Do high grades measure your intelligence?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Watashitachi ga nemurimas areko's Avatar
    Otaku Lvl
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

Default Do high grades measure your intelligence?

Its an achievement to receive high grades, though some people tend to say grades are not the basis to tell how intellectually good you are.

i personally think grades are just numbers that we get through the efforts we insert on it though by intellectual means people are all smart, there are just things that they don't do when some of them do not earn good grades..

what do you think?
    "When I said that I cleaned my room, I just meant I made a path from the doorway to my bed."
    わたし のー やくそく する わ
    ゑあ ゑあ が みる を そー が じうぶん な

Otaku Lvl
    Thanks

Supposedly it's True that all people are Wise but many of Us cant express it cause we're afraid to failed when we start to do those things.. And For those who Success they we're the awsome person (example) Anime Author: They Express their True Feeling How to make The Story on their Anime...

That's The way I Think haha i cant Express my Own decisions Though Cause it's Hard to say it with just Word's :P

Sleepy Web Developer
    Otaku Lvl
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

I was a Valedictorian in my school & received the highest grade level. This was not always the case, however. I struggled a whole lot in school before that, which caused some family problems & great stress on me. Then, I met a really wonderful teacher in 8th who was patient with me & sat down with me to help me. This was something a teacher or a parent never had for me - patience.

Because of that teacher patience, I finished all of my comprehensive problems in subjects such as math, literature, & history. I even fell in love with the work because of it & started finishing my school books on my own time. I finished 3 of these assigned books spanning about 2,000 pages long before I even finished the 1st semester during 8th. Students used to be jealous of that because I didn't have to even be in class unless there was a test/quiz/examination.

During those times I didn't have to be in class, I would help out a nearby preschool & teach the children along with the main teacher, help prepare their foods, medically treat their wounds, draw/design stuff etc. That was the best year ever for me. Because of that, my hobbies today just happen to be what I learned that year - cooking, political history, economics, & taking care of kids whenever I'm asked. c:

And I now run a company related to designing things.

That teacher believed in me, which helped me achieve that goal. But I didn't feel any different. Sure, the high grades were clearly there on paper, but the most precious thing to me wasn't that paper. It was what the teacher did for me & the joys of helping those children. Since then, I always had high grades until graduation.

No matter what a paper says about you, I think the most important thing is to find an academic activity that you love, figure out how to use it to help others in society, & figure out a way to make it a reality.

If you can manage to get that far, people will see that you're more valuable that what a piece of paper says about you.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to 1stKaiser For This Useful Post:

Nestea (02-21-2014)

Otaku Lvl
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

No. People excel in different things that is far to diverse and broad that the subjects in schools cannot comprehend or measure the amount of intelligence an individual posses. Albert Einstein, said it himself. He did not excel in school.

Steve Jobs droped out from College because he thinks it's Pointless to learn something that you won't need in life. Not all can be taught at school.

Remember, a book may taught you how to walk, run and even jump. But the best teacher in life is experience. I for one think that the only way to measure an individual's intelligence is to let him live, look at how he views the miracle and life, how he cherish it and how he plans to live it. for an intelligent man knows that to be able to live Happily is simply, to be happy.

The most intellectual/intelligent person on planet earth for me is the one that thinks
    "Life is not about how many breaths you take, but it's the Moments that take you breath away". Because at the end of every Quiz, Exams and Tests. We will all die, I just hope you'll happy on how your living your life today. :)

Chase your dreams better yet, Stab it with a spear!

marshmello's
    Otaku Lvl
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

Exactly as you say. They are just numbers, though they also represent the effort you gave, also how much you worked hard for your goal. Maybe for some people, it's shows how intelligent you are but for me, it is about the effort you put in it, it shows how much you want it and how much you want to be successful in life.

Otaku Lvl
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

I think people that get good grades just dedicate their efforts into it more than others.

& there's some pretty dumb people with college degrees and also very intelligent people without them.

OS Anthropologist

Otaku Lvl
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

Standards for many schools vary, both depending on the level of education and where you go. However, I do not think the grades are results of intelligence as much as they are results of ethic and effort. Many times, it requires motivation and effort to put in the effort of keeping up with assignments, tests, projects, etc in order to keep your grades up, but the grade cannot express the student's behavior and performance in the classroom setting --and these days classroom performance often extends to online classes.

Although, classroom intelligence and innate intelligence, in a way, share hands in that it takes a certain level of thinking in order to comprehend the subject enough to get an A on the assignment, and thus an A on the tests and projects and so on. The classroom is merely an exercise for young people growing up in the sense that the teacher helps you to build new thought processes that sharpen your mind. It is so that the students will learn these basic thought processes in math, language arts, science, and other subjects that they can go on to think more critically, and therefore efficiently.

In many other cases the education helps some people learn to think more structurally rather than quickly, and that is equally efficient. Many students have different paces at which they learn and that should never take away from their intelligence.

