PDA

View Full Version : [Japan News] Japanese Prime Minister Quits

BloodyAngel
06-02-2010, 08:32 PM
http://thenullset.files.wordpress.com/2008/02/shock-edit.jpg

Japanese Prime Minister Yukio Hatoyama has announced his resignation after just eight months in office.

It comes after he broke an election pledge to move an unpopular US military base away from the island of Okinawa.

Mr Hatoyama's Democratic Party of Japan (DPJ) is struggling to revive its chances in an election due in July.

He said he had also asked DPJ Secretary General Ichiro Ozawa, who has been embroiled in a funding scandal, to step down to "revitalise" the party.

The centre-left DPJ's election landslide last year ended half a century of conservative rule in Japan.

Mr Hatoyama, 63, was Japan's fourth prime minister in four years. He will remain in office until a the DPJ meets on Friday to appoint a new leader who will almost certainly become prime minister.

Finance Minister and Deputy Prime Minister Naoto Kan, widely considered a potential winner, has already declared his intention to run for the post.

Broken promise

Until Tuesday night, Mr Hatoyama had insisted he would stay on while intermittently holding talks with key members of his party.

But he announced his resignation at a special meeting of DPJ lawmakers on Wednesday, telling them the government's work had "not reflected the public's wishes".

"I apologise to all of you lawmakers here for causing enormous trouble," he said.

Announcing his decision to the country in an emotional televised address, he said he had "tried to change politics in which the people of Japan would be the main actors" but had not succeeded.

"That's mainly because of my failings," he said.

http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/47972000/jpg/_47972926_009427828-1.jpg

Coalition splits

Mr Hatoyama had been under pressure to quit since last week when it was confirmed that the deeply unpopular Futenma US base would be staying on the southern island of Okinawa.

Okinawa is home to more than half of the 47,000 American troops based in Japan.
Continue reading the main story Futenma US Marines base, Okinawa, Japan Profile: Japan's Okinawa Okinawa voices: 'No more bases!'

Many islanders resent the high military presence and have been angered by incidents involving US troops stationed there, including the rape of a 12-year-old Japanese girl in 1995.

For months Mr Hatoyama had searched fruitlessly for an alternative location to fulfil a pledge to move the base off the island or even out of Japan altogether.

http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/47769000/jpg/_47769033_009033585-1.jpg

Okinawa is the focal point of the security treaty between the US and Japan which has balanced military power in north-east Asia since World War II.

Under the pact, Japan - which is prevented from maintaining a war-ready army by its constitution - subsidises the US military presence while the US guarantees Japan's security.

Question:

Do you think that the Okinawa US Military Base should be move out or remove from the Okinawa Island? If so, Why? or If not, Why?

Tell us your True or Honest Opinion about this.

ranmachua
06-02-2010, 08:39 PM
Osaka from Azumanga Daioh? Oh, now I get it! XD

fundilloman
06-02-2010, 08:54 PM
I was watching this on TV the other day, also saw how the US had an air base in the Philippines and how they managed to have them leave. Companies started moving in and giving many people jobs but for lower pay, but at the same time they had to let go all of the workers that were at the bases and they were interviewing a person that used to work at the one of the bases saying how the change was bad for all the workers since they were trained to work there and couldn't find jobs anywhere else. The same might not happen in japan, but seeing how the tensions are right now between north korea and south korea , it might not be a bad thing to keep the base where it is.

takasuryuuji
06-02-2010, 11:43 PM
My answer to your question would maybe too personal for others or maybe not...
So I'll put in a spoiler...It's up to you if you will read it... but don't get mad at me if the reason is this...:emhh15:
Yes, because US Military Bases in other countries resemble it's superiority to "us" citizen of those "country". This only shows that we are under the power of that country, even though they didn't stated it that way. It also show that they holds our country by it's necks.

