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,900 Times in 362 Posts
    Blog Entries

Capital punishment would definitely help with cleaning this country. Should Mayor Duterte win, he would want the death penalty returned. The problem is that the rest of the Philippines doesn't want it back. There may be some, and I repeat, some, politicians who believe that it is a matter of religion why we shouldn't kill a person. Sadly most of the politicians who don't support death penalty are those who partake in crimes that would lead them to their deaths if they were discovered.

That's the only reason why it's so hard for anyone to get the death penalty back. There's too much outbursts from the religious side of the country not to kill the person, while the other people who may be affected by the death penalty "rides" with them.
    Guys I'm a retired staff member, don't come to me for username changes anymore xD its funny having to reply to personal messages 3 months old HAHAHA

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kobowo For This Useful Post:

Augustus (02-22-2016), satsuirakuen (02-22-2016)

Planeswalker
    Otaku Lvl
    Thanks

I agree with Kobs. It outta be brought back. But I wonder if they'd implement it again~

6. The Following User Says Thank You to satsuirakuen For This Useful Post:

Augustus (02-22-2016)

Otaku Lvl
    Thanks

im up for the death penalty... crime in philippines is just too much... and if life imprisonment will be implemented for those criminals, well in 4-5 years expect the prisons cells and establishment becomes as awesome as a 5star hotel complete with hot springs, concert halls, and much much more... its like mini las vegas...

really now...

8. The Following User Says Thank You to ZetsuRavez For This Useful Post:

Augustus (02-22-2016)

Upload
    1270 Video(s)
    Otaku Lvl
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ZetsuRavez View Post
    well in 4-5 years expect the prisons cells and establishment becomes as awesome as a 5star hotel complete with hot springs, concert halls, and much much more... its like mini las vegas...
    This is so funny yet the possibility is quite high hahahaha.

To the topic, as long as religious group of people is part of the politics, don't count this coming back. The Philippines is a religious country to the point that religion plays a vital role in elections. In any case, I do agree on death penalty if it is limited to intended case and direct cause of losing a life of another person. If not for that, then no can do.

"The trick to running is to stay M-A-D. M for 'move ever forward'. A for 'always accelerate', and D for 'dash and don't stop'. If you don't follow those rules, you'll be doing the same thing tomorrow." - Owari no Chronicle

10. The Following User Says Thank You to mlcdl For This Useful Post:

ZetsuRavez (02-22-2016)

Below Average

Upload
    3109 Video(s)
    Otaku Lvl
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,330 Times in 253 Posts
    Blog Entries

I do hope they'd implement death penalty again in our country. As much as I hate to admit, bad (lol) people nowadays don't care if they'd end up in jail by harming other people. The crime rate increased immensely since the penalty of crimes here in Philippines is way lighter than in other countries.
    Last edited by Dudette09; 02-22-2016 at 09:22 AM. Reason: Religious part deleted~

Former Anime Overlord

Upload
    4290 Video(s)
    Otaku Lvl
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

Aw the atmosphere in here is so cold. Brr
    For the sake of opposing, I'll take the humanitarian point of view.

Consider one of these criminals on death row as your family member. How would you feel to lose the person you love? We must consider the circumstance too, of course they won't be put on death row for minor crimes, but what if it's a case of defence, retaliation or just a corrupt judicial system as Kobo stated. Having a death penalty when the system is flawed isn't good for anyone. Bribery would be rampant and innocent people are the one's who will pay, now with capital punishment - death!

The ending of a life might be easy to say, but think of the pain, the emotional pain and misery a person goes through in those final moments. I think of the trauma it leaves on the family members and their children, especially if there's a small child growing up never knowing his/her father. Suppose the person was in poverty, and tried to rob a bank, but in the moment of desperation killed some people, and so his situation escalated. That's how I see some of criminal acts being born, when people have no other option.

Kill for kill just leaves a cycle of violence, is that the example we want to set? Isn't prison life or life in prison a just enough punishment. Prison life by itself is a hell, the amount of torture persons have to go through just to endure it; verbal, physical and sexual abuse. I think a prison life is enough punishment.

There are other ways of deterring a rise in criminal activity, like neighbourhood watch, having a full and equipped staff of police/constable, having regular patrols of areas with a high crime rate, educate the people on and how to report these instances, etc.
    Last edited by error345; 02-22-2016 at 11:30 AM.

Dark Clouds in the sky With spells and witchcraft
    I'm chained below
    Kimi ni todoke // Lovely complex // Shiki // Ghost Hunt ..

