2013 Otaku-Streamers Community Awards [The Winners]

View Poll Results: Did you like how the OSCAs were run this year?

Voters
225. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

196 87.11%
  • Yes/No. I have some suggestions for improvement (please list below).

11 4.89%
  • No

18 8.00%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    The Saiya-jin
    Upload
    31 Video(s)
    Otaku Lvl
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bunislipper View Post
    It was evident that Sword Art Online would win the most awards this time around due to its extensive fan base. I believe the only one title I had voted for received first place [Another for Best Horror/Supernatural/Mystery Series] which is pleasing to see. Many of the other titles I voted for received second place which is great and now they can have that cute little trophy sitting besides their titles. Personally, like many others have said above, I do not think Sword Art Online should have got as much as it has but the community has spoken! It is also amazing to see that the number of contributors this yeah is the highest it has ever been.
    Well Sword Art Online skyrocketed to the middle of US series and older long run animes at certain sites, but i like how awards did stick setting anime to the one genre even thought it may be sometimes hard. Especially this time with Sword Art Online because its Action, contains more Romance than many animes genred only as so, and is it Fantasy or SciFi? also second season had Drama. :D

Anyways, I'm surprised my Romance favorite got the 1st place and I thought im like the only one watching Zetsuen no Tempest. >:|
    Green Man Gaming has Steam discounts, which stack with the Steam sales.

If I can drink coffee while doing it, I'll do it.
    Master Nurmi, 12.8.2014

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Master Nurmi For This Useful Post:

Ceres (04-27-2013)

Upload
    110 Video(s)
    Otaku Lvl
    Thanks

A suggestion would be to not limit the anime into winning only one genre, for example i found chuunibyou and to love ru to be really funny; having them limited to a single genre which is drama and ecchi is a bit saddening. And I would prefer Sword art online to be on sci-fi because i can't say the action is what made me like SAO, but the story's theme.

Fail vote on me btw, I was not supposed to vote no.

I'm sad only a few of the titles i voted got in ._ .
    Last edited by jzero99; 04-26-2013 at 12:56 PM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to jzero99 For This Useful Post:

Ceres (04-27-2013)

Otaku Lvl
    Thanks

It's good to know that most of my selected answers were chosen. Hehehe I'll be watching those unfamiliar anime anytime this year thank you and God bless
    They said words cannot take it back once they have spoken.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to erin92 For This Useful Post:

Ceres (04-27-2013)

Anime Encyclopedia

Raiding your fridge... Loli Lover Lvl: 99+
    Upload
    141 Video(s)
    Otaku Lvl
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

I'm willing to say that every single spot is pretty much predictable.

Please read the rules before posting.

Lvl ∞ Fallen Hero
    Otaku Lvl
    Thanks

I think that the best Male/Female categories should be removed. I don't feel like it adds much, other categories could be indicators of what OS thinks is good to watch (ideally), but this category really doesn't. Also, it generally just adds additional awards to the most popular series. For example:
    This year, SAO won Best of, Best Male, Best Female
    2011, Ao no Exorcist and Steins;Gate won best of. The Best Male category mirrored this.

I also think that OP/ED could be combined into a single OST category.
    私のホバークラ�? ?トは鰻でいっぱ�? ? です
    æˆ‘çš„æ°£å¢Šèˆ¹å……æ»¿äº †é±”é*š
    Το Χόβερκράφτ μου είναι γεμάτο χÎ*λια
    Puno ng palos ang aking hoberkrap
    Mon aéroglisseur est plein d'anguilles
    lupDujHomwIj luteb gharghmey

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rasen Oh For This Useful Post:

Ceres (04-27-2013), Pascon (04-27-2013)

Otaku Lvl
    Thanks

yes cuz sakurasou no pet kanojo won xD

Baka-ShianEcchi-Slayer

Otaku Lvl
    Thanks

As expected SAO would be in the 1st place. But I'm still disappointed that SAO won, because I voted Sakurasou no Pet. :'(
    Bit at least some anime series that I voted, won 1st or 2nd place. :D

Otaku Lvl
    Thanks

Awwww..I hope Shinsekai Yori got the first place in sci-fic.
    I guess 2nd place is not too as psyco-pass is my fav too...2 great sci-fic in age!