I hope this won't disturbed your own opinions....:emhh13:

Snoozy19
06-02-2010, 11:46 PM
I think that it's better that it moved....Just by reading that inhumane incident I start to think why American troops are even stationed in Japan in the first place.
Although I am not stating that all american soldiers are wacked its just the meaning of code that the soldiers live by are getting weaker than it used to.
The Japanese people might forgive them and obtain a second chance but what is done is done no matter how hard they repent its still recorded down in their files.
Even if those soldiers who committed the crime were to go to jail the US soldiers stationed there will be looked upon in a different perspective.
So yeah, i think that its better if they were out of Japan.

lovekills
06-02-2010, 11:58 PM
Well this is pretty complicated. The problem with the base is that there are cases where our service men go out and commit crimes. The rape of the 12 year old girl isn't the only case although its the only one the news articles seem to mention. There are other cases where our servicemen raped Japanese girls and women. This gives a very negative impression especially in a country where in the past and possible even today; the people are worried about foreigners committing crimes. If you watch "Smile" (its in the streaming list) you can get a glimpse of this to some extent. So it is understandable why the Japanese want the base gone.

However, North Korea is raising tensions in the region and may end up causing conflict that may get Japan involved. The bases are there for Japan's security and also bring a lot of money into the area. Having lived on military bases most of my life; including bases in Japan; I have heard many times the concerns people in the area get when base closing times comes around and the military is going around looking for what bases it should close down. Of course the concern is as the previous poster said; if the base is closed then a lot of the money leaves the area and jobs are lost.

I do not think the bases should be removed completely but I do think measures should be made to resolve the situation. The base should be moved somewhere less populated as a start. Further, not only should all servicemen who commit crimes be punished by the Japanese justice system but they should be dishonorably discharged and punished further by the United States. When in a foreign country especially when you represent another country you should be held to a higher standard and if you commit a crime you not only are harming the victim but the relationship between the two countries. Especially at a time when we need to keep close ties with other countries it is important to maintain trust with other nations. Not just their government but the people of those countries as well.

The noise complaints can be curved by moving to a less populated area. Crime committed by Americans can be curved by harsher punishment. Lastly aircraft should be restricted to flying over less populated areas whenever possible so that there aren't anymore cases where our aircraft crash into Japanese buildings. Also increased regulations to make sure the craft and pilot will not have any problems would be a good thing.

Not everything can be solved perfectly and I do not believe everything I said is perfect. However, if we want to maintain our relationship with Japan we need to listen to the problems and try to find a compromise. If this is not the case then things will only get worse until either the Japanese people realize the base is necessary or the Japanese government is left with no choice but to remove the base all together which will undermine the U.S.-Japan relationship even more and leave Japan less secure if Japan were to be targets by another country.

johnisholy2
06-03-2010, 12:19 AM
they sould just get out of japan, the US is supposedly suppose to "police" the world, but why stay if they are going to create more problems and create internal conflict, the US does not have to stick their noses into personal matters of other countries. The US is not God.

Snoozy19
06-03-2010, 12:20 AM
Well this is pretty complicated. The problem with the base is that there are cases where our service men go out and commit crimes. The rape of the 12 year old girl isn't the only case although its the only one the news articles seem to mention. There are other cases where our servicemen raped Japanese girls and women. This gives a very negative impression especially in a country where in the past and possible even today; the people are worried about foreigners committing crimes. If you watch "Smile" (its in the streaming list) you can get a glimpse of this to some extent. So it is understandable why the Japanese want the base gone.

However, North Korea is raising tensions in the region and may end up causing conflict that may get Japan involved. The bases are there for Japan's security and also bring a lot of money into the area. Having lived on military bases most of my life; including bases in Japan; I have heard many times the concerns people in the area get when base closing times comes around and the military is going around looking for what bases it should close down. Of course the concern is as the previous poster said; if the base is closed then a lot of the money leaves the area and jobs are lost.

I do not think the bases should be removed completely but I do think measures should be made to resolve the situation. The base should be moved somewhere less populated as a start. Further, not only should all servicemen who commit crimes be punished by the Japanese justice system but they should be dishonorably discharged and punished further by the United States. When in a foreign country especially when you represent another country you should be held to a higher standard and if you commit a crime you not only are harming the victim but the relationship between the two countries. Especially at a time when we need to keep close ties with other countries it is important to maintain trust with other nations. Not just their government but the people of those countries as well.

The noise complaints can be curved by moving to a less populated area. Crime committed by Americans can be curved by harsher punishment. Lastly aircraft should be restricted to flying over less populated areas whenever possible so that there aren't anymore cases where our aircraft crash into Japanese buildings. Also increased regulations to make sure the craft and pilot will not have any problems would be a good thing.