13. The Following User Says Thank You to error345 For This Useful Post:

CloverLeaf (02-22-2016)

Banned

Upload
    1376 Video(s)
    Otaku Lvl
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 144 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by error345 View Post

Consider one of these criminals on death row as your family member. How would you feel to lose the person you love? We must consider the circumstance too, of course they won't be put on death row for minor crimes, but what if it's a case of defence, retaliation or just a corrupt judicial system as Kobo stated. Having a death penalty when the system is flawed isn't good for anyone. Bribery would be rampant and innocent people are the one's who will pay, now with capital punishment - death!

The ending of a life might be easy to say, but think of the pain, the emotional pain and misery a person goes through in those final moments. I think of the trauma it leaves on the family members and their children, especially if there's a small child growing up never knowing his/her father. Suppose the person was in poverty, and tried to rob a bank, but in the moment of desperation killed some people, and so his situation escalated. That's how I see some of criminal acts being born, when people have no other option.

Kill for kill just leaves a cycle of violence, is that the example we want to set? Isn't prison life or life in prison a just enough punishment. Prison life by itself is a hell, the amount of torture persons have to go through just to endure it; verbal, physical and sexual abuse. I think a prison life is enough punishment.

There are other ways of deterring a rise in criminal activity, like neighbourhood watch, having a full and equipped staff of police/constable, having regular patrols of areas with a high crime rate, educate the people on and how to report these instances, etc.

Exactly. For me, death is not a punishment. It's actually a liberation from pain and suffering. If you really want a person to face the consequences for what he/she did, life imprisonment is a better option. Or better yet, create another type of punishment where a prisoner "enjoys" lesser "privileges" than a regular prisoner who committed a less heinous crime.

The pain of death is felt by the people who cares for the criminal, not the criminal him/herself.

Here's an idea. Instead of killing rapists, how about castrating them and throwing them in prison?
    Last edited by CloverLeaf; 02-22-2016 at 01:39 PM.

Otaku Lvl
    Thanks

well its true... we don't want to use death sentence to criminal, specially the minor and the once that still not judged and stuff...
    to me, i honestly don't want to have death penalty... but, the problem is that criminals are getting worse... and, not to mention, criminals in jail become somewhat graduate from HRM college... they literally made the jail into a freakin 5star hotel...

well, what i want is to use the death penalty to those criminals that has the worst crime yet... let say, the mastermind of a certain massacre... or the leader of a group that is responsible for the gun for hire and drug manufacturing/selling... and also, terrorist...

that's my opinions... but like i said, to tell the truth, i don't want to have death penalty...but we don't have punishment similar to the dead penalty... well, unless if its ok to us the deadman wonderland idea... im ok with that^^
    Last edited by ZetsuRavez; 02-22-2016 at 02:11 PM. Reason: minor edit... ok fine, spelling...

牛のゴースト
    Otaku Lvl
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CloverLeaf View Post

The pain of death is felt by the people who cares for the criminal, not the criminal him/herself.

Here's an idea. Instead of killing rapists, how about castrating them and throwing them in prison?
    Good point. It's like an eye for an eye punishment. If one did not commit murder then one does not deserve death as well. Our future leader must then think of other punishment aside from mere imprisonment because, well, prison cells nowadays has become a den of drug lords and even worse cases of murder and rape.

Quote Originally Posted by Kobowo View Post
    Should Mayor Duterte win, he would want the death penalty returned.
    It is also good to point out that Mayor Duterte does not immediately kill criminals. There's due process and he gives multiple chances to convicts to change their lives for the better. But if they really don't want to change their twisted ways, then his iron hand comes in.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Knipyoko For This Useful Post:

Kobowo (02-23-2016)

Anime Revolutionist
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

Exactly. For me, death is not a punishment. It's actually a liberation from pain and suffering. If you really want a person to face the consequences for what he/she did, life imprisonment is a better option. Or better yet, create another type of punishment where a prisoner "enjoys" lesser "privileges" than a regular prisoner who committed a less heinous crime.

Interesting how opinions can differ; I take the exact opposite stance on this.

The main example I'd use is Batman. His beliefs were to lock criminals away without executing them in Arkham Asylum. Which they broke out of time and time again, and killed thousands more innocent people because they were allowed to "suffer" or "be given a second chance" instead of being killed outright. While some criminals do have a change of heart in the end, there are some crimes that there is no forgiveness for, such as taking another's life.

While it's true that the families of criminals suffer when execution occurs, who's really at fault for that? Me or you? It's the same case as when a man who admittedly makes minimum wage and has poor credit history marries and has two children with his wife, then demands that the government increase the minimum wage because he can't provide for his family!