So in the debate of grades vs real intelligence, I would say that both are different in nature but they are different faces of the same concept in humanity in that they have much to do with one person's education. I guess in that sense, the concept of education is a multi-faceted thing, sort of like a gem.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Nestea For This Useful Post:

Shintendochi (02-21-2014)

Planeswalker
    Otaku Lvl
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hidano aria View Post
    Its an achievement to receive high grades, though some people tend to say grades are not the basis to tell how intellectually good you are.

i personally think grades are just numbers that we get through the efforts we insert on it though by intellectual means people are all smart, there are just things that they don't do when some of them do not earn good grades..

what do you think?
    I agree with your statement Alex and anyone who thinks otherwise is but a fool waiting to stumble and die in real life. As far as I am concern, a person's A+ nor 90s in their card won't make them rich. Sure, it may get them a job, but it won't help them survive the harsh and cruel world out there.

Otaku Lvl
    Thanks

Knowledge and intelligence are different. Getting Good grades just show that you have a good memory for knowledge, unless it's an exam in mathematics.

Shy#1792
    Otaku Lvl
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

I don't have long paragraphs like them , but I need to point out that Intelligence never did exist for me
    because it's hard work , cause no one really is dumb they're just lazy and if they just worked hard or
    studied hard they would've this so called intelligence.

We all have Intelligence it's just that we don't really work hard in achieving it.

No one is really stupid , we're just lazy people.

The Dark Potato

Upload
    152 Video(s)
    Otaku Lvl
    Thanks

Grades have little to do with how smart you are, in my case I had bad grades from being lazy and skipping assignments. but my tests were always 100% correct so I still passed lol.

OS chef in the making
    Otaku Lvl
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

No. simple as that. neither does a high IQ.

Otaku Lvl
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

for me, no it does not. ^^

Let the Good Times Roll

Where the road ends and the journey begins.
    Upload
    405 Video(s)
    Otaku Lvl
    Thanks

No I do not believe that getting high grades measures how smart you are. Just because you get high grades simply means that you accel in that particular subject and nothing more. Remember everyone has their own strengths and weaknesses so thinking or judging one's intellect based on how high of a grade he or she earns is unjust and unfair to those who work hard to just get average or a little above average marks. To be honest, it is selective because teachers want their students to do well, not only because they personally want to, but because cranking out students who get high grade marks not only looks good for the teachers themselves who are teaching, but for the school district because they can brag and boast that "we are a good school because we teach well because our students get high grades." and thus can draw in more parents who want to send their child or children to "said school" and also to get other backer and support for "levies" and "grants" for extracricular activities besides the usual education that the school offers.

Remember just because you got a "D" or a "C" in said subject does not mean you are stupid or dumb, it just means that you don't do well in that particular subject. That's all, so don't try and look down on yourself and keep your head up and continue on trying your best to do well, because hard work and effort pays off when it's all said and done. :D

OS Lurker
    Otaku Lvl
    Thanks

In the end,grades are all about how much effort & dedication you put in obtaining them,granted some intelligence might help you obtain better grades due to logic/reasoning,etc but that's not nessecarily always the case,either

I'll be silly & provide a wiki link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intelligence
    "It is not merely book learning, a narrow academic skill, or test-taking smarts. Rather, it reflects a broader and deeper capability for comprehending our surroundings—"catching on," "making sense" of things, or "figuring out" what to do."

I'd like to read what other people have to say on this subject aswell :3

edit : I'd also like to mention,grading can show how much potential one has to study & understand a certain subject,so,in a way,it's also a form of intelligence,depends on how you wish to view it

Otaku Lvl
    Thanks

its not. There is a difference between education and intelligence

Anime Samurai >o<
    Otaku Lvl
    Thanks

Where I went to school compared to the other schools in the area you needed serious smarts and commitment to achieve high grades in high school... no idea what it would take in university. I was identified as intellectually gifted but didn't excel in either due to distractions and apathy ha... in the workplace I've always been revered as a prized hiring despite lack of credentials and a hard worker... so... I'd say grades only have to do with your commitment to your own future. That seems fair. I don't have much of a commitment to anything over a month away... so I'll never do good in school until my brain slows down and adjusts. That being said I really admire people who do well in school, especially those who have to try really hard to succeed and do so.. because i never had to try, but also could never succeed. Sigh.. laziness and apathy~

Otaku Lvl
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

Yes and no, It really depends on how you best learn. some people cant understand what is being taught but if you present it to them in a different way they may actually be very intelligence and it might be easy for them. some teachers only teach in one way and if that is the case then their grades will suffer. Intelligence is not measured in grades but your ability to learn.
    I have never lived in the past, becuase it will only bring me pain. I look forward to every night when the cool winds can kiss my face.

Otaku Lvl
    Thanks

No because you could have really low grades and still be a genius at something.

â–ˆâ–ˆâ–ˆâ–ˆâ–ˆâ–ˆâ–ˆâ–ˆï ¿½ �� �� �� ï¿½ï¿½â–ˆâ–ˆâ–ˆâ–ˆâ–ˆâ–ˆï ¿½ �� �� ���� ï¿½â–ˆâ–ˆâ–ˆâ–ˆâ–ˆâ–ˆâ–ˆï ¿½ �� �� ��

Upload
    511 Video(s)
    Otaku Lvl
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

School only shows how good your memorization is.

BRACE YOURSELVES!! DEADPOOL IS COMMING!!