P.S
    SAO won alot of category?!
    Best of action,male,female,op,ed and all over?!
    0,o''....I do like SAO, but the gap between story line in the beginning is hard to catch up..
    Best of all over should be Sakurasou no Pet....TT-TT
    Last edited by Pascon; 04-27-2013 at 12:05 AM.

"Yo, come say that again.....I DARE YOU."

/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Upload
    1719 Video(s)
    Otaku Lvl
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,483 Times in 331 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by coldground93 View Post
    Suggestion about the Best Horror/Supernatural/Mystery Series category : I'm happy that Another and Hyouka got the award, but really think that this category should be split into two. while Horror, Supernatural and Mystery almost always go hand in hand, it's not always the case. I'm suggesting for the next OSCA to have the following category : "Best Non-Horror Supernatural/Mystery Series"
    I completely agree with you. Unfortunately, this year we didn't have much choice in the matter. When the categories were originally drawn up those three categories were separate. Due to the fact that each category only had one or two shows in it we had to look at alternative categorization methods. I would have liked to have a [Best Psychological/Mystery Series] category instead like we had last year, but we simply didn't have enough shows under that umbrella to make it worthwhile.

Every year offers up a different slate of shows so the categories have to be looked at carefully each year. Sometimes categories have to be merged. Other times they have to be deleted. We try to fit things in such a way that each category has at least 5 shows so that the voting is interesting.

I'll definitely keep your suggestion in mind for next year though. Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by ZetsuRavez View Post
    i suggest that before the actual vote, check each title of the anime for every category... maybe there will be some title that is much better in other category than it's current one... (although i didn't checked each title of the anime in this OSCA for corrections)...
    Don't worry, we definitely do that. First, I personally draw up the list according to how Anime News Network classifies each show. Then I ask a handful of people to verify that everything is where it should be. Adjustments are made accordingly depending on their input. There are always a handful of shows that are hard to classify, but we do the best that we can :)

Quote Originally Posted by jzero99 View Post
    A suggestion would be to not limit the anime into winning only one genre, for example i found chuunibyou and to love ru to be really funny; having them limited to a single genre which is drama and ecchi is a bit saddening.
    Thanks for your suggestion. I'm curious though. How would you go about classifying each show then? Would you prefer to have shows cross-listed in multiple categories? Say, for example, that Chu-2 (the shortened version of Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai!) was eligible to win in both [Best Drama Series] and [Best Comedy Series], and it did end up winning in both categories. Do you think that would be fair?

In my opinion, I don't think it would be. The reason we have the categorization limitations is to prevent the "popular"/"mainstream" shows (e.x. Sword Art Online) from winning in every single category. Allowing shows to win in multiple categories would, I think, make the awards kind of pointless. No one seems to like it when one shows hogs all of the awards :)

Quote Originally Posted by Rasen Oh View Post
    I think that the best Male/Female categories should be removed. I don't feel like it adds much, other categories could be indicators of what OS thinks is good to watch (ideally), but this category really doesn't. Also, it generally just adds additional awards to the most popular series . . . I also think that OP/ED could be combined into a single OST category.
    Thank you for your input :) On the one hand, I agree with you. Having those two categories is certainly extra work for me. The characters that win in the [Best Female Character] and [Best Male Character] do tend to come from the show that wins [Best Overall Series] which is in turn whatever show is most "popular" at the moment. There's really no way around that.

On the other, I think people like those categories. Every anime forum has a plethora of "List Your Favorite [Blank]" threads. As banal as those tend to be they do suggest that people genuinely like showing their love for a particular character/thing/show/song/etc.

I don't like the idea of combining the [Best Ending Theme] and [Best Opening Theme] into one category. Even though it would mean less work on my part, merging the two into one doesn't make much sense to me. Soundtracks generally have nothing to do whatsoever with the opening or ending theme.