Not everything can be solved perfectly and I do not believe everything I said is perfect. However, if we want to maintain our relationship with Japan we need to listen to the problems and try to find a compromise. If this is not the case then things will only get worse until either the Japanese people realize the base is necessary or the Japanese government is left with no choice but to remove the base all together which will undermine the U.S.-Japan relationship even more and leave Japan less secure if Japan were to be targets by another country.

It seems to me that your complicated as well. A person with a broad idea of situations like yourself are mostly quite skilled in handling in issues regarding to politics and military.
I liked your post alot, it made me really think about the possibilities of other countries issues as well.

lovekills
06-03-2010, 12:34 AM
they sould just get out of japan, the US is supposedly suppose to "police" the world, but why stay if they are going to create more problems and create internal conflict, the US does not have to stick their noses into personal matters of other countries. The US is not God.

Having the bases there allows the United States to increase the security of Japan while at the same time we are able to deploy troops to to near by countries more easily than if we had to deploy them from the U.S. to Asia. Further, this was an agreement between Japan and the United States. Japan has been free to do as it wishes for decades and has chosen not to revise it's constitution because there isn't enough Japanese support to get the amendment passed. The United States has wanted Japan to rearm and have it's own military for a long time now but Japan has remained dedicated to never take up arms as a means to resolve conflict again. The bases are not there because the United States is forcing them on to Japan. They are there because of a previous agreement between the two countries.

It seems to me that your complicated as well. A person with a broad idea of situations like yourself are mostly quite skilled in handling in issues regarding to politics and military.
I liked your post alot, it made me really think about the possibilities of other countries issues as well.

You flatter me to much! I am not that great! But thank you for the compliment! I am glad that it made you think about things. Especially in the United States our citizens need to be more aware of the world and what goes on and what impressions we leave on foreign nations. There are nations who's citizens think that United States citizens are ignorant of other nations and don't know anything about foreign countries. Unfortunately that seems somewhat true because whenever I talk about something in the news about another country I see people's eyes glaze over and they don't seem to care. (That of course doesn't mean everyone like that. Its just thats the usual reaction I get to mentioning anything about foreign nations.

kimzs
06-03-2010, 12:45 AM
Having the bases there allows the United States to increase the security of Japan while at the same time we are able to deploy troops to to near by countries more easily than if we had to deploy them from the U.S. to Asia. Further, this was an agreement between Japan and the United States. Japan has been free to do as it wishes for decades and has chosen not to revise it's constitution because there isn't enough Japanese support to get the amendment passed. The United States has wanted Japan to rearm and have it's own military for a long time now but Japan has remained dedicated to never take up arms as a means to resolve conflict again. The bases are not there because the United States is forcing them on to Japan. They are there because of a previous agreement between the two countries.

yeah thats true

kingofchimps
06-03-2010, 02:33 AM
Do you know what happens when you rape someone while you are in the U.S. military? You get sentenced to death. It's not like that rapist just got discharged and went home. Like lovekills pointed out, the based could be moved somewhere a little more out of the way, but not that many people are actually complaining.

Kamaitachi
06-03-2010, 04:46 AM
1) doesn`t matter from what country were the guy`s who raped that 12 year girl..a criminal is a criminal no matter the country
2) shouldn`t they make a referendum about this ? Are the japan people willing to accept any longer u.s. bases or not
3) i don`t think relocating the base somewhere less populated would solve the problem the guy`s on leave will go to have fun in the nearest town/city so bascly is the same thing
4) not beeing a japanese citizen is not up to me to say yes or no. it`s up to them as i pointed out at #2

RenegadeXD
06-03-2010, 05:02 AM
Sounds familiar to the Philippines the "Visiting Forces agreement".....America is taking over asia hahahahahah Lolz

lovekills
06-03-2010, 05:14 AM
Do you know what happens when you rape someone while you are in the U.S. military? You get sentenced to death.