In reality, he knew up front that he couldn't afford a family, and deliberately put himself in a financial situation he knew he couldn't sustain, but did it anyway, and now he expects me (as a taxpayer and someone who spent thousands of dollars to get a college degree and invest in my future when he didn't) to help bear his financial burden. Criminals deliberately put the people in their life they hold dear on the altar of sacrifice as a result of what they've done, and everyone suffers in some way as a result. But is it my fault that he's dead and now his family must pay the price? At the end of the day, I'd say "no". Justice was done.

Great thread; I find it really interesting to see how everyone feels on this topic.

Former Anime Overlord

Upload
    4290 Video(s)
    Otaku Lvl
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LastVanguard View Post
    Interesting how opinions can differ; I take the exact opposite stance on this.

The main example I'd use is Batman. His beliefs were to lock criminals away without executing them in Arkham Asylum. Which they broke out of time and time again, and killed thousands more innocent people because they were allowed to "suffer" or "be given a second chance" instead of being killed outright. While some criminals do have a change of heart in the end, there are some crimes that there is no forgiveness for, such as taking another's life.

While it's true that the families of criminals suffer when execution occurs, who's really at fault for that? Me or you? It's the same case as when a man who admittedly makes minimum wage and has poor credit history marries and has two children with his wife, then demands that the government increase the minimum wage because he can't provide for his family!

In reality, he knew up front that he couldn't afford a family, and deliberately put himself in a financial situation he knew he couldn't sustain, but did it anyway, and now he expects me (as a taxpayer and someone who spent thousands of dollars to get a college degree and invest in my future when he didn't) to help bear his financial burden. Criminals deliberately put the people in their life they hold dear on the altar of sacrifice as a result of what they've done, and everyone suffers in some way as a result. But is it my fault that he's dead and now his family must pay the price? At the end of the day, I'd say "no". Justice was done.

Great thread; I find it really interesting to see how everyone feels on this topic.
    Basically you are saying a man (with a spouse + 2 children) in a terrible situation to provide for his family commits an act for money, resulting in the death of others should be put to death? You prefer death row over prison life because they'll escape over and over, committing the act again and again?
    People don't escape this often nor kill thousands of people, that's only in cartoons as is the example. If there was a criminal to kill thousands of innocent people sure a capital punishment would be justifiable. There are already fail safe in place to prevent people from escaping in prison, and solitary confinement for unruly members.

The prison system was built to keep people inside, those that escape either had an accomplice or guard (corrupt system), underfunded or overcrowded. I'm not saying we should fund prisons for overcrowding, but create a system in the first place to prevent crime as a whole. -reference to my first post, last point. But as it is with politics, politicians are all about public appearance. So slap on the death penalty and everyone will be scared out of committing crime, rather than acting at the source of the problem and preventing it from the start. The fault in the first place would be the national security is weak, unable to protect the people. The politicians should strengthen that before anything else.

An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind. It's better to have leaders that are diplomat of peace rather than destruction. If it can be resolved without blood shed, it should.

I'm chained below

Anime Revolutionist
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

Basically you are saying a man (with a spouse + 2 children) in a terrible situation to provide for his family commits an act for money, resulting in the death of others should be put to death? You prefer death row over prison life because they'll escape over and over, committing the act again and again?
    I was using an extreme example to try and prove a more mellow point, and now I realize that I sound pretty cold. I was merely trying to demonstrate that letting people suffer for what they've done in prison can be a double-edged sword.

牛のゴースト
    Otaku Lvl
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

People don't escape this often nor kill thousands of people, that's only in cartoons as is the example. If there was a criminal to kill thousands of innocent people sure a capital punishment would be justifiable. There are already fail safe in place to prevent people from escaping in prison, and solitary confinement for unruly members.

The prison system was built to keep people inside, those that escape either had an accomplice or guard (corrupt system), underfunded or overcrowded. I'm not saying we should fund prisons for overcrowding, but create a system in the first place to prevent crime as a whole. -reference to my first post, last point. But as it is with politics, politicians are all about public appearance. So slap on the death penalty and everyone will be scared out of committing crime, rather than acting at the source of the problem and preventing it from the start. The fault in the first place would be the national security is weak, unable to protect the people. The politicians should strengthen that before anything else.

