What is the appeal of harem type anime to you?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Os CPU

Upload
    294 Video(s)
    Otaku Lvl
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

I hate love harems They always pick the girl I don't like ugh..

牛のゴースト
    Otaku Lvl
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

I'd prefer reverse harem too. I find it fun and appealing because, well, girl gets surrounded by hot guys. But lately reverse harem are too much like there's too much boys and one girl.

OS Citizen
    Otaku Lvl
    Thanks

No appeal whatsoever. I'll watch it if the story is good but the fact that it's harem or not does not factor in the equation for me. Except when it's like ecchi harem. Then I most likely will not watch it.

Gao~ :3
    Upload
    1 Video(s)
    Otaku Lvl
    Thanks

The only harem I enjoyed a little bit was Kami nomi zo Shiru Sekai.
    Nothing else really appealed to me.

OS Citizen
    Otaku Lvl
    Thanks

"it's really made me wonder why the harem setup is so popular"

Unfortunately the same reasons most of those type of things have popularity.

"And if you hate the inclusion of harems in anime, what reasons do you have?"

Where to start? Try to write an actual plot / story maybe. Using an industry 'checklist' targeted towards bottom-feeders is beyond lazy. Although many do this for easy money, some who do not even care for/about the industry. Being an otaku does not mean being someone who consumes the same old cookie-cutter assembly line garbage slapped in front of them time after time. I could go on about things relating to females as human beings instead of things, but I wont waste my time.

The few so-called 'reverse-harem' are not the same. The average girl remains average amongst the perfect males. Much like yaoi series and even shows like 'free', the element of male-supremacy and male-worship is still there. Males being worshiped are not being objectified, they cannot be. Females are always objectified. A mere glance at the industry confirms this to even the blind. That's just the way it is.

"to me, harem anime have the central alpha male surrounded by at least three female characters"

Plenty of those series have no "alpha" but instead the average, mediocrity / below-average, pathetic male surrounded by amazing, brilliant, fun, athletic, cute, pretty, beautiful, perfect females, even goddesses, queens, etc. All of whom want to devote their existence to... him. (****** logic) and so immediately, the joke is on the women, you have automatic male supremacy and male domination and it goes on. That's the easiest story to write and the oldest. No matter how amazing a female is she is only a woman and therefore even a below average male is superior to her. The females relate to each other as competition for the worthless male as opposed to being friends or lovers themselves, etc. Anyway, that's enough.

One could write a book about whats wrong with the industry and most Japanese males starting with that topic.

Thanks

Not really a fan of harem. I prefer reverse harem though.

Otaku Lvl
    Thanks

i Actually like it, lot of girls to choose from, each with different personality and style. Only in anime, at least for me

Thanks

I really despise harem :v . All girls there are getting rejected one by one like a sniper taking out enemies one by one and it kinda hurts me :v

"Okay, and that's the end. For an ugly guy like me, a love story won't just start out of somewhere. This is reality"
    ~Motoyama

Kuroyukihime
    Otaku Lvl
    Thanks

I think the appeal of big oppai is called harem highschool dxd is one of them, to be honest I don't mind the harem part but I enjoy the original part of battle parts because I read most of the highschool dxd light novel series and a good story indeed it's not a regular harem because of a lot of oppai but because I enjoy the story itself something more imaginative and fun for me

Thanks

Harems are basically fanservice fun many girls to date all based on the ideal type people are interested in.