/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Upload
    1719 Video(s)
    Otaku Lvl
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,489 Times in 333 Posts
    Blog Entries

Default Hayao Miyazaki Retires From Directing Feature Films

It's official: world-renowned director and visionary Hayao Miyazaki is retiring from the world of feature film making. The announcement comes via a special conference at the Venice Film Festival where his latest and last feature film, Kaze Tachinu, is being screened in competition.

Kaze Tachinu opened in Japan on July 20th, and to date has earned more than 960 million yen ($9.75 million US dollars). It is slated for wide-release in many countries—including the United States—later this year. The film features a biographical narrative of the life of Jiro Horikoshi, the man responsible for designing the infamous Japanese World War II Zero Fighter plane.

In a recent interview Miyazaki addressed the issue of a possible Kaze no Tani no Naushika sequel by saying that, while he is personally open to the idea, he would leave it entirely in the hands of his friend, Hideaki Anno. Anno's work as Key Animator for the 1984 feature film brought him definite name recognition, and later that year he went on to co-found Gainax (i.e. the studio that gave Shin Seiki Evangelion to the world). Kaze Tachinu marks the last time the two are expected to work together; Anno is voicing the main character in Miyazaki's last feature film.

Spoiler for Kaze Tachinu trailer

Kaze Tachinu is expected to be a contender in the Best Animated Film category at the 2014 Academy Awards. It will mark the first time an anime film has been seriously considered since Spirited Away won in the same category in 2003.

Miyazaki has not ruled out the possibility of working on shorter, personal projects and/or other animated endeavors in the future.

Thank you, Hayao Miyazaki. You will be missed.

Source: /Film, Anime News Network

2. The Following 37 Users Say Thank You to Ceres For This Useful Post:

archangel07 (09-01-2013), Avykun (09-01-2013), AwesomeBeing (09-02-2013), DarkPrinceKnight (09-02-2013), DeepDim (09-06-2013), EndlessSadie (09-02-2013), erin92 (09-12-2013), frozetydog (09-02-2013), jana11 (09-06-2013), Jin H (09-01-2013), Kaiweii (09-03-2013), kitos69 (09-02-2013), knightfury01 (09-05-2013), Kotetsu Tanaka (09-06-2013), lacus99 (09-04-2013), leafstar12 (09-04-2013), legends1994 (09-02-2013), lNile (09-02-2013), louie999 (09-02-2013), Macchiato (09-12-2013), Major Zero (09-02-2013), Not A Spy (09-01-2013), pantagruel (09-04-2013), Qithitha (09-07-2013), ranmachua (09-06-2013), Revelix (09-07-2013), Shinda (09-12-2013), Shinkai Kouru (09-02-2013), Sibyl System (09-02-2013), SparkyLyras (09-02-2013), TacoBrawler (09-02-2013), tfioi (09-02-2013), untouchable (09-02-2013), Watonzon (09-02-2013), WiwoYuioDesu (09-02-2013), yukichan08 (09-02-2013), ZetsuRavez (09-03-2013)

Otaku Lvl
    Thanks

Hail to the king.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bash For This Useful Post:

brisingr4899 (09-02-2013), Shinda (09-12-2013), uchimara (09-03-2013)

Otaku Lvl
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

My heart hurts reading the title. His legacy will continue.
    You have lost the game.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to heyiluvchoco For This Useful Post:

pantagruel (09-04-2013)

~something cool~

Upload
    2034 Video(s)
    Otaku Lvl
    Thanks

This saddens me deeply. Spirited Away (Sen to Chihiro no Kamikakushi) was the first anime movie I ever watched when I was younger and to this day I think it, along with many of Miyazaki's other films, is one of the most amazing pieces of work I've ever seen. Miyazaki is genius, and it's sad to see that genius go now. Maybe in time someone will be able to step in and pick up where he left off, but I honestly doubt it. I do hope he releases something else in the future.

/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Upload
    1719 Video(s)
    Otaku Lvl
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

Ignoring, you know, the fact that he has "retired" twice before now—after the release of Mononoke Hime and Howl's Moving Castle, respectively. All indications point toward this being his final retirement. The fact that he didn't make the announcement himself (a representative of Studio Ghibli did), and it's only a proclamation of his retirement from feature film-making certainly supports that idea.

I, for one, am very interested in seeing what Isao Takahata churns out. They did co-found Studio Ghibli together, after all. If anyone can pick up Miyazaki's mantle it's Takahata. He's getting a bit on in years though. Many seem to think that his next film, Kaguya-Hime no Monogatari, will be his last.

I'd also like to see some more from Hayao's son, Gorō Miyazaki. I didn't care much for From Up On Poppy Hill, but I might be the only person alive who liked his Tales From Earthsea. Although his touch is nowhere near as fine and nuanced as his father's—of Isao Takahata's, for that matter—I think he shows incredible promise.

9. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Ceres For This Useful Post:

Amadeo (09-03-2013), artumas (09-12-2013), erin92 (09-12-2013), Macchiato (09-12-2013), Seiryuukan (09-05-2013), Sibyl System (09-02-2013), uchimara (09-03-2013), umeboshi (09-02-2013)

Been here six years! WHOO
    Otaku Lvl
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

This man really made some great movies that even dubbed over here, kept there integrity. I've seen Spirited Away, Ponyo and The Secret World of Arrietty. Wrong order, but it's how I watched. I think the man does amazing work in the worlds he creates; I hope to see his final film, just to know the he had a wonderful imagine. It'll truly be sad to see he will be gone.