Actually that is not completely correct. Death as a punishment for rape was introduced in 2007 where as the rape occurred in 1995 and unfortunately this means he can not be punished with death because in the United States you can not charge someone with a crime committed before the law was introduced nor can you change the punishment and then implement it on someone who has already been convicted before hand. This problem has gone on for 15 years ever since the rape occurred. Thats 15 years of damage to the relationship of two countries and until things are resolved the damage will continue. A prime minister was forced to resign partially because of this after all. Rape in my opinion is absolutely unforgivable and should be a death sentence regardless. Further when committed in such a way that the entire case becomes part of a cause for damaging international relationships it is even worse. If the worst were to happen and the bases get taken out of Japan and then North Korea(who launched a missile over Japan recently for "testing purposes"; dont remember exactly when) attacks Japan for whatever reason (If you look at the news recently and just in general you'll see reports about how crazy North Korea's government is) it will result in a lot of Japanese deaths and more issues for the United States when we would undoubtedly come to the rescue. Just look through history and you'll start to find that there are many incidences where a combination of what at first seemed like small problems led to break outs of massive amounts death and suffering. That is why things like this can't just let men who do things like this get away easy. Its cases like these that I do not believe we should withhold increasing the harshness of the punishment. If we had put the three service men to death then it would have helped to lesson the rage that the Japanese people feel about this and it might not have snow-balled into what it is now. The United States has always pushed the envelope on things and as you see in the news we are now being criticized about the hundreds of innocent people who are killed because we are to aggressive with our predator drones and it is getting to the point that Predator drones will be considered an international crime if they aren't used more carefully. As more and more factors combine and people start looking at the U.S. in a negative light things can easily lead to people becoming hateful towards the U.S. and to desire revenge for their people. Terrorism against the U.S. isn't something someone can commit their life to against the U.S. just because they are crazy. They feel justified in what they do for whatever reason they have and although terrorism is wrong it is a product that has partially been a result of our carelessness in our actions that lead to lingering feelings of hatred. May sound cheezy but what Yoda said is true. "fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering." The fear we inflicted lead to anger....the anger lead to hatred... and the hatred lead to suffering. While it may not have been our intentions we cannot deny the suffering we have inflicted on innocent people. And not everyone is the most intelligent; people are easily swayed by their emotions and rallied to causes that they would have found ridiculous otherwise. We cannot take the problems we inflict lightly even if they were unintentional it will come back to bite us in the future. We need to work out best now to prevent misunderstandings and conflict in the future.

Another thing is at the same time Japan is at fault as well. Japan officials need to let their people know why the military is there more strongly and remind them of what could happen if a military presence in Japan were lessened or removed altogether. Things my not have gotten so far out of hand if the Japanese government had done more to reassure the public. However, if they do not do so then perhaps they do not wish to stick to their pacifistic constitution as much as it seemed. After all, if the U.S. leaves Japan will have to rebuild a real army. Also, Japan rebuilding an army could lead to regional tension and damage relationships in the middle east which will be remembering the Japan of the past. Of course, if that is the path Japan chooses to take it will be their job to show those they harmed in the past that they are no long an imperialistic nation like they were and will be committed to helping their neighbors instead of hurting them.

pidodido
06-03-2010, 08:21 AM
I get attracted to this topic because of OSAKA hahahahahahah
but after reading it, I feel like reading same old problem in my country philippines.......

SH1Tmakasit
06-03-2010, 09:06 AM
I get attracted to this topic because of OSAKA hahahahahahah
but after reading it, I feel like reading same old problem in my country philippines.......

same here

hokeymon
06-03-2010, 10:32 AM
Answer: Same thing that happened to the Philippines. We got targeted by Japan because America has to "offer" their help in World War II by stationing bases in the Philippines and what do we got? Massacred, humiliated, and raped by the Japanese in World War II ( Fu** america and their helping ) . No offense towards the Japanese, really.

I think the same thing will happen to the Japanese if they let the Americans stay their. Japan will be another scape-goat between america and Korea.

lovekills
06-03-2010, 11:28 AM
Thats an excellent point though in Japan's case they don't have a military unless you count the self defense force. (and even they only get funded with 1% of the national budget). Further, the circumstances were much different and there is no guarantee that it wouldn't have been worse in the philipines if the U.S. hadn't stepped in. Ever heard of the rape of Nanking? Japan's military raped and slaughtered thousands and thousdands (i believe in the hundreds of thousands) of Chinese people. Japan's leader ship was no completely just at that time and as they expanded their empire similar tragedies may have occurred else where. Especially since the Japanese did not regard non-japanese as equals. Korea and Taiwan were put through a process to make them more Japanese and try to instill the "Japanese spirit" in them. Then, even after that you would still not be considered equal to Japanese.