I have, however, thought about adding a [Best Soundtrack] category. I wasn't sure how much people would really care for it though. I have a feeling that it would end up like the [Best Artwork/Animation] category. Personally, I don't think many people pause to consider exactly why they like a show. I for one thought Guilty Crown was a hot mess, but I adored Hiroyuki Sawano's score. Often it seems like people simply vote for the opening, ending, main female, and main male of whatever show they vote for in the [Best Overall Series] category. Although I can't be certain since we've never tried it, I suspect that people would generally just vote for the soundtrack of whatever show is their personal favorite.

What do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by evil105 View Post
    . . . suggestion is: Separate the action and adventure from each other ... You use MAL and ANN and they clearly say if it's Action or Adventure~

Giving that anime would only win 1 award in the "genre" and that mods sort them by what they THINK fit the most either action or adventure
    I believe that instead of merging them both together it would make more sense to put the animes that have adventure alone and that the ones having only action alone , Since there's many animes that focus on the action and doesn't really have adventure.
    We don't sort the shows by what genre we "think" they fit into. We primarily use the Anime News Network encyclopedia because it's the most reliable source. To double check that we've sorted them correctly we sometimes use My Anime List, Wikipedia, MoonPhase, and other sources.

As has already been noted by other members, splitting the [Best Action/Adventure Series] category into separate categories doesn't make much sense. It especially wouldn't have made sense this year. There simply weren't enough shows with either "adventure" or "action" as a primary genre to merit separate categories. The two genres almost (but not) always go hand in hand. You cannot have an adventure show without action in it, or an action show without a sense of adventure.

Take a look for yourself at the genre breakdown of all the shows of in the [Best Action/Adventure Category]:
    Spoiler for genre breakdown

Perhaps next year we'll see more shows with either adventure or action as a primary genre. Who knows? We take each year as it comes. Thanks for your input anyway!

~ OS Lost SouL ~
    Otaku Lvl
    Thanks

Yay! Most of the anime that i voted won.. O(∩_∩)O

OS Regular

Upload
    40 Video(s)
    Otaku Lvl
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

don't you all agree that SAO is 1st and Sakurasou was 2nd...to me it means the two were the best anime this OSCA.

and still, no cheating has happened so its all fair...:D
    An ANGEL is always watching you...but a DEMON is always near you

The Nobody

Upload
    1146 Video(s)
    Otaku Lvl
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ceres View Post
    We don't sort the shows by what genre we "think" they fit into. We primarily use the Anime News Network encyclopedia because it's the most reliable source. To double check that we've sorted them correctly we sometimes use My Anime List, Wikipedia, MoonPhase, and other sources.

As has already been noted by other members, splitting the [Best Action/Adventure Series] category into separate categories doesn't make much sense. It especially wouldn't have made sense this year. There simply weren't enough shows with either "adventure" or "action" as a primary genre to merit separate categories. The two genres almost (but not) always go hand in hand. You cannot have an adventure show without action in it, or an action show without a sense of adventure.

Take a look for yourself at the genre breakdown of all the shows of in the [Best Action/Adventure Category]:
    Spoiler for genre breakdown

Perhaps next year we'll see more shows with either adventure or action as a primary genre. Who knows? We take each year as it comes. Thanks for your input anyway!
    That part I meant it for the choice between why not put SAO into Fantasy or Drama (Since clearly all of it is fantasy and drama while the action was barely 3 out of 25 episodes).

If we go by the ANN:
    Adventure : Campione! , Magi , Moretsu Pirates , Tankan Driland <- that's for adventure animes
    Action : Aquarian EVOL , Brave10 , Btooom! , Chō Soku Henkei Gyrozetter , Code:Breaker , Danball Senki W , Fate/Zero S2 , Hakuouki Reimeiroku , Initial D Fifth Stage , JoJo's Bizarre Adventure , Jormungand/Jormungand S2 , K , Kingdom , Lupin the 3rd: Mine Fujiko to Iu Onna , Medaka Box/Medaka Box Abnormal , Senki Zessho Symphogear , Sword Art Online , Tankan Driland <- that's 20

I think (my opinion) is that 4 is enough to make their own selection ... if it was 3 that wouldn't be good but 4 is enough .. well that's my thinking only..