An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind. It's better to have leaders that are diplomat of peace rather than destruction. If it can be resolved without blood shed, it should.
    I think what LastVanguard was trying to point is, why do something that could harm your family/or why would you commit a crime if you don't want yourself and your family get hurt/punished? It's not like you'll have death penalty when you steal a loaf of bread for your family. XD Let's keep in mind that the thread is about the Philippines. Though it's not everyday, we still often hear news of people being killed because rebels wanted attention, especially in Mindanao. Rise of illegal drug in the area too is really threatening. Imprisoning these criminals doesn't change anything because they have proven to be using these drugs even inside the confines of their prison cells. How many lives have been destroyed because of this one drug lord who illegal sells drugs?

In a country where even Politicians are criminals, there must be a leader that would stand and make a difference (it may or may not involve death). It's funny how it sounds like, "We'll definitely get peace, even if it means war."

Former Anime Overlord

Upload
    4290 Video(s)
    Otaku Lvl
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Knipyoko View Post
    I think what LastVanguard was trying to point is, why do something that could harm your family/or why would you commit a crime if you don't want yourself and your family get hurt/punished? It's not like you'll have death penalty when you steal a loaf of bread for your family. XD Let's keep in mind that the thread is about the Philippines. Though it's not everyday, we still often hear news of people being killed because rebels wanted attention, especially in Mindanao. Rise of illegal drug in the area too is really threatening. Imprisoning these criminals doesn't change anything because they have proven to be using these drugs even inside the confines of their prison cells. How many lives have been destroyed because of this one drug lord who illegal sells drugs?

In a country where even Politicians are criminals, there must be a leader that would stand and make a difference (it may or may not involve death). It's funny how it sounds like, "We'll definitely get peace, even if it means war."
    Hi Sc.. Lol. Great thread btw :)

On topic ::
    That's where our view point are different as I am opposing the Capital Punishment for serious crimes. I've given my thoughts on an alternate pathway to death sentence and solutions to reduce crime rate already. That's all for now.

I'm chained below

OS Vampire

Upload
    1795 Video(s)
    Otaku Lvl
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,900 Times in 362 Posts
    Blog Entries

I think the reason why some of us from Ph want to have death penalty reinstated is not because we want to punish everyone who breaks the law severely. Some people here probably deserve the death penalty but more often than not, they don't deserve it. But I think having capital punishment within the constitution gives enough reason for people who wish to do crime to think twice about it.

Recently, the police have been going through one of our security prisons, confiscating items that are supposed to be illegal inside a prison (They call it "Oplan Galugad" if im not mistaken). You'd be surprised what they find...cellphones, Xbox, Playstations, LED TVs, even a swimming pool .___. (i was srsly wtf-ing when I heard that they even discovered make-shift swimming pool inside a maximum security prison). So the people whom we condemned to life sentence live even better lives than some of us outside in the free world.

If capital punishment were reinstated here, I think the number of ramant crimes would decrease a lot. The only problem here is that there are too many enemies. Corrupt officials, the church, and those religious folk who believe with conviction that death can never be a punishment.

I actually agree that killing them is more like liberation than an actual punishment. It's actually more of a punishment to the people close to him to be honest. But I think, just as Vanguard pointed out, that it would be better to prevent more crimes from the said person than letting him/her have the chance to do it again.
    Guys I'm a retired staff member, don't come to me for username changes anymore xD its funny having to reply to personal messages 3 months old HAHAHA

OS Supporter
    Otaku Lvl
    Thanks

in America, only a few states still do the capital punishment, i think it would be good practice to reinstate it, only if the person is guilty of a heinous crime beyond the shadow of a doubt, then capital punishment would be best. At present time all we are doing is leaving them to decay in our prisons which are already overflowing, that costs tax payer money to provide for all those inmates. Also the prisoners who are marked for "death row" are still waiting for on average 20 or 30 years before the capital punishment is carried out.

Observer of the worlds
    Otaku Lvl
    Thanks

sure i wouldn't mind having death penalty for the most severe cases but atleast now they should start by giving way longer sentences than 2.5 year if ye rape someone or 2 years if you're pedo who used child. Killing someone gives around 4-7 years i guess (not too many cases in news about killing so dont know precis time). And ofc there these sentence reducing factor like "1st timer" and release earlier cos good behavior (most times you see for example someone that should sit 2 years get out in 7 months).

Edit: forgot to mention that current avarege "lifetime" sentence 15 years lel

Planeswalker
    Otaku Lvl
    Thanks

Well, as far as I know, Philippines need some form of crime deterrent and reinstating capital punishment really sounds good right now. If the government here have better ideas, then l am all ears. Right now, I've yet to see or hear progress in apprehending or reducing the crime rate in this country. Of course, such things take time, as with most plans but then again, the government hasn't delivered for the past few years.