Quality of anime decreasing?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    He Who Must Not Be Named FAT4LS's Avatar
    Otaku Lvl
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

Question Quality of anime decreasing?

i dont know if its true... but this "new anime" i have seen this year... is really good but..there are all about a minute and a half long per episode..it's really that short and even though they were adaptations of pre-existing Manga???..anyway, i would like it if they did follow the manga.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to FAT4LS For This Useful Post:

Banned
    Otaku Lvl
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

I guess the creators are running out of ideas. The cool stuff has already been done, a notebook that can be used to kill people, someone with power to order around anyone, magic balls that grant wishes, etc. :P

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Augustus For This Useful Post:

Otaku Lvl
    Thanks

If you have seen too much animes, you'll kinda noticed of the overlapping ideas and creativity and in a way you might feel the decrease in quality

Otaku Lvl
    Thanks

It'ss really not a matter of running out of ideas. There are loads of really good manga/novels/games out there waiting to be animated. The problem with the industry is that the large majority of companies aren't in an excess of money therefore when they chose to animate a series they usually go for the ones that appeal for a larger audience (boys aged 10-16) thus limiting the type of material they can use. The same reason is why the large majority of animes released lately are the ones that follow clicheéd stories with the same character archetypes and little to no real impact to them. These sort of series are garantied to sell decently as it always did, even if there is no real story or the whole thing has been done dozens of times already fan service can make up to it because the large majority of the audience is a sucker for that. It is really unfortunate because I really don't enjoy ecchi and fanservice if its implemented at a cost of the story but apparently this is what sells well.

But even with all the ecchi, slice of life animes with no story and other overrated animes like SAO or Attack on the Titan, there are still gems every now and then and it is really worth waiting for those :).

Disclaimer: Don't take this as a personal offense if you happen to only watch animes I mentioned here or have a life size Asuna poster/pillow in your room. Everyone is different and likes different sort of things, this is just my personal opinion.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hexxike For This Useful Post:

Jin H (10-04-2015), Melyk (09-06-2015)

Otaku Lvl
    Thanks

Hmmm..I can agree I guess. Anime now more focus on moe, fanservice and not about the story most of time. I find hard time to get new anime without moe character or fanservice..>3>

"Yo, come say that again.....I DARE YOU."

Otaku Lvl
    Thanks

Everything tend to decrease with age. Just consider art and music.

Banned
    Otaku Lvl
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

I guess the best ideas have already been used up. It could be that I'm just not good at finding good new titles.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Augustus For This Useful Post:

Inquisitor (11-07-2015)

♥Panda Princess♥

Upload
    242 Video(s)
    Otaku Lvl
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

I dunno. Some of them are still actually pretty good.
    Procrastinator by day. Insomiac by night ♥

OS Veteran

Upload
    119 Video(s)
    Otaku Lvl
    Thanks

The thing is that sadly the new ideas aren't well received either be by the producer or the viewers. Sadly Ladies and gents they make an anime with the hope to recollect some "X" amount of money to see if its profitable to make it and since the new "ideas aren't being well received we are being stuck with almost overused ideas of anime over and over and over. In some cases where they do have a great anime with an original plot and idea suddenly said anime doesn't get renewed for a new Season leaving us hopeless

OS Supporter
    Otaku Lvl
    Thanks

I can agree with some people here.

There are plenty of anime already released that are great. I follow some new anime from time to time, but what I actually do is I binge on older anime (classics or not) that I know or heard it will be good. I can give you a piece of advice: Try to follow everything going out on the next season, and go on MAL or AnimeNewsNetwork to see critics on those said anime. You can after that begin to see what will be good and what won't be good.

OS Citizen
    Otaku Lvl
    Thanks

Maybe it's not the quality of anime that has decreased, but the quantity of anime that has increased? If the quantity increases, there are bound to be more low-quality anime around too. But I think there are still some pretty good anime being released out there once in a while.