New Suggestion
    I forgot to mentioned .. I would suggest 2 new awards .. the "Best Shounen/Shoujo" and "Best Seinen/Josei".
    Spoiler :  

/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Upload
    1719 Video(s)
    Otaku Lvl
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,483 Times in 331 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by evil105 View Post
    That part I meant it . . . [redacted to save space] . . . I would suggest 2 new awards .. the "Best Shounen/Shoujo" and "Best Seinen/Josei".
    It's quite clear that we have very different notions regarding how series should be categorized. I respect your opinion, but there's no point in dithering over it now. I'll leave it at that.

Regarding your new suggestion, when I was re-vamping the OSCAs last year I did considering doing something like that. The problem is that those categories (shounen, shoujo, seinen, josei, etc.) are manga comic demographic groups. They don't apply to anime at all.

The primary reason you often see them used in connection with anime is that if an anime is based on pre-existing material (manga, light novel, etc.) it is assumed that the anime will target the same demographic that the source material did. So, for example, you often hear Magi: The Labyrinth of Magic referred to as a shounen show simply because the manga targeted the shounen demographic. You wouldn't hear someone in Japan calling out an anime as shounen, josei, etc.

Furthermore, people in the West have latched onto them as go-to words to describe certain types of anime because they each come with a built-in set of easily recognizable tropes. It's wrong to use those demographic group terms like that but it's hard to help because we've all been using them incorrectly for so long. You can be sure that people in Japan don't use them in that way.

I would be interested in hearing if you have any other category ideas. What do you think of Rasen Oh's idea about removing the [Best Female Character] and [Best Male Character] categories and adding a [Best Soundtrack] category?

Otaku Lvl
    Thanks

Yeah i quite sad Quantity is more effective than quality
    altough i prefer Yasashisa No riiyu than crossing field, the moral value of yasashisa no riyuu is better than crossing field
    Quantity > Quality
    How Harsh this life

comedy in sakurasou is better than Danshi kokosei ?? again..Quantity is better than quality i think the sakurasou win from romance series in comedy danshi kokosei is better, i almost got laugh every episode

Quality < Quantity
    Last edited by Ceres; 04-27-2013 at 10:55 AM.

Bringer of weirdness asdfghJHEYkl's Avatar
    Otaku Lvl
    Thanks

wow.. never expected that SAO would get so many awards :v
    You Only Got One Life(unless you're a cat or mario), Live like there's no tomorrow

Otaku Lvl
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chaozledz View Post
    comedy in sakurasou is better than Danshi kokosei ?? again..Quantity is better than quality i think the sakurasou win from romance series in comedy danshi kokosei is better, i almost got laugh every episode

Quality < Quantity
    That's life for you...

Otaku Lvl
    Thanks

well... SAO sure deserves it :3

The Nobody

Upload
    1146 Video(s)
    Otaku Lvl
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ceres View Post
    I would be interested in hearing if you have any other category ideas. What do you think of Rasen Oh's idea about removing the [Best Female Character] and [Best Male Character] categories and adding a [Best Soundtrack] category?
    No more suggestion other than what I've already said~
    regarding Rasen Oh's suggestion I'll go with agreeing , Best male and Best Female would go for the main characters of the most hyped anime (as we all know), The problem with Best OST is not many people care or know much about the OST but I do agree with this suggestion.
    Spoiler :  

Edo, Japan, Yorozuya Gin-chan, inside the closet under Kagura's bed
    Otaku Lvl
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

Seriously, why do people keep voting on popular things? Personally I think SAO isn't that good. 4/10 why would people buy a game where they would be stuck? Even though it has the same director as Accel World, Accel World was may much better than SAO. And also, for all the users who reads this I know you're gonna hate me or something but well they say "haters gonna hate"

Otaku Lvl
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zyrille View Post
    Seriously, why do people keep voting on popular things? Personally I think SAO isn't that good. 4/10 why would people buy a game where they would be stuck? Even though it has the same director as Accel World, Accel World was may much better than SAO. And also, for all the users who reads this I know you're gonna hate me or something but well they say "haters gonna hate"
    Everyone has different opinions on everything. History is proof of that. You just have to accept that, sadly. Just think yourself as one of them who has the better taste in anime :) I find SAO to be lacking too, I do not think SAO deserves the first place.