Otaku Lvl
    Thanks

NUUUUU TT_TT DX DUN GO!!!!!

But I guess it can't be helped since he's getting old and he'll retire eventually .-.
    Hunya~☆*:.。. o(≧▽≦)o .。.:*☆

Everyone!!! Please be my friend!!

Otaku Lvl
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

I can't believe that he is retiring. :( I am so sad that I won't see the wonderful movies that he had directed or worked on.

Otaku Lvl
    Thanks

I am really sad to see this. Hayao Miyazaki is one of my favorites. T.T His movies were exceptionally spectacular. I do hope his son would carry on his legacy. Spirited Away and Tales from Earthsea were the first anime movies I've ever watched. </3

Thank you, Hayao Miyazaki! Q.Q

Upload
    1252 Video(s)
    Otaku Lvl
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

His final work as a title expected to match Spirited Away? Now that is something you dont see often. And the sequel is up to the man behind Evangelion? I can't say to being happy to that as the Remake of Evangelion part 3 is somewhat a disaster.

"The trick to running is to stay M-A-D. M for 'move ever forward'. A for 'always accelerate', and D for 'dash and don't stop'. If you don't follow those rules, you'll be doing the same thing tomorrow." - Owari no Chronicle

Otaku Lvl
    Thanks

But, but... I wanted to watch more and more and more of his exceptional work

Ecchi- Knight Grand Cross Leofighter's Avatar
    Otaku Lvl
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

Damn it, I'm crying. Please always be in good health Sir~

Ecchi Order of the Black Knights

When you watch an Anime, you become it's Main Character~

Otaku Lvl
    Thanks

This news breaking my child's heart apart! Such a great legend! T^T Hope new generation can take him as their role for making better anime, neither series nor movie.

"Yo, come say that again.....I DARE YOU."

Level 10 TimeLord Kotetsu Tanaka's Avatar
    Otaku Lvl
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

NOOOOOOOOO s
    Im just heartbroken right now. I really loved all of his works D: He's like my role-model.
    s

Isn't it the truth that seems the most suspicious?

OS Supporter
    Otaku Lvl
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ceres View Post
    Ignoring, you know, the fact that he has "retired" twice before now—after the release of Mononoke Hime and Howl's Moving Castle, respectively. All indications point toward this being his final retirement. The fact that he didn't make the announcement himself (a representative of Studio Ghibli did), and it's only a proclamation of his retirement from feature film-making certainly supports that idea.

I, for one, am very interested in seeing what Isao Takahata churns out. They did co-found Studio Ghibli together, after all. If anyone can pick up Miyazaki's mantle it's Takahata. He's getting a bit on in years though. Many seem to think that his next film, Kaguya-Hime no Monogatari, will be his last.

I'd also like to see some more from Hayao's son, Gorō Miyazaki. I didn't care much for From Up On Poppy Hill, but I might be the only person alive who liked his Tales From Earthsea. Although his touch is nowhere near as fine and nuanced as his father's—of Isao Takahata's, for that matter—I think he shows incredible promise.
    Tales of Earthsea was terrible if you compare it to the books, but if you forget the fact that there are the books, then the film itself isn't that bad. I actually kind of enjoyed after I managed to forget the amazing books. :'D

I'm a little saddened by these news, but nothing lasts forever and we just have to accept that. Miyazaki has done life-changing things and that won't change even if he retires - I will continue to enjoy his films just as much as I have until now. ♥

Otaku Lvl
    Thanks

this is a sad new but all his work will be remembered by many

Want An Anime Items, Gadgets delivered directly to your home!!! Visit https://www.samuraibuyer.jp /en/

Otaku Lvl
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

He's legacy will carry on as well as his animated films, even as time passes away. Lets face it, I don't know anyone who can match his brilliant and marvelous films. They are my childhood and a part of me. He will be missed and remember by many. T^T I'm going to start crying now....

OS Supporter
    Otaku Lvl
    Thanks

NOOOOOOOO I will not accept this.... I will not.... ( Crying in the corner )....

/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Upload
    1719 Video(s)
    Otaku Lvl
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by umeboshi View Post
    Tales of Earthsea was terrible if you compare it to the books, but if you forget the fact that there are the books, then the film itself isn't that bad. I actually kind of enjoyed after I managed to forget the amazing books. :'D

I'm a little saddened by these news, but nothing lasts forever and we just have to accept that. Miyazaki has done life-changing things and that won't change even if he retires - I will continue to enjoy his films just as much as I have until now. ♥
    I haven't read the books. When it comes to reading I usually shy away from fantasy unless the series gets widespread attention like George R. R. Martin's Game of Thrones series. I think I may have one of Ursula K. Le Guin's short stories in a class once, but other than that I'm not familiar with her work :)

Your comment just goes to show that I am, in fact, that only person who liked that movie :D

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Ceres For This Useful Post:

uchimara (09-03-2013)

Otaku Lvl
    Thanks

i Like every single one of his films and i own all of them as well and what he has done will not change he will still be my #1 fav artist out there for anime related films :)!