Rules of this section
    Banned

Upload
    1376 Video(s)
    Otaku Lvl
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,519 Times in 144 Posts

Default Rules of this section

Please take note that this new forum section is experimental. Listed below are the rules that you should follow in this section. If things go out of hand, we may decide to discontinue this “taste of freedom”. We thought it would be nice to see intelligent and constructive conversations in the forums, that’s why we’re trying this out.

1.) This is a section where you can discuss constructive topics about politics and social justice. This includes, but not limited to: elections (i.e. candidates, platforms, predictions, etc.), political views (i.e. conservatism, liberalism, etc.), government laws and policies (i.e. gun laws, same-sex marriage, etc.), and social issues (i.e. racism, inequity, etc.).

2.) Remain civilized and be respectful to everyone’s opinion. Being in an online forum using a fancy username doesn’t give you the license to be a prick and disparage someone who holds a different opinion than you.

3.) Free speech has its limits, at least in this forum section. We won’t allow hate threads/posts.

4.) If you have nothing intellectual or constructive to contribute to the discussion, you are discouraged to post. However, you are free to read posts, gain knowledge, and know other people’s perspective. This is one of the reasons why this forum section is created – to educate and spread awareness.

5.) What happens in this section, stays in this section. Do not link this thread in the other forum sections, SB, or CB. However, you are welcome to discuss stuff in here outside OS or through PM.

6.) We reserve the right to delete threads/posts that do not conform to our standards. Rest assured that we will not be biased in doing so, irrespective of our own personal views.
    Last edited by CloverLeaf; 02-21-2016 at 08:08 AM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CloverLeaf For This Useful Post:

Augustus (02-21-2016), SereiMadoshi (03-25-2016)

Banned
    Otaku Lvl
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

Very good rules for this awesome new section!

I just have a question regarding Rule #3:

Quote Originally Posted by CloverLeaf View Post
    3.) Free speech has its limits, at least in this forum section. We won’t allow hate threads/posts.
    What is the definition of a "hate" thread? What about a constructive and non-hateful thread questioning the morality of gay marriage, miscegenation, feminism, immigration or some religions?

This to me is an important question because some people from the left seem to think that just being against those things is the same as hate, no matter how well supported your arguments are. This view has also infiltrated American and other Western educational institutions in the form of a so-called "safe space" policy.

I just want to know if this politics section will just be open for cultural marxist ("progressive"/"liberal") views or also for conservatives like myself?

Edit: Yes, I've read rule #1 but the vagueness of #3 needs *some* clarification as to when something is a hate thread, or maybe use a different word altogether.
    Last edited by Augustus; 02-21-2016 at 05:46 PM.

OS Supporter
    Otaku Lvl
    Thanks

i think this will be a good place for members to share their views on world topics, as long as no one abuses their authority and goes overboard, can't wait to see how it turns out.

Banned

Upload
    1376 Video(s)
    Otaku Lvl
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Augustus View Post
    Very good rules for this awesome new section!

I just have a question regarding Rule #3:

What is the definition of a "hate" thread? What about a constructive and non-hateful thread questioning the morality of gay marriage, miscegenation, feminism, immigration or some religions?

This to me is an important question because some people from the left seem to think that just being against those things is the same as hate, no matter how well supported your arguments are. This view has also infiltrated American and other Western educational institutions in the form of a so-called "safe space" policy.

I just want to know if this politics section will just be open for cultural marxist ("progressive"/"liberal") views or also for conservatives like myself?
    Edit: Yes, I've read rule #1 but the vagueness of #3 needs *some* clarification as to when something is a hate thread, or maybe use a different word altogether.

I know what you mean. Personally, I find political correctness ridiculous in some instances. However, I believe that some of the topics that you have mentioned can be introduced and discussed in a civilized and non-hateful way. For example, we will not tolerate name-calling and derogatory remarks to women (and men as well) in discussing feminism. My advice would be to make your posts as less provocative as possible, while still expressing your thoughts completely. We will be monitoring this forum section closely to ensure the civility in the discussions.

