View Full Version : Avatar i did using GIMP

01-20-2012, 01:57 AM
My current avatar is the one i just finished with GIMP..still can't figure out how to only use the image and not have to flatten it so it has a bg, or at least leave it with a transparent bg~
but other than not knowing how to do that I removed the bg from the original image and free selected his sword and changed the hue of it. I used the smudge tool to blend in the outline of Raziel with what i couldn't erase of the old bg. O and I also inverted the sword after i changed the hue of it so it has a black interior.

Original Image below

01-20-2012, 02:45 AM
Hmmm did you turn your alpha channel on and did you save it as a png?

01-20-2012, 02:54 AM
i did, whenever i goto save it it says GIMP PNG plug-in cannot handle layer offset, et cetera.

01-20-2012, 03:15 AM
Well I just did a really quick render using GIMP, and my image turned out to be transparent.

Are you sure you added the Alpha Channel to your layer? If possible, can you describe the steps you did?

01-20-2012, 03:16 AM
hmmm, maybe I'm missing files, I have never had this problem before.

01-20-2012, 03:19 AM
Nothing like a little re-install can't handle if that's the case. The thing is, this isn't the first time I've seen this happen to people, so I just was curious to find out what happened here.

01-20-2012, 03:44 AM
i don't understand, i re installed it, went through it again and merged visible layers and the image shows on my pc as a pic with a transparent bg but everytime i post it on OS it ends up with a white bg >.<
so now im going to try a hosting site.
well the hosting site didn't work either, lets see if it shows transparent in the post at least...if it doesn't im gonna just go pass out for a few hrs >.>

Alright! Problem solved! Proportions were larger than 180 height so i had to re-size it. Otherwise GIMP is perfect and its FREE!
ty for the assist!

01-20-2012, 04:02 AM
Hmmm. This is the exact same problem I've seen with others who upload .png avatars made with GIMP.

I still havent figured out why this happens, so I can only suggest a work-around option. Just use the forum background color (#1b1b1b) as the background layer -- it's not transparency, but it works.
nvm LOL I forgot about that haha. I was focused too much on the software end that I forgot about the actual uploading part :d

01-20-2012, 04:04 AM
I figured it out, check out my previous post, i edited it how I fixed it, turns out it was quite simple.

01-21-2012, 08:13 AM
I made a new avatar using GIMP once again, let me know what you think...