If bases had not been placed in the Philippines and we did not have places to deploy from in the area Japan might not have been beaten and they may have won their bid for regional hegemony and who knows what might have happened from there. A large reason that Japan lost the war was due to lack of resources and later the inability to implement the resources they acquired towards the war effort. If hadn't beaten Japan then and Japan was able to recover it's strength and materials then its a possibility that Japan might have won in WW2. After reading about how fiercely the Japanese fought and how much immense effort it took just to push into Japan start the fire bombings. I would hate to see what a fight against Japan would have been like if we had to fight them in their prime with as much access to resources they needed (food, oil, etc). Of course the United States might have still won but at what cost? And would the U.S. have kept fighting to keep Japan from taking over East Asia? At what point would the United States back off and decide it wasn't worth it to fight. After all it wasn't our fight and the only reason we were attacked by the Japanese in Pearl Harbor was because we stopped oil trade that they needed and Japan figured the attack on Pearl Harbor would break our will and force us to continue trade.

Further, for something like what happened in the Philippines to occur there would have to be a reason for them to want to take over Japan. Someone who isn't afraid of fighting the United States to take over a country with very little local resources that would benefit other countries. I some how doubt theres anyone who would want to fight the strongest country in the world over Japan. I mean Japan is great but there are much more worthwhile targets with less risk or difficulty. Something happening in Japan like you suggested is unlikely in the near future and if there ever came a time where it became likely it would be up to Japan to change it's constitution to allow it to develop it's own military and have the bases removed.

Of course, this is a very complex matter and I know very little about the what happened in the Philippines so of course I won't boast that I have the most informed decision or anything. However, I seriously doubt that you can compare the situation in Japan to what happened in the Philippines.

I also want to note that although i said we are the most powerful nation in the world; I was not bragging and I do not feel proud of it. I feel like war should be used much more sparingly and only to secure the safety of the innocent. I think the United States is to careless and aggressive but I am hoping that will change. (Actually it looks like we are taking a step in that direction with the revising of what rules the U.S. will hold itself to as far as deploying it's military. It has become more strict and is placing more emphasis on negotiation rather than just fighting like we did with the middle east in this past decade. But I guess only time will tell.

Somilge
06-03-2010, 12:07 PM
I was watching this on TV the other day, also saw how the US had an air base in the Philippines and how they managed to have them leave. Companies started moving in and giving many people jobs but for lower pay, but at the same time they had to let go all of the workers that were at the bases and they were interviewing a person that used to work at the one of the bases saying how the change was bad for all the workers since they were trained to work there and couldn't find jobs anywhere else. The same might not happen in japan, but seeing how the tensions are right now between north korea and south korea , it might not be a bad thing to keep the base where it is.

US had a base in the Philippines but what made them abandon the base was not any government's effort or anybody's effort - it was Mother Nature when Mt. Pinatubo erupted and a storm came in trapping pyroclastic materials and plunging the whole town into a three-day darkness. I should know, I was there. LOLZ But I digress..

It is true that in the past, there have been a lot of transgressions from both sides. It was wrong. But they are in the past. I agree with what lovekills said, further transgressions can be avoided if both parties implement stricter regulations about a serviceman's tour of duty and what is expected of him when he is on leave (meaning out of the base but still in the country where he is stationed) and harsher punishment for violators (that means no whisking a serviceman off to the American Embassy after he has been convicted and where he is treated like he is on vacation). Whether it is the American base in Japan the Visiting Forces Agreement in the Philippines. I do not know how the sentence is carried out in the US or by the US Marshall, but it should be parallel to what a violator's punishment should be if not harsher since the serviceman in question would be in effect representing his country (in this case the US) and the repercussions are greater since he is representing his country in his capacity as a serviceman while on his tour of duty.

Locals should also think of the reasons why the servicemen are there. It is not always a bad thing if there is an American base or an American serviceman. Abuse would happen ONLY if we allow them to get away with it.

It is hard to strike a harmonious balance of coexistence. Grudges from the past, fear of history repeating itself.. all of these may breed and infest and corrode bridges between different nations. But if we truly are working for peace then we can strive for coexistence.