Gay marriage -- okay. Feminism -- okay. Immigration -- okay.
    Miscegenation? I know you're a white supremacist, but I will allow it, closely monitor it, and see where it goes.

We actually have mixed opinions about allowing the discussion of religion. It's really hard to discuss it without things getting sour eventually. For example, we will not allow threads criticizing Islam, Judaism, or any other religion. However, you are allowed to mention your religion in the discussion as supporting arguments when discussing stuff that involves morality.

I know that you will love this new section, but I am warning you. If things will go out of hand and we think that you are responsible for it, we will (1) shut down this section, or (2) restrict your access to the section or the whole site, or both (1) and (2).

6. The Following User Says Thank You to CloverLeaf For This Useful Post:

Augustus (02-21-2016)

Banned
    Otaku Lvl
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

I know what you mean. Personally, I find political correctness ridiculous in some instances. However, I believe that some of the topics that you have mentioned can be introduced and discussed in a civilized and non-hateful way. For example, we will not tolerate name-calling and derogatory remarks to women (and men as well) in discussing feminism. My advice would be to make your posts as less provocative as possible, while still expressing your thoughts completely. We will be monitoring this forum section closely to ensure the civility in the discussions.

Gay marriage -- okay. Feminism -- okay. Immigration -- okay.
    Miscegenation? I know you're a white supremacist, but I will allow it, closely monitor it, and see where it goes.

We actually have mixed opinions about allowing the discussion of religion. It's really hard to discuss it without things getting sour eventually. For example, we will not allow threads criticizing Islam, Judaism, or any other religion. However, you are allowed to mention your religion in the discussion as supporting arguments when discussing stuff that involves morality.

I know that you will love this new section, but I am warning you. If things will go out of hand and we think that you are responsible for it, we will (1) shut down this section, or (2) restrict your access to the section or the whole site, or both (1) and (2).
    I just used criticism of religion as an example of a controversial thread, but I understand that this is for political discussion.

And I thank you for your reply, it fully answered my question. I will comply with the rules of this section and I think that petty name calling and slurs have no place in a serious debate.

Oh and I did have one theological topic that I wanted to see if I could post here. It's nothing polemical or specific to any one religion. I wanted to make a thread discussing the existence of God through deductive reasoning (cosmological argument, ontological argument, etc). Would such a thread be permitted here?

Banned

Upload
    1376 Video(s)
    Otaku Lvl
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Augustus View Post
    I just used criticism of religion as an example of a controversial thread, but I understand that this is for political discussion.

And I thank you for your reply, it fully answered my question. I will comply with the rules of this section and I think that petty name calling and slurs have no place in a serious debate.

Oh and I did have one theological topic that I wanted to see if I could post here. It's nothing polemical or specific to any one religion. I wanted to make a thread discussing the existence of God through deductive reasoning (cosmological argument, ontological argument, etc). Would such a thread be permitted here?
    'fraid not. I'm sorry. Theology and/or religion may be very central to one's life and identity. Even topics like the existence (or nonexistence) of a God may be offensive for some people. Though I acknowledge that it is an important and enlightening topic, out of respect, I cannot allow it.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to CloverLeaf For This Useful Post:

Augustus (02-22-2016)

Anime Revolutionist
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

'fraid not. I'm sorry. Theology and/or religion may be very central to one's life and identity. Even topics like the existence (or nonexistence) of a God may be offensive for some people. Though I acknowledge that it is an important and enlightening topic, out of respect, I cannot allow it.
    That being said, it'd be an awesome conversation to have on Skype/Line with a group of people sometime. Or, even better, over a few beers in person.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LastVanguard For This Useful Post:

Augustus (02-22-2016), CloverLeaf (02-22-2016)

Banned

Upload
    1376 Video(s)
    Otaku Lvl
    Thanks

I also would like to add that you can mention explanations which relate to religion when talking about laws and policies -- the issue about the separation of the church and the state, in particular.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to CloverLeaf For This Useful Post:

Augustus (02-22-2016)