OS Citizen
    Otaku Lvl
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hexxike View Post
    It'ss really not a matter of running out of ideas. There are loads of really good manga/novels/games out there waiting to be animated. The problem with the industry is that the large majority of companies aren't in an excess of money therefore when they chose to animate a series they usually go for the ones that appeal for a larger audience (boys aged 10-16) thus limiting the type of material they can use. The same reason is why the large majority of animes released lately are the ones that follow clicheéd stories with the same character archetypes and little to no real impact to them. These sort of series are garantied to sell decently as it always did, even if there is no real story or the whole thing has been done dozens of times already fan service can make up to it because the large majority of the audience is a sucker for that. It is really unfortunate because I really don't enjoy ecchi and fanservice if its implemented at a cost of the story but apparently this is what sells well.

But even with all the ecchi, slice of life animes with no story and other overrated animes like SAO or Attack on the Titan, there are still gems every now and then and it is really worth waiting for those :).

Disclaimer: Don't take this as a personal offense if you happen to only watch animes I mentioned here or have a life size Asuna poster/pillow in your room. Everyone is different and likes different sort of things, this is just my personal opinion.
    That was fairly well said. Other than the business/market statements, I would add though that lectures have even been given in Japan by Japanese males warning about all the male-supremacy, **** and misogyny within the industry (and how it is slowly destroying the industry as a whole). While you may enjoy those things, there is a well made point that those males who would be fine with the destruction of the industry rather than have a strong female character in a series, or part with their monthly Comic LO, for example, are what we need to remove from the industry in order to save it.

Gao~ :3
    Upload
    1 Video(s)
    Otaku Lvl
    Thanks

Over the past 15 years, I have seen only one to two great animes a season. There were times like Fall of 06 where there were multiple series like Code Geass, Death Note, and Red Garden. Or Spring of 2012, with Hyouka, Fate/Zero, Sengoku, Sankarea, etc. So I think the quality of animation, in regards to story/appeal is just a big game of hit-or-miss.

Quality as in animation. Where production is concerned, the faster you can get an animation out, the more you can make. The more hours you put in to an animation the more it's going to cost the producer. So a trend I am seeing is more stock back frames, and less actual detailed movements.

But that is just me.

Thanks

Well, I mean... Its true that now its more difficult to find one that actually has a NICE story. But there still are a few out there... nothing like the good classics though.

OS Benefactor
    Thanks

Soooo, I think there's some really good recent anime's. There's just more companies making them than there used to be, so there's going to be more inferior ones.
    Soooo

Otaku Lvl
    Thanks

I hate that animes tend to have 12 episodes per season unlike before which is longer and complete in a way, it sucks that you either have to wait for another season or you end up reading the manga :(

Former Anime Overlord

Upload
    4290 Video(s)
    Otaku Lvl
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quality of anime hm
    Every season has anime that are short, being 2 mins or 3 mins or so on. But they don't always get subbed and remain lost as raw or they don't get uploaded because they are too short. So this may be why we're seeing short anime more now.
    For me all anime are basically the same within it's sub-genre, high school carries the same, superpowers, harem ecchi, etc. We just gotta find what we like.
    And anime are being made to 1080p or some fangroups carry 450mb and up episodes for HD streaming, 10 bit, when these are converted to otaku-streamers 288p or 384p at 300 - 400 video bitrate we lose much quality as well.

Dark Clouds in the sky With spells and witchcraft
    I'm chained below
    Kimi ni todoke // Lovely complex // Shiki // Ghost Hunt ..

Otaku Lvl
    Thanks

im an anime fan since 2003 till now and it is true that anime is losing its plot and story quality the reason for that is not just because of the lack of new and creative ideas but more on the business side of it. publishers and animation studios this days are more into the safer side of their business they prefer to create projects that they know it will "SELL" by using almost the same idea and materials on other successful series instead of risking their tight budget on new and creative ideas, this is the reason why most series that came out today is just in the scale of 12-26 episodes because if the project is unsuccessful its easy to dump the project without losing much of their resources

Otaku Lvl
    Thanks

I just wish they do less of fan service though and develope the plot more...
    I hate it when there are a lot of holes...

Otaku Lvl
    Thanks

i know what you mean. i can finish the series in less then 30 minutes if i am not busy. it nice when i have a very busy day but i don't really like it very much