Cptkurke
06-03-2010, 01:37 PM
The american troops harass the locals....they also do it here in the phils....like there so many rape cases by american soldiers.....And the way the priminister resigned just cuz he failed a promise..i admire that...cuz he actually feels guilt unlike most politicians here in the philippines

notanotaku
06-03-2010, 01:44 PM
Will this affect anime? If not, i won't think of an answer yet. It kinda 'needs' effort to think through this kind of thing.

doom12358
06-03-2010, 04:03 PM
i think the military base should be maintained, if its taken out of okinawa then japan will lose quite a bit of its defensive rescources

AyaHirano
06-03-2010, 07:25 PM
I've never been catching up with news these few days and all i know was the prime minister was stepping down.Never knew it was due to such reasons.
Well my personal opinion to the question would be a big YES.This may sound bias, but i've always liked japan's culture and stuff.I feel that there's no reason to have a US base in Japan, and Japanese should be granted the power to have an army to fend themselves in times of war.
2nd reason: I cant stand rape. I don't really care how people might think"Oh americans are really open-minded" or whatever. Whats worse, the 12 year-old girl rape in 1995 issn't the only incident that happened. Many similar incidents involving the Americans living in Okinawa occured throughout the years.If i were the prime minister i would do whatever it takes to get them off Japan.
These are just my personal opinion, hope nobody gets offended.

Snoozy19
06-03-2010, 07:43 PM
So many hard thinkers here...XD

unioncityblu
06-03-2010, 08:54 PM
I think everything lovekills has thus far is very well thought out and very interesting. I tend to agree with her on almost every point. I think when it comes to moving the bases out Japan the Government of Japan would have to deal with a lot of other issues first, the main one being their own national security. And I think that is something that will take time to properly address, because they will need to first get the populace behind it, secondly come up with a way to fund it, and thirdly implement a brand new Volunteer/conscription policy. Personally I think Japan would greatly benefit from implementing it's own militia, It would also give the US more resources to use in other areas, and it would force North Korea to contend with another country who would be against their becoming a Nuclear power, it would also give us another powerful ally in that region, which I think is worth much -much- more then a base.

Also throughout history when a country's safety has been put in the hands of another country, even one of it's allies, nothing good has ever come of it. It makes it to easy to point fingers and place blame outside of their own borders, it also gives an outside country, who will always put it's own interests first, too much power within those borders.

In any case, if it is a question of whether or not I think the bases should be moved I would have to say yea, but only if Japan can find the resources and the support to create a Military of it's own. Making hasty decisions even if they are popular at the moment, could have an incredibly negative impact on that region.

kingofchimps
06-03-2010, 09:40 PM
Lovekills, everything you say makes sense. You are my new definition of an informed citizen. If there were more Americans (assuming your American) like you who actually know what's happening in the world, people world-wide wouldn't view America as negatively as they do.

Bassist
06-04-2010, 12:59 AM
Fourth one out. Wont be surprised by a fifth. Anyway , Yukio should be trying to shift off the Okinawan base to a more secluded area. But apparently Obama won.

OVirus53
06-04-2010, 12:59 AM
I'm trying to figure out why this is front page news on this site.

HomieBwaha
06-04-2010, 01:37 AM
I used to live on a Base in Aomori, Japan. I have friends up in Okinawa. Moving a military base would cause a lot of trouble...
Honestly, I vote no... There are bad people who are going to do bad things no matter what race or reason.
Think of your best friend, someone you would die for.
Now think about losing them for most of your life.
That's what being in the military as a child is like.
You just lose your closest friends.
Over, and over, and over.
So my honest opinion is... No.
Of course I have my other reasons. Like it may cause trouble with the US. And besides that, we have other bases in Japan, so what would be the point?
Until they can support themselves incase of a war, I think it should stay.
But if they didn't NEED us there, then screw it, move the base.
Just, as things are right now with Korea... I wouldn't risk it.
However, there is something else I would stand for. Moving the trouble makers away. There are always dumb people doing stupid sh-... Stuff >.> So just PCS their dumbasses away from Okinawa!
[PCS is a military term, when a member of the military moves bases]

lovekills
06-04-2010, 01:50 AM
I've never been catching up with news these few days and all i know was the prime minister was stepping down.Never knew it was due to such reasons.
Well my personal opinion to the question would be a big YES.This may sound bias, but i've always liked japan's culture and stuff.I feel that there's no reason to have a US base in Japan, and Japanese should be granted the power to have an army to fend themselves in times of war.
2nd reason: I cant stand rape. I don't really care how people might think"Oh americans are really open-minded" or whatever. Whats worse, the 12 year-old girl rape in 1995 issn't the only incident that happened. Many similar incidents involving the Americans living in Okinawa occured throughout the years.If i were the prime minister i would do whatever it takes to get them off Japan.
These are just my personal opinion, hope nobody gets offended.

They are allowed to make their own army technically speaking. No one is stopping them other than themselves. The reason that they don't is that there has never been enough support for it in their government to amend their constitution.

Article 9 of the Japanese constitution:

第九条 日本国民は、正義と秩序を基調とする国際平和を誠実に希求し、国権の発動たる戦争と、武力による威 嚇又は武力の行使は、国際紛争を解決する手段としては、永久にこれを放棄する。二 前項の目的を達するため 、陸海空軍その他の戦力は、これを保持しない。国の交戦権は、これを認めない。

Official English Translation:

ARTICLE 9. Aspiring sincerely to an international peace based on justice and order, the Japanese people forever renounce war as a sovereign right of the nation and the threat or use of force as means of settling international disputes. (2) To accomplish the aim of the preceding paragraph, land, sea, and air forces, as well as other war potential, will never be maintained. The right of belligerency of the state will not be recognized.

If they want the bases gone and to have their own military that is up to them. As far as the rape goes; anyone who knows me know how much hatred and contempt I hold for rapists. However, it really comes down to whether or not having the bases there is worth it. There is always the option of having no military and removing the bases and continuing on with not having a official military. (they do have the Self-Defense forces but its really small) However, the question is; can the Japanese prevent the possibility of being attached without the use of Military force and without the United States watching over them? I imagine a lot of people still hold grudges towards the Japanese and when I was going to Purdue University I met a lot of Chinese, Taiwanese, and Koreans who were my age and had nothing to do with WW2; that had feelings of hatred towards the Japanese. Even if they dont end up in a direct war someone might follow in Al queda's foot steps and terrorism against Japan could start.

One of the things that could help prevent that is owning up to what they did and apologizing for many of the things that they have still failed to apologize for. Also, I am not sure if this is still going on, but they used to censor out some of the horrible things they did in WW2 from their history teachings and that has angered many as well. The Chinese, Taiwanese, and Koreans I spoke of earlier mainly talked about Japan not taking responsibility and apologizing for what they did and not so much that they hated the Japanese of today for the way they are. Setting aside pride can do a lot for improving relations and regional stability. So if the bases are to be removed thats something that also needs to be thought about. THe bases dont just protect against attacks from countries; it protects the country from Radical groups as well. Of course, I don't know exactly how much ill-will there is toward the Japanese in the countries Japan occupied but there seems to be a mixture of liking Japan and loathing Japan. Along with those who hate Japan I also met some who loved Japan; (and some even brought up anime which I found hilarious. ANIME WILL PAVE THE WAY TO A FUTURE BOND BETWEEN ALL NATIONS....okay...I am done....I am ashamed....I will go sit in a corner now.

Canon
06-04-2010, 10:48 AM
Oh, that's too bad...

pikel
06-04-2010, 03:15 PM
I intend to join the military soon, and when I do I want to be stationed in Japan. (btw, I'm american) So I guess you know where I stand on this, eh?

Ryuji
06-04-2010, 03:26 PM
OMG, well, it happened, i smelled something fishy for a long time now, but this, hehe well dw everyone, everythin is goin to be ok xD

SH1Tmakasit
06-04-2010, 04:30 PM
I'd honestly say when he is quitting after few months makes him like a person who can't handle anything big or can't fix any problem or... a loser if you must

fu8ar
06-04-2010, 11:15 PM
I read a little bit of this, and for the most part believe it is up to the Japanese people to decide if they want our base there still or not. As to killing someone for rape or any other crime they committed, I don't agree. I feel death is a release not a punishment. Granted, in the military you must have a strict and just way of enforcing the laws. Castration would be my suggested form of punishment for a rapist.

caddock
06-06-2010, 01:29 PM
it's good to see a discussion regarding American foreign affairs without a bunch of fact-less America bashing. i don't even have anything to add.